South Shore residents concerned about late night express bus service

Lil 57

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I didn't say that. I would have it continue up to Midtown which is what it should do. They're just being cheap bastards. 

I'm saying that because "Don't bother" was literally the other option they considered.

In any case, this whole redesign has a lot of experimental aspects, and this is one of them. If the off-peak Downtown-only service ends up being a success (which I believe it will), they might be able to justify having it on other routes off-peak, for better or for worse. As I mentioned, I was expecting something completely different schedules-wise than what they released. Was it an honest lack of communication between the scheduling department and planning department, and are they scrambling to fix it before these changes go into place? Or was it intentionally & maliciously done in an effort to reduce ridership and therefore reduce the amount of service they have to run? Seeing the utter disaster that these schedules are, would we be able to trust them to reinvest the resources saved from a Downtown-only service into more frequent service and more Staten Island coverage? I would like to think so, but again, this whole schedule fiasco has really hurt my trust (and I'm sure the trust of many Staten Islanders, those who weren't completely cynical) in them.

39 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I'm saying that because "Don't bother" was literally the other option they considered.

In any case, this whole redesign has a lot of experimental aspects, and this is one of them. If the off-peak Downtown-only service ends up being a success (which I believe it will), they might be able to justify having it on other routes off-peak, for better or for worse. As I mentioned, I was expecting something completely different schedules-wise than what they released. Was it an honest lack of communication between the scheduling department and planning department, and are they scrambling to fix it before these changes go into place? Or was it intentionally & maliciously done in an effort to reduce ridership and therefore reduce the amount of service they have to run? Seeing the utter disaster that these schedules are, would we be able to trust them to reinvest the resources saved from a Downtown-only service into more frequent service and more Staten Island coverage? I would like to think so, but again, this whole schedule fiasco has really hurt my trust (and I'm sure the trust of many Staten Islanders, those who weren't completely cynical) in them.

Heh please. You've always been naïve will be the (MTA) . My eyes were opened when I moved to Staten Island.

18 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

So literally leave those people stranded who formerly had X17 service? 

They won't be stranded if they check the new schedule and adjust according lol as to not miss the last trip... It sucks yes but it's not like they are changing the scheduled by surprise

2 hours ago, trife86 said:

They won't be stranded if they check the new schedule and adjust according lol as to not miss the last trip... It sucks yes but it's not like they are changing the scheduled by surprise

And if they work an evening shift? It's one thing to ask to be let out a half hour earlier. It's another thing to miss half your shift because the bus doesn't run. Like I said, there's college students with evening classes, and people with all sorts of jobs who need this later service, and to have it pulled out from under them (when they promised that all neighborhoods would at least maintain their current span of service) isn't right.

10 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

And if they work an evening shift? It's one thing to ask to be let out a half hour earlier. It's another thing to miss half your shift because the bus doesn't run. Like I said, there's college students with evening classes, and people with all sorts of jobs who need this later service, and to have it pulled out from under them (when they promised that all neighborhoods would at least maintain their current span of service) isn't right.

I'm not saying its the right or wrong thing,  simply saying at least they are given some advance notice is all.....

46 minutes ago, trife86 said:

I'm not saying its the right or wrong thing,  simply saying at least they are given some advance notice is all.....

Yeah advance notice to pay through the nose or make arrangements to have someone pick them up. I'd be quite annoyed with this arrangement.  Something else that may happen is people will just hangout somewhere and wait to avoid having to pay for car service and thus that first bus maybe really crowded.  That's what I would do here and there.  I mean hell they're going to raise the fare next year again (I expect it to be $7.00 each way come 2019 - how much do they expect people to keep paying already?), then you need to set aside money for an Uber too... 

9 hours ago, trife86 said:

Yeah, some....when throughout the whole process they were promising them later service, and a month before the change takes effect (they were released around July 13th IIRC), they pull the old switcheroo.....

Archived