Older Cars

Smoot178

Why is the MTA reefing so many older cars? I mean I know they are older tech and maybe a little louder, but why can't we keep these awesome cars in service on more neglected lines? Are there any reasons I am forgetting? To be honest, I wouldn't mind riding on a blast from the past every once in a while.

Some even have nicer seats!

Why is the MTA reefing so many older cars? I mean I know they are older tech and maybe a little louder, but why can't we keep these awesome cars in service on more neglected lines? Are there any reasons I am forgetting? To be honest, I wouldn't mind riding on a blast from the past every once in a while.

Many reasons but mainly Not enough yard storage and carbody deterioration issues (particularly roofs). Also if these cars stick around they'd be due for another overhaul soon and replacement of major parts but that doesn't solve carbody deterioration.

They've been great cars, very reliable over the years, but their time is almost up...

The cars=40 years, dude. Just by the look of the train it might not be safe.

Actually I would argue the opposite. Why isn't the MTA getting rid of the R32 and R42 fast enough.

Lots of constant work ongoing and yet there never is much results to show for it considering the financial crisis we are in right now to prepare for the future.

They are being retired cuz:

-There isnt enough room to hold in service or in Yard

- As they age the Mechanical features fade out and firms who developed the old cars may not have the right technology for repairs

-They cant be in service for too Long as the T/A needs to order more fleets every 5-9 Years.

-All Roures have cars in service, unless the T/A wants to improve service and minimal delays then they can keep certain cars

These older cars have been in service since 1964-1970. Most of them are 40 years old if not older. Such is a subway car's life span. Most of the cars have outlived their usefulness save for the R32s, but those cars do have mroe mechanical failures than some of the other cars being retired (although I blame this on the yard). Also, the parts are harder to find because they are antiquated.

Reefing seems best, but before that was the finalized, were any foreign countries interested in acquiring older cars? I know Cuba maintains old vehicles (out of necessity), and there are other second and third world countries that seek and use our "hand me downs".

Archived