Man dead after jumping NYC subway turnstile, breaking neck

R10 2952

12 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Frankly, a lot of problems could be solved in that regard if NYC had:

a) one DA and court as opposed to five (but that would require consolidating all 5 boroughs into a single New York County)

b) the DA was an appointed official as opposed to a separately elected one (but that would require at the very least, a referendum or ballot initiative)

Most other cities are covered by a single prosecutor as opposed to multiple ones, and in Europe, most prosecutors are appointed officials, not elected.  Takes a lot of the political bullshit out of the process.

Even though we are getting off topic, I do agree that it would be far better to have one DA over the whole city.  I don't think it makes sense to have five separate counties serving one city.  The boroughs should be used to identify a location, but the boroughs should not have an independent legal identity.

On 1/4/2022 at 9:34 PM, R10 2952 said:

"A 28-year-old man died when he jumped a subway turnstile in Queens on Sunday and broke his neck landing on the cement floor, cops said."

https://nypost.com/2022/01/02/man-fatally-hits-head-jumping-nyc-subway-turnstile/

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Saw on Reddit, all I have to say is that's how Karma works. 

18 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh please. I guess you haven't heard of the Fair Fares Program, which is tailored specifically for people that can't afford the fare. I'm sorry, but from what I have observed, the truly poor are not the ones fare beating. Those people manage to scrape change together to pay the fare. I see plenty of middle class types that simply don't want to pay skipping the fare, simply because they can.

I have several friends that are cops. They aren't going to waste their time arresting fare beaters. For what when they won't be prosecuted? You want to talk about data? Give me some data on the crimes that are committed by a lot of fare beaters. You think the people involved in the most recent shootings, platform pushings, stabbings, etc. paid their fare? LOL Highly unlikely, so I believe that the broken windows policy is spot on, which is the idea that if you let the small things go, they escalate into bigger things.  Eric Adams gets it because he was a Transit cop with the NYPD. This Manhattan DA does not.

We all make decisions, and there should be consequences for those actions. Not having any consequences for fare beating sends the message that it is ok, and fewer and fewer people won't pay that have the means to pay and we're seeing that with the growing fare beating numbers published by the (MTA).

The (MTA) doesn't operate for free. It costs money to operate the service and the fares are needed to help cover some of those costs.

You hit all the points on this one.

And to add on to it, a lot of the young activists will to try to "cancel" anyone who says what you said in bold, but that's the truth. I've seen a lot of people on social media taking videos of themselves showing other people how to fare beat, and their reasoning is "f*** the fare". 

So why should the people that actually pay their fare get service cut because of these morons? Farebeating should be prosecuted, because as long as the DA looks the other way, it sends a message that it's ok to farebeat. 

On 1/12/2022 at 11:01 AM, Lawrence St said:

You hit all the points on this one.

And to add on to it, a lot of the young activists will to try to "cancel" anyone who says what you said in bold, but that's the truth. I've seen a lot of people on social media taking videos of themselves showing other people how to fare beat, and their reasoning is "f*** the fare". 

So why should the people that actually pay their fare get service cut because of these morons? Farebeating should be prosecuted, because as long as the DA looks the other way, it sends a message that it's ok to farebeat. 

I agree.  And to the extent that we have no bail policies and other leniencies coming out on the prosecution side, we will unfortunately continue to see an increase in all kinds of crime.

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

Don’t worry. Plenty of other threads seem to be getting a pass for being off-topic.

Well there's that, but I'd also go a step further and argue that the points being made about fare evasion and the prosecutorial side of the issue, are very much on-topic here in this particular discussion.