New assistant conductor, what should I expect?

BP2Conductor

On 10/6/2023 at 7:47 PM, BP2Conductor said:

So I just got my offer letter and accepted. I'm just curious as to what to expect in a daily basis and what gear/ equipment should I get?

Hello, welcome aboard. The only thing you need to get is a anti-slip boot, in black colors, with a 6 inch heel and 90 degree angle.

For training, it will all depended on what instructors you get, but it will be an 8 hour day where you will learn the equipment and the railroads lines. I do advise you to start studying each line and the stops in order, from forwards to back.

On 10/8/2023 at 8:23 AM, BP2Conductor said:

Yeah, I got the boots. Was just curious as to any things you might carry as a personal item that you would consider a must. Def have been studying the system inside and out already. Looking forward to this . 

A good heavy duty backpack, there’s a lot of training material/papers you need to carry.

On 10/6/2023 at 7:47 PM, BP2Conductor said:

So I just got my offer letter and accepted. I'm just curious as to what to expect in a daily basis and what gear/ equipment should I get?

Congratulations, the gentleman have stated everything required in the comments above(heavy duty back pack, and black boots with 6inch 90 degree heel)

in terms of advice: there have been many failures the past 3-4 assistant conductor classes, that’s not because the intensity of the program has suddenly changed and gotten harder but because I believe people simply aren’t putting in the time to go over the knowledge them selves, many simply weren’t even doing the required homework’s they were given(that’s also grounds for dismissal), too afraid to ask for clarification from the instructor if they didn’t understand the material, suffered from the anxiety of being fired if they failed, were not the best test takers instead of studying they wanted to be spoon fed the answers for the exams.

Guess , what the answers are in black and white in the operating rules, read that shit, if you still don’t get it read it again and ask for extra help in class.

I would say when you are given the operating rules manual(which is day one of class, study everything you went over in class that day especially what you felt you needed to highlight thru out the day, and just read the prescribed lesson for the next day to set your self up for success.) all it takes is 1-2 hours a day, every day. Yes, it’s a commitment, but you will beat yourself up everyday if you fail out. 

If you do that you will pass, two more things that’s will really help you, start a study group with your classmates to discuss the homework daily, lastly from day one on familiarize yourself with rule 11 and all aspects and indications in that rule. No one is gate keeping, all the information in that massive operating manual will be on the exam, nothing more nothing less. 

Again, good luck this is an amazing career. You absolutely have the ability and all tools needed to pass and thrive at Metro North. 

Edited by NycHopeful718

On 10/17/2023 at 10:05 AM, NycHopeful718 said:

Congratulations, the gentleman have stated everything required in the comments above(heavy duty back pack, and black boots with 6inch 90 degree heel)

in terms of advice: there have been many failures the past 3-4 assistant conductor classes, that’s not because the intensity of the program has suddenly changed and gotten harder but because I believe people simply aren’t putting in the time to go over the knowledge them selves, many simply weren’t even doing the required homework’s they were given(that’s also grounds for dismissal), too afraid to ask for clarification from the instructor if they didn’t understand the material, suffered from the anxiety of being fired if they failed, were not the best test takers instead of studying they wanted to be spoon fed the answers for the exams.

Guess , what the answers are in black and white in the operating rules, read that shit, if you still don’t get it read it again and ask for extra help in class.

I would say when you are given the operating rules manual(which is day one of class, study everything you went over in class that day especially what you felt you needed to highlight thru out the day, and just read the prescribed lesson for the next day to set your self up for success.) all it takes is 1-2 hours a day, every day. Yes, it’s a commitment, but you will beat yourself up everyday if you fail out. 

If you do that you will pass, two more things that’s will really help you, start a study group with your classmates to discuss the homework daily, lastly from day one on familiarize yourself with rule 11 and all aspects and indications in that rule. No one is gate keeping, all the information in that massive operating manual will be on the exam, nothing more nothing less. 

Again, good luck this is an amazing career. You absolutely have the ability and all tools needed to pass and thrive at Metro North. 

You hit all the points. When I was still in training, I read that book everyday forwards and backwards and rode the lines until I got it. Effort is a very big thing here, put in the effort, and show to them you want to be here.