Newark - New York

Jaejoong

Hey, I need some information/help with taking transit to and from Newark and New York City. I'm going there in a couple of weeks, so I need to be informed on how to get around, I already heard about how expensive a taxi ride from NYC to Newark is. My friends and I will be staying at the Sheraton Newark Airport Hotel. So far I have identified two ways of geting to New York from my hotel.

1) Take airport shuttle/ or taxi from hotel to Newark Ariport Railroad then take the Northeast Corridor train to Newark Penn Station, take PATH into NYC.

2) Take airport shuttle/ or taxi from hotel to Newark Ariport Railroad then take the Northeast Corridor train to New York Penn Station

I also, need some information about NJ Transit fares (are they time based? or trip based? and are tickets line based), for PATH are the fares time based and are tranfers free?

So what are some opinions with the methods I have outlined, are there other ways of travelling?

Ohh and what is the frequency like on the Northeast Corridor

I want to give thanks to members in advance for the tips. This part of the trip will only be a small segment of all the rail travel during my winter vacation, where my friends and I are taking the Amtrak/Via Rail Maple Leaf train from Toronto to New York (almost 12-13h one way).

Hi Buddy.

I got relatives in "TO" so it cool you visiting the NYC/NJ Metro area soon around the Christmas/NewYears Holidays.

The best advantage of NJ Transit trains is that it's only '1' stop(some trains bypass the Seacucus Station)to NYC in about only 20 minutes.

For train schedules/maps go to this site. http://WWW.NJTransit.COM

Another alternative to NJ Transit between NYC(Mid Manhattan)and Newark is to take the PATH trains. Opearted by the Port Authority, NY/NJ joint regional agency that opeartes the area's aiports such as Newark and JFK and bridges/tunnels that cross between the 2 states.

This is Path's website: http://www.panynj.gov/path/index.html

Path Newark line runs direct to the World Trade Center station(near "ground zero)Downtown at Corlandt and Church Streets(aka 6th Avenue south). The 1-way fare is only $1.50 and it opeartes all night aka 24/7 unlike NJ Transit trains. Also you can take the Newark-WTC line & transfer at Journal Sq for the '33rd street' Midtown train too.

For the NYC subway website this is it. http://WWW.MTA.INFO

Finally besides Newark and Northern New Jersey area, another area to consider that slightly cheaper than "Manhattan' is the NYC borough of Queens especially near both JFK and Northern Queens towns near LGA airport.

Again hope your enjoy your stay and Holiday Greetings.:)

Also, as you mentioned there is Amtrak service between Newark and the city, but fares are higher depending on what time of the day you are traveling, and when in the week (ex. Fridays fares are somewhat higher going to Penn Station) The interval between trains is a maximum of 30 minutes middays, there is no train service 1 AM - 6 AM. You can see fares and schedules at http://www.amtrak.com.

But I think the best way for you is to take either PATH or NJTransit, they're cheaper and reliable! :)

Here is the thing about the train station at Newark Liberty International Airport, there is no connection to the station other than AirTrainNewark. In my opinion, it is a complete ripoff. Your best bet is take the taxi all the way to Newark Penn Station and taking PATH from there.

You also have the option of taking the airport shuttle from your hotel to connect you with an AirTrain station that will take you to the RAILink Station (Railroad Station) so you could take an NJT train to Newark Penn Station or New York Penn Station.

Another option is taking the airport shuttle from your hotel to one of the terminals, where there you get off, and take New Jersey Transit bus #62 to Newark Penn Station (Fare: $1.35) where you can take the PATH or NJT train to New York City.

And yet another option is taking the airport shuttle from your hotel to Terminal A at least, and take Newark Airport Service (serviced by Olympia) straight to New York City to either the Port Authority Bus Terminal or Grand Central.

You have quite a few options to work with. The easiest one to me would be taking Newark Airport Service to New York City or taking a taxi to Newark Penn Station and taking PATH or NJT trains to NYC from there.

(Also at Newark Penn Station, you can take New Jersey Transit bus #108 to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City.)

Archived