Man dead after jumping NYC subway turnstile, breaking neck

R10 2952

"A 28-year-old man died when he jumped a subway turnstile in Queens on Sunday and broke his neck landing on the cement floor, cops said."

https://nypost.com/2022/01/02/man-fatally-hits-head-jumping-nyc-subway-turnstile/

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Edited by R10 2952

7 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

"A 28-year-old man died when he jumped a subway turnstile in Queens on Sunday and broke his neck landing on the cement floor, cops said."

https://nypost.com/2022/01/02/man-fatally-hits-head-jumping-nyc-subway-turnstile/

13 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Wow...My coindolences and simpathy to that young man....Dam just 28...Just goes to show that u could honestly lose your life just trying to save 3 bucks...Hopefully this same incident send a message to the other farebeaters across the city..... I doubt it but i seriously hope it does

Edited by biGC323232

3 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Wow...My coindolences and simpathy to that young man....Dam just 28...Just goes to show that u could honestly lose your life just trying to save 3 bucks...Hopefully this same incident send a message to the other farebeaters across the city..... I doubt it but i seriously hope it does

Oh please, they're on tiktok right now showing other people how to farebeat.

5 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

What???? What that suppose to mean...Bro show a little simpathy for the guy losing his life....Rather than stick to the farebeating crap

What are you talking about? Clearly I have sympathy for the guy, but I'm referring to this part of your comment:

28 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

32 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

What are you talking about? Clearly I have sympathy for the guy, but I'm referring to this part of your comment:

Then replies like this, so pointlessly:

58 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Oh please, they're on tiktok right now showing other people how to farebeat.

f**k those guys, they can snap their necks too. nuff said.

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

It's New York, there's almost 4 million reasons to doubt that....

7 hours ago, Lex said:

Is it bad that I laughed?

I did at first too because I thought it was fake. Iconically enough when my friend sent me the link about the incident on Instagram I was getting off the (F) at Forest Hills where this took place. 

I don’t think anything will change because this is NYC, but maybe perhaps some might consider using the emergency door instead, or get down on their knees and crawl past the turnstile. 

21 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

Then replies like this, so pointlessly:

f**k those guys, they can snap their necks too. nuff said.

It's New York, there's almost 4 million reasons to doubt that....

I know its not gonna change...I did mention that i doubt it and most likely make ppl find other ways to farebeat....Im just hopeing it sink in ppl minds...

13 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I did at first too because I thought it was fake. Iconically enough when my friend sent me the link about the incident on Instagram I was getting off the (F) at Forest Hills where this took place. 

I don’t think anything will change because this is NYC, but maybe perhaps some might consider using the emergency door instead, or get down on their knees and crawl past the turnstile. 

Edited by biGC323232

Hopefully this same incident send a message to the other farebeaters across the city..... I doubt it but i seriously hope it does

Nope, 

You didn't get the memo that the subway and buses are now free citywide?

People are "so broke" in the city, that its unconstitutional for people with the latest iphones to afford the world most expensive subway at $2.75 because if they paid they wouldn't be able to afford food.

What???? What that suppose to mean...Bro show a little simpathy for the guy losing his life....Rather than stick to the farebeating crap

He unfortunately made two mistakes, one was either he was high/drunk, and two while impaired made the choice to illegally enter the system. It was unfortunate that he was so young... way too young to go, but he made a mistake, and he paid the ultimate price for it.

26 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

Nope, 

People are "so broke" in the city, that its unconstitutional for people with the latest iphones to afford the world most expensive subway at $2.75 because if they paid they wouldn't be able to afford food.

He unfortunately made two mistakes, one was either he was high/drunk, and two while impaired made the choice to illegally enter the system. It was unfortunate that he was so young... way too young to go, but he made a mistake, and he paid the ultimate price for it.

With the new moronic Manhattan DA stating very openly that farebeating won't be prosecuted, there isn't a chance in hell that jumping the turnstiles and skipping out on the bus fare will stop anytime soon.

46 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

Nope, 

lol...Trust me im well aware of the problem Citywide....Yes beyond the Ultimate price...Jesus 

22 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

With the new moronic Manhattan DA stating very openly that farebeating won't be prosecuted, there isn't a chance in hell that jumping the turnstiles and skipping out on the bus fare will stop anytime soon.

Wow...Not prosecuted....I mean no ticket for that or arrest...So why the hell we paying....Im only joking....Back when Giuliani was Mayor he had that no tolorence rule...Jump the turnstile at that time cost u more than a free ride....

14 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Wow...Not prosecuted....I mean no ticket for that or arrest...So why the hell we paying....Im only joking....Back when Giuliani was Mayor he had that no tolorence rule...Jump the turnstile at that time cost u more than a free ride....

The only thing I do agree with him on so far is the need to provide more funding for people that suffer from mental illness. Locking those people up does nothing to address the mental illness issue, and there is no question that there are tons of people like this in the transit system.  If they are treated, then perhaps you deal with the recidivism issue and actually make the system safer, as you may see fewer platform pushings, random stabbings, etc. Most of those are committed my people that are mentally ill.

His argument based on his interview this morning that I watched was that you can perhaps break the cycle of having young people going in and out of the system.  I'm not so sure about that.  There needs to be consequences for such behavior, otherwise you just invite it to go on indefinitely with impunity, and as has been pointed it, it can lead to more serious crimes.  I think some of these DAs think that theft, be it of (MTA) services or otherwise is a harmless thing, but every time a good or service is stolen, we all pay for it. With the (MTA), it's higher fares via fare hikes.  With other things, you pay more for the goods you buy.

At this point, don't expect the (MTA) to do anything about the problem either. If they continue to get funding to cover their operational expenses, you won't hear anything about it. If they don't, they'll just say we have to cut service to balance the budget. Mark my words.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 1/5/2022 at 1:03 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Prosecuting and arresting are two very different things. Fare beating is still illegal and you can still be arrested for it. But prosecuting people and throwing them in jail for the crime of being poor is bad policy. This DA campaigned on this, and was elected to enact these very policies. People want this, because the data actually supports it. Just trying to appear "tough on crime" while ignoring the data is not a smart way to run a city. 

2 hours ago, rbrome said:

Prosecuting and arresting are two very different things. Fare beating is still illegal and you can still be arrested for it. But prosecuting people and throwing them in jail for the crime of being poor is bad policy. This DA campaigned on this, and was elected to enact these very policies. People want this, because the data actually supports it. Just trying to appear "tough on crime" while ignoring the data is not a smart way to run a city. 

Oh please. I guess you haven't heard of the Fair Fares Program, which is tailored specifically for people that can't afford the fare. I'm sorry, but from what I have observed, the truly poor are not the ones fare beating. Those people manage to scrape change together to pay the fare. I see plenty of middle class types that simply don't want to pay skipping the fare, simply because they can.

I have several friends that are cops. They aren't going to waste their time arresting fare beaters. For what when they won't be prosecuted? You want to talk about data? Give me some data on the crimes that are committed by a lot of fare beaters. You think the people involved in the most recent shootings, platform pushings, stabbings, etc. paid their fare? LOL Highly unlikely, so I believe that the broken windows policy is spot on, which is the idea that if you let the small things go, they escalate into bigger things.  Eric Adams gets it because he was a Transit cop with the NYPD. This Manhattan DA does not.

We all make decisions, and there should be consequences for those actions. Not having any consequences for fare beating sends the message that it is ok, and fewer and fewer people won't pay that have the means to pay and we're seeing that with the growing fare beating numbers published by the (MTA).

The (MTA) doesn't operate for free. It costs money to operate the service and the fares are needed to help cover some of those costs.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Frankly, a lot of problems could be solved in that regard if NYC had:

a) one DA and court as opposed to five (but that would require consolidating all 5 boroughs into a single New York County)

b) the DA was an appointed official as opposed to a separately elected one (but that would require at the very least, a referendum or ballot initiative)

Most other cities are covered by a single prosecutor as opposed to multiple ones, and in Europe, most prosecutors are appointed officials, not elected.  Takes a lot of the political bullshit out of the process.

Edited by R10 2952