Commuter rail proposals LIRR AND MNR

BreeddekalbL

Since the last thread was archived lets restart the proposals thread

I saw the old 1963 better rails for nassau county plan 

The original plan for LIRR to gct was to be a 1 way loop compared to what we know and love today. 

The Atlantic branch was supposed to be given to the NY subway and belmont was to be an IRT subway terminal. 

There was also a plan to Roosevelt field mall with a connection to mitchell secondary.  (I like that one)

http://www.lirrhistory.com/1963betterrail/1963betterrailss.pdf

Yes, there should be a GCT-Penn Station connection. Amtrak could use that more direct route when Metro-North needs Hell Gate for Penn Access. 

Also, there should be some Cross-LI branches. 

I propose the following

Elmont Branch

Branching off the New Haven Line by Co-Op City,this line would run via I-95/295, have a transfer opportunity in Queens Village, take over the Belmont Spur, and run along the CIP to meet the Babylon/Far Rockaway/Long Beach Branches at Rosedale, Valley Stream, and Lynbrook. Stations would be in Throgs Neck, Bayside Junction (new station with transfer to PW Branch), Cunningham Park, Holliswood, Queens Village, Belmont Park, Cambria Heights, Rosedale, Valley Stream, Lynbrook.

Hempstead Tunnels/Garden City Branch

Three tunnels would be constructed to reconnect the Hempstead and West Hempstead Branches, to connect the Hempstead Branch with Mineola, and to connect the West Hempstead Branch with the Far Rockaway Branch. 

This Garden City Branch would run from East Williston (end of Oyster Bay electrification), stop at Mineola, Country Life Press, Hempstead. West Hempstead, Hempstead Gardens, Lakeview, Malverne, Westwood, Brookside Junction (new station with transfer ops to Babylon and Long Beach branches), Gibson, Hewlett, Woodmere, Cedarhurst, Lawrence, Inwood, Far Rockaway. If the Oyster Bay branch is electrified it could be extended to Oyster Bay.

Expanded Central Branch

A dedicated Central Branch Line should run as follows

Babylon, North Lindenhurst, Bethpage, Hicksville, Jericho, Brookville, Old Brookville, Sea Cliff

Coram Branch

Port Jeff, Terryville Road, Coram, Yaphank, Shirley

For LIRR i would propose elimnating Diesel service and expand full electrification, starting with the oyster bay branch, and then the port jefferson branch, then Ronkonkoma and then finally the babylon branches. 

I would also prioritize grade crossing elimnations. 

I also support the expansion to Roosevelt field mall to make it a transfer center as planned in the 1963 plan with connections to the levittown branch with modifications with prioritization of grade crossing elimnations. 

• 1 month later...

For Phase 2 of Penn Access, I propose having the former Domino sugar track rebuilt, with Riverdale & Ludlow’s southbound platforms rebuilt into island platforms, and Yonkers having new switches to allow it to be used as a terminal.

3 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

That would deprive outer end politicians of a major issue to complain and campaign about.

Well haven't they been complaining about Port Jefferson for longer then i have been alive? They got them ready now need to get it done cause the mta is screwing them