Dangerous Conditions at Various Subway Stations

Via Garibaldi 8

25 minutes ago, boweryboy said:

Canal is a messy patchwork of transfers.

1. The BMT Manhattan Bridge tracks are far too narrow for those transferring to the J/Z, R/W, or 6. There are barricades at the ends of staircases to prevent people from flying down the stairs and onto the tracks (this should be reason enough to widen!)
  2. The BMT Nassau platform transfer points are the absolute worst. The lines surrounding the stairs are quite dangerous as there is little to no room for others trying to maneuver around. Platforms are too narrow and staircases are not wide enough to support more than two lanes of traffic.

Widening is hard without impacting the buildings on either side.

That being said, I've always thought that they should just eminent domain the southern stretch of Canal between Lafayette and Centre to build a proper transfer complex.

1 hour ago, P3F said:

Not going to lie, at some outdoor stations like Kings Highway on the Brighton I feel like the yellow ADA strip is the most slippery part of the platform... It's just plastic with some bumps & ridges; I can't see it actually being engineered to not be slippery when wet.

I'd much rather stand on the concrete, which at least doesn't feel like you'll slip and fall if you step too quickly.

Those ADA strips are supposed to be ceramic, actually. I'd be surprised if they're using plastic, but it still might be more slippery than concrete. 

11 hours ago, Deucey said:

Two issues stick out:

1) stairs from the (6) are slick to where if you slip, the only thing keeping you from kissing a train is the metal handrail on the platform edge; and

2) transferring between (6) and (R)(W) using the (N)(Q) platform requires a lot of bobbing and weaving along with walking the platform edge because of the number of people on the platform and where they stand, combined with the platform’s narrowness.

I actually try to avoid Canal Street.  I find the conditions in that station pretty bad... It's always damp and wet somewhere.  The funny thing is, the most dangerous stations may be the ones renovated recently... 

8 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Those ADA strips are supposed to be ceramic, actually. I'd be surprised if they're using plastic, but it still might be more slippery than concrete. 

It looks and feels like the way P3F described it... Like plastic with bumps and ridges, and I agree that it seems to have the opposite affect of warning people of danger and keeping people safe.  They are more a safety hazard if anything.

Archived