LIRR Block Operator Trainee

Lawrence St

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mohamed said:

I applied to this but all it says I pass pre screening but didn't get no phone call or email ??

It's not guaranteed you'll get a phone call or email even if you pass prescreening.  They can pretty much pick and choose who they want so just be patient and hope for the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I know I'm about 4 months late here, however...

On 4/17/2022 at 6:21 PM, 553 Bridgeton said:

It’s cheaper to hire someone who is already FRA qualified vs someone coming off the streets.

I can't speak for any other RR, but for the LIRR this is 110% not true.  Costs the same whether you are off the street, or an amtrak or NJT conductor for 30 years.  Everyone goes through the exact same hiring and training process regardless of your background.  The only thing prior experience would help you with is with HR and the interview.  

On 4/17/2022 at 6:21 PM, 553 Bridgeton said:

You literally only have to train them on operating equipment and then whatever difference in terminology there is within the company, vs doing everything from scratch.

Also 110% not true.  Everyone does everything from scratch.  Even an LIRR conductor who wants to become an LIRR Engineer has to go through the exact same process from scratch, even though he is a part 232 certified conductor of the same exact RR.  

This is also true for employees and non-employees wanting to become a Block Operator/Dispatcher.  Same exact training regardless of your experience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 11:06 AM, BennyBlanco said:

I got an invitation, my email only mentions the overview that date and S&D test on 10/1. Lets get ready to become a slave to the LIRR for the next few months :unsure:

Yeah, from the email I’m assuming we get a packet to study for three weeks before the exam. But I’m wondering if there will be a basic test or anything like that, or just sitting all day for paperwork. 

I'm not sure either, but I'm sure they're going to make sure we did all of the paperwork correctly and go over the S & Ds in depth so we leave with some kind of understanding. Btw how did you RSVP, did you just reply to the HR rep that emailed you? That's what I did there was no link or even on the application page where I originally applied. At this point it's winging it and showing up lol.

I did have a friend say they usually have a cognitive test but that it's usually also in the email we got....but it wasn't so I'm not sure.

Yes, I just replied to the email HR rep. She replied and acknowledged my rsvp. There was no other link or attachment in the email, just the application form which needs to be filled out and brought in, and the original job posting. I’ll be showing up and winging it as well, although I’m trying to find all the info I can about anything pertinent to SD

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 9:02 PM, Lensflare392 said:

For those who took the test, will we be informed of passing or failing the day of the test, or in a following email or call? I’d assume there’d be quite some grading to do, so I’m assuming at a later date. 

They will let you know right after grading everyones test. The ppl who passed will be given more information on the following steps afterwards. Good luck!

13 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

They will let you know right after grading everyones test. The ppl who passed will be given more information on the following steps afterwards. Good luck!

I was lucky to have passed the conductor exam for metro north and made it to the interview. Just going to say that the conductor exam, in my opinion, was more challenging than the customer service exams. Study and study!

31 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

Got it. Thank you for the info! 

So I have this right….the test is 35 definitions and 15 signals? Or was it 50 definitions and 15 signals?

I applied for this job and on my application it says passed as screening results but never got a email or phone call. Does any know what to do or number to call or email.

First it says pass pre screening and now it's saying passed as the last result.

I believe the instructor had mentioned a date mid December in the overview, but the lady after the test only mentioned a November date. I plan to contact HR next week if I still haven't heard anything. I'm expecting realistically a January class though if we still haven't heard about the basic skills.