Is there any way to get from Manhattan to Brooklyn by bus?

Matthew

My usual commute home involves getting to Port Authority around 9 PM and taking the subway to Prospect Heights, Brooklyn (a few blocks from Barclays Center).

I hate the subway for many reasons. I would like to know if there is any way to get a bus or any form of non-Subway public transport (even if it is more expensive/takes longer).

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

My usual commute home involves getting to Port Authority around 9 PM and taking the subway to Prospect Heights, Brooklyn (a few blocks from Barclays Center).

I hate the subway for many reasons. I would like to know if there is any way to get a bus or any form of non-Subway public transport (even if it is more expensive/takes longer).

There's no easy way to take a bus to that area but the eTix app sells one way LIRR fares from Penn Station to Atlantic Terminal Via Jamaica for $8.75 takes about 40 min excluding transfer time.

Edited by IAlam

The only other option I can think of is going over to 5th Ave and taking the BM1/2/3/4 to Brooklyn and then backtracking on a B41/67/69/103 depending on what suits your needs best.

Edited by IAlam

48 minutes ago, IAlam said:

The only other option I can think of is going over to 5th Ave and taking the BM1/2/3/4 to Brooklyn and then backtracking on a B41/67/69/103 depending on what suits your needs best.

BMs to the B67/B69 seems like the easiest option, however I don't know what the headways are for those local routes towards downtown BK that time of night. OP could also stay on the BMs for a few more stops and transfer to the B103 at Chruch Ave/Ocean Parkway.

He could also take the Ulmer Park Express bus to Bay Ridge (forgot the number) to the B37 and backtrack.

Edited by trainfan22

In that situation/scenario, I'd just take the BM3 (I'm not so certain the BM4 runs that late) to the first stop (Caton/McDonald), cross the street & take a Downtown bound B67/B69....,

The BM1 & the BM2 still runs around that time, but the first outbound stop is that first stop it makes down on Cortelyou.... If you want to take either of those 2 routes to Cortelyou/E. 18th & then hoof it over a couple blocks to Flatbush av for the Downtown bound B41, well be my guest....

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

He could also take the Ulmer Park Express bus to Bay Ridge (forgot the number) to the B37 and backtrack.

x27...

Regardless of direction, I personally don't trust those later B37 trips; they're prone to no-showing...

Edited by B35 via Church

4 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

If you want to take either of those 2 routes to Cortelyou/E. 18th & then hoof it over a couple blocks to Flatbush av for the Downtown bound B41, well be my guest....

I thought about suggesting this, but if safety is one of the reasons OP avoids the subway then taking this route might not be the best idea late at night.. 

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I thought about suggesting this, but if safety is one of the reasons OP avoids the subway then taking this route might not be the best idea late at night..

Either he maximizes his express bus options (BM/1/2/3) or limit himself to just the BM3.... The former of the two was the only reason I mentioned it.

21 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

BMs to the B67/B69 seems like the easiest option, however I don't know what the headways are for those local routes towards downtown BK that time of night. OP could also stay on the BMs for a few more stops and transfer to the B103 at Chruch Ave/Ocean Parkway.

7 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Either he maximizes his express bus options (BM/1/2/3) or limit himself to just the BM3.... The former of the two was the only reason I mentioned it.

Ideally that would be the best option like B35 said it's just best he maximizes his options, take whatever comes first and transfer to whatever else comes first. It'll take some time for OP to use bus time and be able to predict the best connections to they'll have to experiment for a while.