Secaucus-Meadowlands Transitway (FIFA Phase)

JAzumah

https://www.nj.com/news/2023/07/nj-transit-racing-to-build-transitway-in-time-for-world-cup-2026.html?fbclid=IwAR18D4qYXg3T2gECYGmLZ2kNQvjwJ2i24VKDnBGFLa3NaWeuR4bqAX-oscg

What started in 2021 as an alternative to find another way to move people going to and from special events at MetLife Stadium is now a project racing toward a deadline for NJ Transit to build its Transitway in time for the FIFA World Cup 2026 games.

47 minutes ago, JAzumah said:

https://www.nj.com/news/2023/07/nj-transit-racing-to-build-transitway-in-time-for-world-cup-2026.html?fbclid=IwAR18D4qYXg3T2gECYGmLZ2kNQvjwJ2i24VKDnBGFLa3NaWeuR4bqAX-oscg

What started in 2021 as an alternative to find another way to move people going to and from special events at MetLife Stadium is now a project racing toward a deadline for NJ Transit to build its Transitway in time for the FIFA World Cup 2026 games.

All this instead of just using the Meadowlands rail line…

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

All this instead of just using the Meadowlands rail line…

That's the thing. I think they could double the capacity of that line for $50-60M in addition to the Transitway. 

Personally, I would order high floor DMUs with a subway style layout and call it a day. Stadler can get them an off-the-shelf design in time for 2026.

Track speed plays into the capacity issue. As soon as you're on the stadium line, you're only good for 30 mph the entire way. Couple that with signal restrictions approaching the terminal if you don't have a line up, the slow-accelerating 10-car multilevel dual mode trains, and the long loading and unloading times due to the single leaf quarter point doors on the MLs, you have a hard hourly capacity limit.

On 7/28/2023 at 10:30 AM, Fan Railer said:

Track speed plays into the capacity issue. As soon as you're on the stadium line, you're only good for 30 mph the entire way. Couple that with signal restrictions approaching the terminal if you don't have a line up, the slow-accelerating 10-car multilevel dual mode trains, and the long loading and unloading times due to the single leaf quarter point doors on the MLs, you have a hard hourly capacity limit.

Why is the speed limited to 30mph on a new line?

On 7/28/2023 at 10:30 AM, Fan Railer said:

If the signal blocks were closer, this could allow slower-running trains to operate closer to each other. 

I think a combination of well-orchestrated train movements and supplemental bus service could quickly meet demand.