LIRR Block Operator Trainee

Lawrence St

• 2 months later...

23 minutes ago, Sam4750 said:

I received an invitation for 4-20-22. any idea if there is an aptitude test given at the open house. I was told I would be tested on 5 definitions and signals that I was provided via email with the invite. 

When did you apply to the posting? I applied recently and haven’t heard back at all.

3 hours ago, Sam4750 said:

I received an invitation for 4-20-22. any idea if there is an aptitude test given at the open house. I was told I would be tested on 5 definitions and signals that I was provided via email with the invite. 

Memorize everything they sent you.  Remember which signals are which and what they mean.  As for the definitions, they will say "Interlocking" with space for you to write out the definition word for word.  If you pass, they'll give you 3 weeks to memorize a hefty booklet.

February's test had maybe 50 people and about 10 passed the initial open house test.

5 hours ago, longislander123 said:

Memorize everything they sent you.  Remember which signals are which and what they mean.  As for the definitions, they will say "Interlocking" with space for you to write out the definition word for word.  If you pass, they'll give you 3 weeks to memorize a hefty booklet.

February's test had maybe 50 people and about 10 passed the initial open house test.

Thanks for the update. Should I prepare myself for an aptitude test aswell or will it only be the signals and definitions test at the open house?

48 minutes ago, Sam4750 said:

I applied recently aswell and received a call and an email yesterday.

That’s weird. I thought my application was well written and filled out, and I haven’t received any calls yet for any LIRR positions. I wish they can make the hiring process more fair by administering exams right away to the qualified applicants just like NYCT does. Like I’m wondering what’s really going on…

Edited by 2ride

Just a little hint here. A lot of guys in LIRR, came from NJT, and Amtrak. They get accepted into the training at Amtrak or NJT, complete it, stay a year or 2 and slide into LIRR.

LIRR and MNR wants qualified people so they don’t have to waste time on FRA qualifying people. That’s what I’m doing. I’m going the NJT route then slide over to LIRR. 

Being I already work at NJT, I just apply for the LETP, and transfer once called. It’s harder to get into LIRR if you have no railroad experience. 

5 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Just a little hint here. A lot of guys in LIRR, came from NJT, and Amtrak. They get accepted into the training at Amtrak or NJT, complete it, stay a year or 2 and slide into LIRR.

LIRR and MNR wants qualified people so they don’t have to waste time on FRA qualifying people. That’s what I’m doing. I’m going the NJT route then slide over to LIRR. 

Being I already work at NJT, I just apply for the LETP, and transfer once called. It’s harder to get into LIRR if you have no railroad experience. 

If this is a true case, then they should let people know. It’s unprofessional to keep applicants hanging in the dark with curiosity. 

Edited by 2ride

20 hours ago, 2ride said:

If this is a true case, then they should let people know. It’s unprofessional to keep applicants hanging in the dark with curiosity. 

Unfortunately it is true, I know of 2-3 ppl that went through NJT training stayed a year after then went to LIRR. And that’s my plan to go to LIRR or Amtrak. 

It’s cheaper to hire someone who is already FRA qualified vs someone coming off the streets. LIRR is a massive payday for ex NJT engineers. You literally only have to train them on operating equipment and then whatever difference in terminology there is within the company, vs doing everything from scratch.

LIRR and MNR have to offer positions but that doesn’t mean they have to fill with ppl with no FRA qualifications, they will take all qualified railroad people first. NJT usually hires rail engineers internally from bus operators and conductors, very few come off the street. 

26 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Unfortunately it is true, I know of 2-3 ppl that went through NJT training stayed a year after then went to LIRR. And that’s my plan to go to LIRR or Amtrak. 

It’s cheaper to hire someone who is already FRA qualified vs someone coming off the streets. LIRR is a massive payday for ex NJT engineers. You literally only have to train them on operating equipment and then whatever difference in terminology there is within the company, vs doing everything from scratch.

LIRR and MNR have to offer positions but that doesn’t mean they have to fill with ppl with no FRA qualifications, they will take all qualified railroad people first. NJT usually hires rail engineers internally from bus operators and conductors, very few come off the street. 

You know, sometimes I feel like I’m overlooked by MTA. Sometimes I wonder if I’ll really get contacted or I have to check up on my applications after 6 months. Honestly though, with the way they hire people, especially since there’s always a chance of nepotism and discrimination coming into play, they might as well copy NYCTA’s hiring method, which is let people take exams right away after computer finds out you’re qualified after online submission.

Edited by 2ride

39 minutes ago, 2ride said:

You know, sometimes I feel like I’m overlooked by MTA. Sometimes I wonder if I’ll really get contacted or I have to check up on my applications after 6 months. Honestly though, with the way they hire people, especially since there’s always a chance of nepotism and discrimination coming into play, they might as well copy NYCTA’s hiring method, which is let people take exams right away after computer finds out you’re qualified after online submission.

I agree I feel like the mta should do exam testing process for LIRR and MNR. 

My advice to you apply for NJT do their training stay a year and then apply and watch how quick you get hired. NJT rail is much easier to get into. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 7:10 PM, Sam4750 said:

Thanks for the update. Should I prepare myself for an aptitude test aswell or will it only be the signals and definitions test at the open house?

Hey did you hear back anything from the open house orientation anyone????

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

No. If you didn’t get one, you can forget it. You have to wait 12 months to re-apply.

I know, it isn’t fair, but that’s (MTA) for you.

It takes 1 month for a email or we just did not get selected

On 4/16/2022 at 9:51 AM, Sam4750 said:

Any updates on email anyone after open house???

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 1:09 PM, longislander123 said:

Hey Sam is it multiple choices? Or just the name they put and you have to write definitions