MN Fare Zones & stations

ultrarunner2020

Hi guys;

Is it safe to assume that if I buy an off-peak ticket from Croton-Harmon to GCT but board the train at Tarrytown (or anywhere between the two stations), that there won't be any issues?

Reason I ask is that I am a long-distance runner, and often run from Van Cortlandt Park to Tarrytown, and sometimes to Croton.
I like to purchase my e-ticket prior to leaving on my run, so if I think I may run to Croton, I would purchase a ticked from Croton to GCT, rather than from Tarrytown.
Considering that Tarrytown and Croton are in the same fare zone, I would assume it would be OK to buy the Croton ticket.
Technically, it should still be OK to use a Tarrytown to GCT ticket if I board at Croton, but that might be a little more questionable.

I don't know what Metro North policies are regarding this, but I am asking because of the possibility that they might frown on boarding the train anywhere other than at the station printed (or displayed) on the ticket - for logistical reasons perhaps.

Of course, I could hold off buying my ticket until I reach Tarrytown, as I always make a food stop there. It's just more convenient to purchase it before I leave home.
Then, there's the old-fashioned alternative: Buy the ticket at a TVM at the station. But I have missed more than one train because the train was pulling into the station as I ran down the stairs, and was gone by the time I had purchased my ticket. I don't want to pay the penalty fare buying it on the train.

Thanks for your help

FW-

Conductors only give a damn about the zones, nothing else. When they give you a seat check, they punch the zone on there or rip the top off, so they know you're not going the full distance. When they come around to collect tickets for the new pax, they scan seat checks to see if anyone rode past their zone. Simple, archaic system and works for the most part only if the train isn't packed like sardines.

Edited by danielhg121

15 minutes ago, ultrarunner2020 said:

I was once on a train from Tarrytown to GCT that was completely full, and the conductor never got to take my (paper) ticket. I was able to use it for my next trip.

That's happened to me lots of times. Sometimes even when the train isn't that full! Makes you wonder how much revenue is lost...