How can the old NYC Elevated Lines be rebuilt & connected to the existing System?

Benny Kanner

4 hours ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

The Southern portion of the Myrtle Avenue Line if rebuilt could be connected to the (G) at Myrtle/Willoughby

I think this is one of the main benefits to bringing back Myrtle El; it'd offer more crosstown flexibility. The other main benefit would be serving the transit desert of the Navy Yard area. If you linked it up with an under-used tunnel into the city like Montague and then just had it run it's old route with better stop spacing, then I think it would be a really great addition to the larger network (though still not on the top of the priority list). Perhaps if you extended the current el north past Middle Village as well, then you could have a whole other crosstown line, and would place less of a burden on the bad Court Square transfer.

5 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I think this is one of the main benefits to bringing back Myrtle El; it'd offer more crosstown flexibility. The other main benefit would be serving the transit desert of the Navy Yard area. If you linked it up with an under-used tunnel into the city like Montague and then just had it run it's old route with better stop spacing, then I think it would be a really great addition to the larger network (though still not on the top of the priority list). Perhaps if you extended the current el north past Middle Village as well, then you could have a whole other crosstown line, and would place less of a burden on the bad Court Square transfer.

As I have noted before on this:

If the Myrtle EL were rebuilt, it would likely be done in many areas as two levels of single track and platforms on both levels (to account for wider trains as opposed to the old line) with a few areas to allow for crossovers in case single tracking was needed in some areas and so forth.  As I would do it, the line after Navy Street would go underground and connect to the Montague Street Line, stopping at Jay-Metrotech and Court Street before then continuing via the tunnel to Manhattan as a extended (W) train that would operate between Metropolitan Avenue and Astoria and would run 19/7 to Astoria, with late-nights along with the (R) running to Whitehall (or possibly being 24/7 to Astoria).

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 11:44 AM, Wallyhorse said:

I suspect we would eventually need BOTH an SAS AND rebuilt 3rd Avenue EL to handle the additional traffic in Manhattan, especially with congestion pricing coming in.

On 6/4/2023 at 3:10 AM, Wallyhorse said:

If the Myrtle EL were rebuilt, it would likely be done in many areas as two levels of single track and platforms on both levels (to account for wider trains as opposed to the old line) with a few areas to allow for crossovers in case single tracking was needed in some areas and so forth.

Which pols would enable any of this to happen?

One thing that is interesting is that the Franklin Shuttle survived despite barely adding any coverage to the existing system; it actually does have some value given it connects the IRT, BMT, and IND parts of the Brooklyn network together (as many of us know all too well, Brooklyn IND lines connectivity is terrible. The issue is in practice, the headways are so long, and some of the transfers inefficient, it isn't particularly reliable and hence helpful to many on their daily commutes.

2 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

One thing that is interesting is that the Franklin Shuttle survived despite barely adding any coverage to the existing system; it actually does have some value given it connects the IRT, BMT, and IND parts of the Brooklyn network together (as many of us know all too well, Brooklyn IND lines connectivity is terrible. The issue is in practice, the headways are so long, and some of the transfers inefficient, it isn't particularly reliable and hence helpful to many on their daily commutes.

Why do you think that the headways are long ? They are the same as they were decades ago. When the trains were running to Coney Island. My home station from 1961 was Prospect Park. The transfers between Prospect Park and Fulton Street are still the same and the IRT transfer is now free. As far as reliability goes it runs 24/7, and doesn’t have bridge openings compared to the other two shuttle lines. I’m not sure what you’re talking about. My take. Carry on.

On 6/21/2023 at 3:37 AM, Trainmaster5 said:

Why do you think that the headways are long ? They are the same as they were decades ago. When the trains were running to Coney Island. My home station from 1961 was Prospect Park. The transfers between Prospect Park and Fulton Street are still the same and the IRT transfer is now free. As far as reliability goes it runs 24/7, and doesn’t have bridge openings compared to the other two shuttle lines. I’m not sure what you’re talking about. My take. Carry on.

It'll always be limited now because the Northern part was rebuilt to be single-tracked. The point of a shuttle is to either offer a short connection between 2 (or theoretically more) main hubs like the 42nd St Shuttle, or offer as the primary service of a branch line when one branch is more dominant like the Rockaway Shuttle. Franklin Shuttle is actually a somewhat useful connector in theory, but just the fact you know you might have to wait 10-20 minutes for the shuttle sort of eliminates the benefit it might if you have a rider say on the (C) comijng from Euclid who wants to transfer to the (B) and go down to Brighton. 

37 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

It'll always be limited now because the Northern part was rebuilt to be single-tracked. The point of a shuttle is to either offer a short connection between 2 (or theoretically more) main hubs like the 42nd St Shuttle, or offer as the primary service of a branch line when one branch is more dominant like the Rockaway Shuttle. Franklin Shuttle is actually a somewhat useful connector in theory, but just the fact you know you might have to wait 10-20 minutes for the shuttle sort of eliminates the benefit it might if you have a rider say on the (C) comijng from Euclid who wants to transfer to the (B) and go down to Brighton. 

Think about what you just said. I think one would have to be pretty stupid to ride the (C) to downtown Brooklyn to backtrack for service to Brighton. The present day shuttle is/was the Brighton line. When it was severed from the Fulton St. El it was single tracked into the revised terminal. In my youth the trains ran from Franklin Avenue to Brighton or Coney Island from the single-tracked terminal on some weekends. My opinion.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Context