How would you bring back subway services

Idk but the rockaway park (S) should be renamed to (H) externally on maps and rollsigns period point blank.

The (V) is a subway line everyone wants back but knows good and well it likely won't, then again the (M) is nearly a loop and something should be done with it. IF we restore the (V), it's last stop cannot be 2 Av. We can't easily restore (V) service like we did with the (W). Plus it's slots are already filled by (R) & (M) trains, so there's almost no point.

The (9) is never coming back. They've already removed all (9) programs from the R142/A.

The (K) is ambiguous, I have like several different ideas if the MTA were to reintroduce said letter back into the system.

6 hours ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

Idk but the rockaway park (S) should be renamed to (H) externally on maps and rollsigns period point blank.

The (V) is a subway line everyone wants back but knows good and well it likely won't, then again the (M) is nearly a loop and something should be done with it. IF we restore the (V), it's last stop cannot be 2 Av. We can't easily restore (V) service like we did with the (W). Plus it's slots are already filled by (R) & (M) trains, so there's almost no point.

The (9) is never coming back. They've already removed all (9) programs from the R142/A.

The (K) is ambiguous, I have like several different ideas if the MTA were to reintroduce said letter back into the system.

6 hours ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

Also one more thing. If were going to bring back the (brownM), it's last stop can't be Broad St or Bay Parkway.

The Rockaway Park (S) doesn't need to be renamed back to the (H), it's a shuttle line.

Why are you assuming everyone wants the (V) back? While I agree that the (V) shouldn't terminate at 2 Av, the better option would be to send it to Church Av with the (V). This way the (F) can run full time express during the weekdays, no one would complain because they still have their direct Manhattan service. However, that can't happen because the (M) has become a great success. Shame that it took the (MTA) to be forced in running this kind of service because of budget cuts.

There's no good reason whatsoever to bring back the (9) of course. Only way they should is to convert some stations into express stations and have a lower level single tunnel that is between Dyckman St and 145 St along the (1) for peak express service. Even that is complicated.

I'm both interested in hearing what you got for the (K), but also scared because I get the feeling it'll end up making things worse. Personally, if there was a line that was to be renamed, it would be the (A) to Lefferts. By that, I mean rename all (A) to Lefferts as the (K) so there is no more confusion for passengers wanting service to JFK. Because of the (A) getting NTT's, it'll be much easier and would basically run the same way the (N) and (W) runs currently.

As for the (brownM), there is no way to bring back that line anymore. As someone that rode the (brownM) to be disappointed in hearing myself say that, it just can't. The (M) has done a better job. While I agree the last stop shouldn't be Broad St, I don't agree with the Bay Parkway part. That stop has actually helped West End riders have something, especially since West End for a very long time has had a supplement line that being the (brownM). It is a better stop compared to Broad St and there isn't any other place to run it either. Brighton riders won't want the (brownM) and neither would other riders. While Bay Ride could benefit the extra service, it isn't the best terminal because it's 2 tracks only. It sucks that the  (W) doesn't run to Bay Parkway, it would be very beneficial.

But there is a third track between 86th and 95th Streets. Unfortunately, it only has switches at the south end of the track, so trains can only access this middle track from 95th St. What they could (and perhaps should) do is install two switches at the north end of the track. This way, a second 4th Ave local service can terminate at 86th St - which is a very well-used station - while the (R) terminates at 95th St exclusively. 

As for the V, yes I don’t think it’s coming back as a 6th Ave service. Maybe it might come back as a second 2nd Ave service. Maybe it should, so that SAS south of the 63rd St Tunnel can have an equal or near-equal amount of service as north of 63rd. 

The (K) is the best option if we were to reintroduce a letter into the system.

The H is used internally for the Rockaway Park Shuttle

I is too similar to the number 1 so it is not used (Unless you use the two lines that are at the ends of the I in several fonts (Helvetica & Akzidenz-Grotesk not being either of those)

O is for a similar reason to I, but it's with 0 instead of 1.

P has been used for several proposed routes that never wore

T is already earmarked for the 2nd Avenue Subway

U sounds too similar to the word "you."

V was a line but it got cut and chances of it being used as a subway line is very very slim.

X is preserved for R32 rollsigns but it's never used

Y sounds similar to the word "why."

(Also why did they use (V)/(W) as the new 2001 services, I mean W is fine but the jump from F all the way to V was weird.)

41 minutes ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

The (K) is the best option if we were to reintroduce a letter into the system.

The H is used internally for the Rockaway Park Shuttle

I is too similar to the number 1 so it is not used (Unless you use the two lines that are at the ends of the I in several fonts (Helvetica & Akzidenz-Grotesk not being either of those)

O is for a similar reason to I, but it's with 0 instead of 1.

P has been used for several proposed routes that never wore

T is already earmarked for the 2nd Avenue Subway

U sounds too similar to the word "you."

V was a line but it got cut and chances of it being used as a subway line is very very slim.

X is preserved for R32 rollsigns but it's never used

Y sounds similar to the word "why."

(Also why did they use (V)/(W) as the new 2001 services, I mean W is fine but the jump from F all the way to V was weird.)

There's really no way to reintroduce the (K) back without moving around other lines in the process. I've been seeing a lot of posts that reintroduces the (K) as a second 8 Av line that runs along QBL either local or express with the (E). The (K) is pretty redundant if they were to bring it back the way it was before it was cut because the (B) is in the way which most people want to take that instead.

The (V) was introduced because 63 St was being connected to QBL. IIRC, originally the (V) was supposed to run via 63 St with the (F) continuing along 53 St. However, plans changed because people preferred having the (F) via 63 St (personally, that wasn't a good idea because it basically screwed up the interlining and made QBL worse). It took that name because there weren't any other letters available to use. The (H) is internal for the Rockaway Park Shuttle so they couldn't have used it regardless. 

As for the (W), it was basically the Yellow B's child running the same service pattern from Ditmars Blvd to Coney Island via Astoria local (with express service iirc), 60 St, Broadway express, Manhattan Bridge, 4 Av express, and West End local. Essentially, it's the (N) rerouted via West End. It was created because they didn't want to bring back the Yellow B and D probably because people would've been confused during the Manhattan Bridge construction of the north side. So they brought in the <Q> and (W) as the replacement to alleviate confusion.

The Rockaway Park shuttle should actually just simply be redesignated as the (H) .  Both internally and on signs, maps, and the like.

The 42nd shuttle can be redesignated as a purple 8.  Yes, not the trackage of (7) but essentially follows the same routing connecting two of its major stations.

This will leave the Franklin Ave shuttle as the sole (S) train.

Part of my deinterlining plans provide for 4 services along 8th Ave:  (A) &M as the locals, (C) & (E) as express

4 services along 6the Ave: (F) & K as the locals, and (B) & (D) as the express

3 services along Broadway:  (R) as local, (N) and (Q) as express.

WIthout getting into too many details of the reroutes of all of the above, the new letter Orange-K is a service that starts at Jamaica Center in Queens, runs express from Union Turnpike to Queensbridge, goes over the 63rd street tunnel, runs local along 6th Ave, then switches south of W4th to what are now the 8th Ave local tracks (but running under 6th and Church) and ending at WTC.  It is quite similar to today's (E) , except that it runs along 6th Ave  and the 63rd street tunnel.

Since I have 4 8th Ave services, I need a new letter for one of the services.  I use M, since I route an 8th Ave local through the W4th switches to the Williamsburg Bridge and then to Myrtle, so it seems appropriate to call this an M train, since it still follows the M routing south of W4.  But pushing the M to 8th Ave would mean that I need a new designation for my 4th 6th Ave service, so I bring back the K.

[It is a deinterlining plan making heavy use of the W4th switches.  6th Ave locals head to WTC or Fulton.  8th Ave locals head east on Houston to Culver or Myrtle lines.]

The letters that I use in my plans: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, Q, R, S , Z.  The new routings are the H as the current Rockaway Park shuttle and the K as described above.  Most of the letter routes do something different, but run along part of their traditional routings.  G, J, L, Q, S, and Z are unchanged from today's pattern.  

If any are interested in seeing my plan, I posted a basic outline of it on 8/11/2021 at the top of page 7 of the "De-interlining problem or solution" thread.

https://www.nyctransitforums.com/topic/51985-de-interlining-problem-or-solution/page/7/#comments

My plan is basically the same as posted there, with a few changes of designation:

What I labelled (C) in that thread is now a blue-M, since it serves Myrtle.

The (E) mentioned in the other thread will have Far Rockaway trains labelled as (E) and Lefferts trains labelled as (C) .  Aside from this, (C) and (E) are identical in the new plan.

What I labelled (F) in that thread, is now my orange-K that I explained above.

Orange-H in that thread is now to be referred to as (F) in the new plan.  I made this change to keep (F) along 179th, since that is more familiar.

I dump the Brown-K and continue to refer to that as (Z) .  Even though it is a pet peeve, (Z) is more familiar as the skip-stop (J) alternate, leaving K for the new 6th Ave service.

For any comments on the general operation of the plan, please refer to the plan in the de-interling thread and make comments in that thread.  The new designations break the "purist" lettering scheme that I had on 8/11/21, but it preserves H on the Rockaway Park shuttle and also preserves (F) to 179th and M to Metropolitan Ave.