MNR coach cleaner interviews

HardWorkin

1 hour ago, HardWorkin said:

Yes , I actually just looked, my changes back as well.

I once heard that MNR uses an automated system in the computer to screen thousands of candidates out for each position and the computer generates resumes only those hundreds who are qualified for the next step. Anyways, I don’t know much about the recruiting system because thinklikeamango would know better than us. 

12 minutes ago, 2ride said:

I once heard that MNR uses an automated system in the computer to screen thousands of candidates out for each position and the computer generates resumes only those hundreds who are qualified for the next step. Anyways, I don’t know much about the recruiting system because thinklikeamango would know better than us. 

I believe it is something like that, that's why when you upload your resume you want it to look like the job post ( all the stuff the job entails ) as much as possible.

21 minutes ago, Thinklikeamango said:

I believe it is something like that, that's why when you upload your resume you want it to look like the job post ( all the stuff the job entails ) as much as possible.

You know something, I wish they’d call us already. I’m going back to my previous job only because I’m unemployed currently. The MTA call/email would trigger a quick reaction from us to accept the exam. 

Edited by 2ride

On 2/28/2022 at 11:08 AM, Thinklikeamango said:

100% this. Take your previous experience and tailor the descriptions to match theirs. Copy and paste if needed so the computer picks up they key words and phrases.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 11:08 AM, Thinklikeamango said:

Hey , 

I saw they put up a posting for the position that you do, I realized that they also posted one like 7 months ago. Do you have information on when the next class might be, and also do you have to possess commercial cleaning experience? And finally , what is your day to day like, would you say it’s a tedious job, how close do you work with other co workers and is the money good? Sorry for all the questions, I’m hoping to get a invitation for the this exam , fingers crossed 🤞🏾 

2 hours ago, HardWorkin said:

Hey , 

I saw they put up a posting for the position that you do, I realized that they also posted one like 7 months ago. Do you have information on when the next class might be, and also do you have to possess commercial cleaning experience? And finally , what is your day to day like, would you say it’s a tedious job, how close do you work with other co workers and is the money good? Sorry for all the questions, I’m hoping to get a invitation for the this exam , fingers crossed 🤞🏾 

Yeah I can definitely answer these for ya. I know from our weekly job bulletins (where we see what jobs are open) we definitely have some spots open, our last group of hires came in around October/November so if I'm going to guess the next class might be in may. I think just general cleaning experience at a job might be enough but having commercial would definitely make you stand out. We usually get a detail to do at the beginning of the shift and that's your detail for the day, there's various ones from offices, main terminal floor, garbage duty, power washing. You usually work alone unless your doing a job that requires 2 like power washing or snow duty when it's snowing outside. Some jobs can be tedious depending on what the detail is but I can say none of the jobs we get are difficult and anyone can do them. I think the pay is generous for what we do we're custodians and can make anywhere from $32 an hour to $34 depending if you have a machine operator job or not, there's a decent amount of overtime but it goes by seniority so new hires might not see overtime for a while. Within our union there's alot of room to grow so it's definitely an awesome place to start at metro north.

27 minutes ago, Thinklikeamango said:

Yeah I can definitely answer these for ya. I know from our weekly job bulletins (where we see what jobs are open) we definitely have some spots open, our last group of hires came in around October/November so if I'm going to guess the next class might be in may. I think just general cleaning experience at a job might be enough but having commercial would definitely make you stand out. We usually get a detail to do at the beginning of the shift and that's your detail for the day, there's various ones from offices, main terminal floor, garbage duty, power washing. You usually work alone unless your doing a job that requires 2 like power washing or snow duty when it's snowing outside. Some jobs can be tedious depending on what the detail is but I can say none of the jobs we get are difficult and anyone can do them. I think the pay is generous for what we do we're custodians and can make anywhere from $32 an hour to $34 depending if you have a machine operator job or not, there's a decent amount of overtime but it goes by seniority so new hires might not see overtime for a while. Within our union there's alot of room to grow so it's definitely an awesome place to start at metro north.

How many people do you think they will need to hire this time for terminal attendant? How many selected applicants from the resume pool are usually invited for the terminal exam?

51 minutes ago, 2ride said:

How many people do you think they will need to hire this time for terminal attendant? How many selected applicants from the resume pool are usually invited for the terminal exam?

When I took the test there was about 15-20 of us on that test day I hear they have about 2-3 test days. They constantly hire for this position because people move on to the different jobs and crafts.

On 3/16/2022 at 6:40 PM, Thinklikeamango said:

That’s sounds great .

I know they pay more than the coach cleaner position .

I was a custodian before at a college so I have that experience , hopefully they consider it and don’t over look me this time. I’ve applied for the Attendant position about 3 times already lol

what is the scheduling like? 7-3, 8-4 , 3-11 etc? 
I also noticed from the posting they put out in August2021 ; the new posting they put out recently the starting pay is higher. Did you guys recently get a raise ? 

On 3/16/2022 at 8:01 PM, Thinklikeamango said:

When I took the test there was about 15-20 of us on that test day I hear they have about 2-3 test days. They constantly hire for this position because people move on to the different jobs and crafts.

How much do current employee referrals help to put you ahead of other candidates in the hiring pool?

7 hours ago, HardWorkin said:

That’s sounds great .

I know they pay more than the coach cleaner position .

I was a custodian before at a college so I have that experience , hopefully they consider it and don’t over look me this time. I’ve applied for the Attendant position about 3 times already lol

what is the scheduling like? 7-3, 8-4 , 3-11 etc? 
I also noticed from the posting they put out in August2021 ; the new posting they put out recently the starting pay is higher. Did you guys recently get a raise ? 

Yup we did get a raise but it was just an extension of the old contract so we should be getting a new contract and another raise soon. The shifts are 7-3, 3-11, and 11-7. Then there are some jobs that are 10-6 and 12-8 but there aren't many of those.

On 3/18/2022 at 6:29 PM, Thinklikeamango said:

Yup we did get a raise but it was just an extension of the old contract so we should be getting a new contract and another raise soon. The shifts are 7-3, 3-11, and 11-7. Then there are some jobs that are 10-6 and 12-8 but there aren't many of those.

Ouu the 10-6 sounds lovely , 

no night differential right ?

thank you so much for answering my questions , hopefully this time they reach out to me. .

On 3/18/2022 at 6:31 PM, Thinklikeamango said:

I can't say for sure but I believe it's something they definitely look at or else why would they put it there. So if you have a referral definitely put em down.

Seems unrealistic for me to land a job with the MTA as each day passes…