Train Operator Schoolcar Experience - 7604

Harlem

I started Schoolcar today. Thought I'd make a note of my experience and anything that may help someone waiting to be hired:

- The first day was orientation at the Union Hall. 65 Train Operators. 20-plus Conductors. A few cleaners. A few supervisors. There were also a few guys from Staten Island. 

- Lots of people were out of uniform. Maybe they just didn't care but I'm sure they'll learn the hard way. Some were even on cell phones while in the room, or late. Today HR was in charge, the atmosphere will probably change once we get to the school.

- Andy Byford gave a pep speech. Seems like he knows his stuff.

- The security briefing was also interesting. Given by an ex-cop. My takeaway: Someone's always watching/Don't break the rules.

- There are more than two steps in the train operator pay. Basic yard pay then an intermediary step, then a road pay step. I didn't know that. Though it was just yard pay then road pay.

- Night differential is about a 1.50. 

- The percentage we pay for our pension is based on 40 hours at your hourly rate. Overtime is not included in the calculation.

- It was a diverse group. Some just a few years out of high school, some seniors, most in between. A lot more men than women. 

- It's great to have a pension but the pension plan we have is not as great as prior pension plans. I'm grateful but jealous of Tiers 1-4.

- The medical coverage begins 90 days after today, our first day. Then I think we have to wait for the 1st of the month after our 90th day. That's a long time.

- Tomorrow we start at 7am at the school.  

On 8/19/2019 at 7:17 PM, Harlem said:

I started Schoolcar today. Thought I'd make a note of my experience and anything that may help someone waiting to be hired:

- Lots of people were out of uniform. Maybe they just didn't care but I'm sure they'll learn the hard way. Some were even on cell phones while in the room, or late. Today HR was in charge, the atmosphere will probably change once we get to the school.

Oh, they're gonna learn quickly when it hits them in the wallet when they get sent home for the day.