Dangerous Conditions at Various Subway Stations

Via Garibaldi 8

I've had to take the subway in the last few days and I must say that the floor tiles at each of the stations I've been in have been extremely slippery.  Not only that but some have been downright dangerous.  I had to get out of my BxM1 express bus on Monday and get the subway at 68th street. That station is in horrible shape. Part of the platform was essentially closed off due to the conditions. Sadly Grand Central and Times Square weren't any better. I also slipped and almost fell this morning at Grand Central and that's with me walking carefully with rain/snow boots on. I'm just wondering who decided that the floor tiles used were good for such weather?  Just because the tiles are wet doesn't mean that people should go flying everywhere. I suspect that's why I saw so much personnel at various stations.  What's worse is they have stations that are leaking or have water everywhere and it just sits there. How about making the people "guarding" the platforms be more useful and have cleaners come and clean up the mess? <_<

This whole platform thing had me wondering if we hear of more people being struck by trains in part because of how slippery they are? I can't ever recall hearing of so many people being struck by trains in the past, and I know some people are either mentally disturbed or inebriated but still.  

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've had to take the subway in the last few days and I must say that the floor tiles at each of the stations I've been in have been extremely slippery.  Not only that but some have been downright dangerous.  I had to get out of my BxM1 express bus on Monday and get the subway at 68th street. That station is in horrible shape. Part of the platform was essentially closed off due to the conditions. Sadly Grand Central and Times Square weren't any better. I also slipped and almost fell this morning at Grand Central and that's with me walking carefully with rain/snow boots on. I'm just wondering who decided that the floor tiles used were good for such weather?  Just because the tiles are wet doesn't mean that people should go flying everywhere. I suspect that's why I saw so much personnel at various stations.  What's worse is they have stations that are leaking or have water everywhere and it just sits there. How about making the people "guarding" the platforms be more useful and have cleaners come and clean up the mess? <_<

This whole platform thing had me wondering if we hear of more people being struck by trains in part because of how slippery they are? I can't ever recall hearing of so many people being struck by trains in the past, and I know some people are either mentally disturbed or inebriated but still.  

Some stations have wet tiles that never get any treatment from the station cleaners. I have to crouch-walk to prevent myself from slipping.

3 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Some stations have wet tiles that never get any treatment from the station cleaners. I have to crouch-walk to prevent myself from slipping.

lol... A few days ago I made the mistake of getting a cappuccino before heading to the subway. Here I am slipping and sliding about trying to avoid people with my coffee and not fall onto the tracks since the platform was packed of course.  Then I had to slip and slide to find what looked like the only garbage can on the entire platform to throw my cup out.  I tell ya, it really feels like the system is falling apart.  They don't want to collect garbage because they don't want to clean the platforms.  What gets me is they like to show all of these guys on the tracks working hard, but aside from that, it seems as if no other maintenance is done.

Just now, Deucey said:

I don’t understand why the stations need tile when concrete and asphalt are less slippery surfaces for pedestrians when wet.

I don't mind the tile as it is more aesthetically pleasing.  I just think it's absurd that they didn't have the foresight to use material that wouldn't be so slippery. I mean the tiles at Grand Central and downright dangerous.  

19 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't mind the tile as it is more aesthetically pleasing.  I just think it's absurd that they didn't have the foresight to use material that wouldn't be so slippery. I mean the tiles at Grand Central and downright dangerous.  

Aesthetics are nice, but in a humid and snowy clime with leaks everywhere, using tiles that don’t have texture patterns to increase friction (and decrease slippage) is a terribad decision.

Even heavy duty paving stones would’ve been aesthetically and frictionally superior if stained concrete wasn’t a serious option.

Hell, I’d even do wood planks since those can be replaced as needed at Home Depot.

But tile works great in waterproof stations (WMATA) or outdoor systems in places that don’t need salt (Miami, LA, SF). Just not NYC.

5 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Aesthetics are nice, but in a humid and snowy clime with leaks everywhere, using tiles that don’t have texture patterns to increase friction (and decrease slippage) is a terribad decision.

Even heavy duty paving stones would’ve been aesthetically and frictionally superior if stained concrete wasn’t a serious option.

Hell, I’d even do wood planks since those can be replaced as needed at Home Depot.

But tile works great in waterproof stations (WMATA) or outdoor systems in places that don’t need salt (Miami, LA, SF). Just not NYC.

lol... My entire apartment is tile, but I don't slip when it's wet (i.e. shower) or there's water on the kitchen floor for example, so clearly there are good quality tiles out there as you said.  It's just bizarre that no one would think about it since they're so concerned about lawsuits.  What was funny was I almost fell on the mezzanine level, which has those old red looking tiles. Those didn't appear to be nearly as slippery as the ones on the platform. 

Grand Central platform on the (4)(5)(6) is like an ice skating rink. This morning, the overcrowding at the station was so bad that the conductor announced at 59 Street that there was severe crowding at Grand Central and that if you weren't getting off at Grand Central, move away from the doors and into the center of the car to make room for boarding passengers... and the conductor was not kidding! The platform at Grand Central was slammed and it took over 5 minutes for the doors to close and the train to pull out of the station...

I knew Lex was in bad condition when the platform conductor was advising passengers to stay on the (6) instead of transferring to the (4)(5).

9 minutes ago, <6>PelhamExp said:

Grand Central platform on the (4)(5)(6) is like an ice skating rink. This morning, the overcrowding at the station was so bad that the conductor announced at 59 Street that there was severe crowding at Grand Central and that if you weren't getting off at Grand Central, move away from the doors and into the center of the car to make room for boarding passengers... and the conductor was not kidding! The platform at Grand Central was slammed and it took over 5 minutes for the doors to close and the train to pull out of the station...

I knew Lex was in bad condition when the platform conductor was advising passengers to stay on the (6) instead of transferring to the (4)(5).

Which is why I would in that situation take the Broadway Line if I were going south of 14th Street from there, even if it's a bit more roundabout simply because it's likely less crowded.

10 hours ago, <6>PelhamExp said:

Last week I used the Lex line once in the evening. The mornings haven't been so bad to my surprise, but the evenings have been pure hell. Now that the holidays are over, the overcrowding is very apparent and it is worsening.  Every train is packed, including the express now, and the (6) ... My God... I had to push and shove to get off at 77th street. I really am going to have to change my commute because it is making me late to my meetings.

10 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Which is why I would in that situation take the Broadway Line if I were going south of 14th Street from there, even if it's a bit more roundabout simply because it's likely less crowded.

My other option is the 7th Avenue line, which isn't much better quite frankly, and the "limited" stop buses are just stuck in traffic. They really need to somehow start empty trains at Grand Central or something because the (6) starts down at City Hall, but usually gets slammed down by Union Square.

And that's why I avoid the Lexington Line all together,  unless I need to be on that corridor, and since SAS ain't coming anytime soon, well have to figure a way to alleviate or expand these platforms and find a way to run more TPH. I'm just wondering why nobody sued the MTA or Cuomo for this.

13 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Last week I used the Lex line once in the evening. The mornings haven't been so bad to my surprise, but the evenings have been pure hell. Now that the holidays are over, the overcrowding is very apparent and it is worsening.  Every train is packed, including the express now, and the (6) ... My God... I had to push and shove to get off at 77th street. I really am going to have to change my commute because it is making me late to my meetings.

My other option is the 7th Avenue line, which isn't much better quite frankly, and the "limited" stop buses are just stuck in traffic. They really need to somehow start empty trains at Grand Central or something because the (6) starts down at City Hall, but usually gets slammed down by Union Square.

I took the downtown 6 at 86th St. yesterday at 2 pm, after transferring from the BxM1 bus. It was rush-hour crush loaded. At 2 pm.

1 hour ago, Italianstallion said:

I took the downtown 6 at 86th St. yesterday at 2 pm, after transferring from the BxM1 bus. It was rush-hour crush loaded. At 2 pm.

Something is definitely wrong on the line, and the (MTA) has been very tight lipped about this. I've used the (6) on weekends and it's been almost like rush hour as well. To me it doesn't make any sense that after the (Q) started running to 96th street, the Lex line gained some breathing room, and now suddenly it's totally slammed again and then some, and the (Q) has been packed every time I get it. The waits have been quite long too, so it seems to be a lack of trains that's the problem because the (Q) ... sometimes I can wait a good 10 minutes, maybe longer, and then it's packed 4 stops in.

26 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Something is definitely wrong on the line, and the (MTA) has been very tight lipped about this. I've used the (6) on weekends and it's been almost like rush hour as well. To me it doesn't make any sense that after the (Q) started running to 96th street, the Lex line gained some breathing room, and now suddenly it's totally slammed again and then some, and the (Q) has been packed every time I get it. The waits have been quite long too, so it seems to be a lack of trains that's the problem because the (Q) ... sometimes I can wait a good 10 minutes, maybe longer, and then it's packed 4 stops in.

I think it may have something to do with these equipment changes recently, the shifting of the R142/142A/188's between the (4)(5)(6)(7)  has probably left the (6) short on trains and the (MTA) would rather their mouths fell of than admit that....

They gotta save face after all.

Indeed. 10+ minute service gaps during rush hours have become the norm. Platforms at places like GCT get hella crowded, affecting the (4)(5) by increasing their dwell times by physically disallowing passengers to disboard. (6)s get slammed and overdwelled at every stop, something made worse by the narrower doors present on the 62s.

The Lex actually becoming a public safety hazard — especially with those aforementioned tiles...

37 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

How so? I remember when they redid that station. It was FREEZING in the middle of the summertime. No idea why it was so cold...

Two issues stick out:

1) stairs from the (6) are slick to where if you slip, the only thing keeping you from kissing a train is the metal handrail on the platform edge; and

2) transferring between (6) and (R)(W) using the (N)(Q) platform requires a lot of bobbing and weaving along with walking the platform edge because of the number of people on the platform and where they stand, combined with the platform’s narrowness.

19 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Two issues stick out:

1) stairs from the (6) are slick to where if you slip, the only thing keeping you from kissing a train is the metal handrail on the platform edge; and

2) transferring between (6) and (R)(W) using the (N)(Q) platform requires a lot of bobbing and weaving along with walking the platform edge because of the number of people on the platform and where they stand, combined with the platform’s narrowness.

And to think those platforms at Canal were not used at all for many years because of the Manhattan Bridge being shut down on that end.

I never remembered the platforms at Canal being THAT bad on the (N)(Q).

3 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

And to think those platforms at Canal were not used at all for many years because of the Manhattan Bridge being shut down on that end.

I never remembered the platforms at Canal being THAT bad on the (N)(Q).

One of the joys of my former company relocating from Williamsburg to Chelsea was not having to do that transfer anymore during rainy days to get to South Ferry (I’d normally take (J) to Broad Street and walk, since the walk to Marcy from Greendesk (Grand Ferry Park) took just as long as walking to Bedford (L) with less crowding).

Gawd I hated that transfer, especially since it was before (W) came back so I’d be waiting for an (R) during rush hour and two ferries would leave before I even got a train.

And that time I got bumped and almost fell on the track as a (Q) was coming in and no one tried to grab me from falling - had to flail until I balanced myself.

Yeah, I HATE THAT STATION.

On 1/12/2018 at 12:47 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I had gotten of the (E) train at the Kew Gardens–Union Turnpike subway station and the second I exited the train I slipped and nearly fell due to the yellow platform edge being a hazard, despite that it's INTENDED to be a slip-proof surface.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

How so? I remember when they redid that station. It was FREEZING in the middle of the summertime. No idea why it was so cold...

The (J) platform's tiles were quite slippery when I was there a few weeks ago.

5 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I had gotten of the (E) train at the Kew Gardens–Union Turnpike subway station and the second I exited the train I slipped and nearly fell due to the yellow platform edge being a hazard, despite that it's INTENDED to be a slip-proof surface.

Not going to lie, at some outdoor stations like Kings Highway on the Brighton I feel like the yellow ADA strip is the most slippery part of the platform... It's just plastic with some bumps & ridges; I can't see it actually being engineered to not be slippery when wet.

I'd much rather stand on the concrete, which at least doesn't feel like you'll slip and fall if you step too quickly.

Canal is a messy patchwork of transfers.

1. The BMT Manhattan Bridge tracks are far too narrow for those transferring to the J/Z, R/W, or 6. There are barricades at the ends of staircases to prevent people from flying down the stairs and onto the tracks (this should be reason enough to widen!)
  2. The BMT Nassau platform transfer points are the absolute worst. The lines surrounding the stairs are quite dangerous as there is little to no room for others trying to maneuver around. Platforms are too narrow and staircases are not wide enough to support more than two lanes of traffic.

Archived