New South Ferry subway station to open in January

Trainspotter

The first new subway station in nearly 20 years will open next month - ending more than three years of service delays caused by construction, officials said Thursday.

The new South Ferry station at the southern tip of Manhattan on the No. 1 line features an air-circulating and cooling system.

One sweltering summer days, temperatures inside the terminal will be nice and cool, like one one other location in the 468-station system.

"It's a real 21st Century station," MTA Capital Construction Co. President Michael Horodniceanu said.

The $530 million project is the first of the federally funded post 9/11 recovery projects to be completed.

The two-track station was built beneath the existing stop, which dates back to 1905.

The new configuration will allow subway managers to increase the number of trains per hour from 17 to 24, Horodniceanu said.

Managers also will have more options when dealing with problems like stalled trains or sick passengers.

Officials Thursday said riders could see about six minutes shaved from their commutes.

The existing station - which will remain in place - has one entrance. There are no escalators or elevators.

The new station has seven escalators, two elevators and three entrances/exits.

Riders heading to South Ferry no longer will have to be in the first five cars of the train to exit, as they currently do due to the short platform located on a sharp curve, Capital Construction program executive Uday Dorg said.

Another benefit: it won't be so loud because of noise-absorbing rubber panels beneath rail ties.

"You don't get the same screeching noise when the train pulls into the station," Dorg said.

When the new station opens, riders will be able for the first time to transfer for free to the R and W trains at the Whitehall Station.

During the excavation for the station, workers found part of the battery wall erected in the 1700s. Part of that wall is now a display in the station.

The last two stations built were in 1989, both on the F line - Roosevelt Island and Queensbridge/21st St.

By PETE DONOHUE

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

December 12th 2008

post-5-133288580183_thumb.jpg

From what I saw at the work site myself on the 9th, I don't think the station will open on the 21st of this month. There is a lot to be done at the plaza, they have to repave the plaza. They have to install the signage at the new station entrance and install the glass at the canopy.

My guess is 4 January 2009.

Well, I am not sure if it is:

December-19th, December-21st or January-04th. But, I feel paving will only take 24 hours to dry but still another few days for tiles. Installing signage will only take a day or two. Installing glass will only take a day or two. So, overall, the 21st can be the opening day, even if they think of making the last signage, glass or tile intalled can be a good poening strategy...

By the way, MTR... You saw it several days back so you won't know what happened between that day til' now... Maybe everthing is done and cleanup is all to be done! :)!

If men work like God, then the Second Avenue Subway would've been completed already.

It takes time to build all of that. I really am not sure if all of this will be done in a week. Trust me on this. Definitely not the 19th.

Dude, it is not about God, and stop making fun of God. The SAS, 7 Extension, ESA and Fulton Transit Center needs slow pace since it still has underground digging. But the S.F. Terminal is already done digging and street surface doesn't need more digging. Only pavement and intallation. It could be done in 3 days, and I can bet! If you are my brother and traveled with me to China and lived in my granny's house, you would have proof, since the shower doors got installed in just 2.5 hours!

I was being sarcastic. I was not making fun of God, I was talking about our working pace.

Not really, they still need some utility work along Whitehall Street. The glass needs to be carefully installed. The ground needs to be carefully paved.

No offence but, why would I be your brother???????

Well, that is China. That is how they work. This is America. We have our own methods of working. That is the shower, this is a subway station.

Enough pointless arguing. I will check SFT myself again today (it is Sunday already) and I will seek access LEGALLY. Hopefully they would allow me inside the station itself. Then I could report on my findings.

I am not saying you would be my brother but I really know they could work faster. And the glass installation won't take like a half week per piece! LOLz, :D!

I think the canopy lacks lighting as well. And as far as I am concerned, landscaping the plaza outside does take a while, given its present state.

My only wish:

They could either make a station connection between Bowling Green and Whitehall or Bowling Green and New South Ferry. Now imagine a transfer between the (1)(4)(5)(R)(W) trains could do for people traveling from Brooklyn to Manhattan and even the Bronx.

It is more convenient to connect the Whitehall Street Station with Bowling Green than Bowling Green with South Ferry. This could be accomplished by digging a pedestrian subway (passageway) under Stone Street to the Bowling Green station. I really don't know though.

• 3 weeks later...
No news, from anywhere... I am looking daily, in-depth on Sundays... Nothing new unless on the Fulton Street Transit center project, there is a new station design...

No need to repeat what I said, it's ridiculous:

Here's a rundown:

The following information was last updated on December 19, 2008.

* Systems testing

* Finishing and punch-list work for the new terminal through late January 2009

* MTA is working with the Parks Dept. to landscape Peter Minuit Plaza, and with the city Dept. of Transportation to build the new bus loop outside Whitehall Ferry Terminal. The work is planned for completion in late 2009

* Final utility work Whitehall Street through winter 2008/09

Okay, good to hear you say enough!

Enough means that you do not have to be a smart aleck and reply to every single post. You are just inciting a "flame war" here. Enough! No more replies from you on this thread anymore, until you have something worthy to say that is on topic, and not about the Fulton Street Transit Centre or anything else off topic.

I will try to report to the ferry terminal maybe tomorrow and check on the progress of the station. Hopefully the signs are in place.

Enough means that you do not have to be a smart aleck and reply to every single post. You are just inciting a "flame war" here. Enough! No more replies from you on this thread anymore, until you have something worthy to say that is on topic, and not about the Fulton Street Transit Centre or anything else off topic.

I will try to report to the ferry terminal maybe tomorrow and check on the progress of the station. Hopefully the signs are in place.

Okay, this applies to you also for driving me off-topic... NO FSTC for this forum starting now, or I'll report the post of being off-topic...

The South Ferry Station is it going to connect to the South Ferry Terminal?

It is a loss and a gain; the riders will have a new transfer to the R and W, however they will lose the direct access to the ferry building. They must exist the subway station and walk straight to the ferry building. It's not that hard, just 10 feet.

Archived