New MTA conductor work schedule question.

Dred

I am thinking about taking a job for a MTA conductor.

My question is about how flexible are the work hours when making your schedule. Does your schedule change every week?

Would it be possible during the summer to not work on Saturdays and Sundays between 10Am to 4PM? I could work any other time outside of those hours but wondering how easy it will be to have those hours free on the weekends.

Thanks.

When you first start out, you will be on the extra list. Your job assignment be different everyday (if you're not sitting on report) so your hours will vary. Your days off will be the same week to week. I can't remember if conductors have the "extra extra list" but if they do, then it's the same thing as the regular extra list except that your days off change from week to week and the crew office can send you to much more locations.

When it comes time to pick a job every 6 months, it's done by seniority. I'm not sure if the picks (let's say if you started today) will allow you to pick a job where you can try to find something for your summer schedule but even if it did, it's all seniority based and there's only going to be so many jobs that fit your needs. If the person in front of you takes that last job, then you're out of luck. 

The other thing that you do have to consider is the division you will be assigned to (numbered or lettered lines) and the report locations for each. You may live in The Bronx but if they say "Alright on Sunday, you have a 5pm report at Jamaica Center on the J line", that will definitely affect your schedule.

Archived