Hours of service and railroad retirement

Rockymtnjack

Hello all. New here, I have years of class 1 freight experience and a couple years as a passenger conductor with a medium sized commuter rail organization.

my question is does NYCT subways have to follow federal hours of service? And do they get railroad retirement?  I’m also curious as to wether PATH follows Fed HOS and gets RR retirement. Any info would be great.  Happy to answer any questions out there about Denver area rail, passenger or freight.  Thanks

6 hours ago, Rockymtnjack said:

Hello all. New here, I have years of class 1 freight experience and a couple years as a passenger conductor with a medium sized commuter rail organization.

my question is does NYCT subways have to follow federal hours of service? And do they get railroad retirement?  I’m also curious as to wether PATH follows Fed HOS and gets RR retirement. Any info would be great.  Happy to answer any questions out there about Denver area rail, passenger or freight.  Thanks

No subways doesn’t follow HOS. I think it’s maximum sixteen hours per shift for them. They also don’t fall under railroad retirement, only the commuter railroads here do (LIRR & MNR). PATH I believe is considered a railroad so they would fall under railroad retirement and falls under hours of service.

9 hours ago, Rockymtnjack said:

No we dont fall under that (even though there's some back in the day who wanted us too)..

We are maxed out at 16 hours even during a emergency such as a weather or some other incident after our 14th hour we are to inform OCC(Operations Control Center) that and a relief is supposed to be sent to our location..

We are Under a New York State Pension system.