This Shoe's for you, MTA! Protestor at board meeting inspired by Iraqi who threw shoe

Trainspotter

A fare-hike protester was arrested and booted from an MTA boardmeeting on Wednesday after appearing to threaten to hurl his shoe at a toptransit executive.

"This shoe's for you," Queens resident StephenMillies, 54, yelled at Metropolitan Transportation Authority CEO ElliotSander just before the board, as expected, grudgingly passed a 2009budget featuring whopping fare hikes and service cuts.

Milliesmanaged to shake off his left shoe while ranting at the publicspeakers' podium but was stopped in his tracks by MTA Police DetectivesLenny Pomposello and Alex Rubino.

Police wrapped Millies in a bear hug and took him from the MTA's Madison Ave. headquarters in handcuffs.

Millies, who said he was an Amtrak worker, was charged with disorderly conduct and released. Amtrak declined comment.

Milliessaid his outburst was inspired by the Iraqi reporter who hurled hisfootwear at President Bush, but he said he didn't intend to peg Sander.

"Itook it off, and I was going to raise it like this," he said. "I wassimply showing the sole of my shoes as a sign of contempt ... "

TheMTA faces a $1.2 billion deficit caused in part by the recession anddeclining revenues from transit-dedicated taxes, officials have said.

Thebudget plan would raise fare and toll revenues by 23%, which couldtranslate into 28% fare hikes because ridership will drop off,officials said.

It also would eliminate 21 local bus routes inthe city, ax eight more in Nassau County, and mean longer waits forsubway trains.

Sander and board members urged the stateLegislature to adopt a transit rescue package crafted by a statecommission chaired by former MTA boss Richard Ravitch.

Thebailout would generate $2.5 billion in transit funds through a payrolltax paid by employers, and tolls on the now-free East River and HarlemRiver bridges.

"After today, what happens in 2009 will be in Albany's hands," Sander said.

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver said the vote is "a call to action."

"We have two or three months to get serious about how we're going to fund the MTA going forward," Silver told the Daily News.

He added that mass transit "has to be affordable. This is unacceptable."

Boardmember Doreen Frasca and others complained that transit has longreceived inadequate state subsidies. It needs permanent new revenuestreams, they said.

"I'm going to look lawmakers in the eye and ask, 'Why can't you put transit first on the list for a change?'" Frasca said.

MTAboard members said they are required by law to adopt a balanced budget.All but one board member, Norman Seabrook, voted for the budget plan.

"If Albany is listening, I'm not riding this train with you," Seabrooksaid. "You need to step up to the plate and do what you are supposed todo and stop making us the bad guy."

By PETE DONOHUE

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

December 17th 2008

post-5-133288580189_thumb.jpg

post-5-133288580189_thumb.jpg

The (MTA) broke the Constitution not giving the man "The Right for Free Speech". He nver threw t to lefthe shoe; but to express his feelings.

They didn't know that at the time. He only said afterwards that he only intended to raise the shoe, not to throw it. Besides, there was the potential for throwing the shoe which, if it was done, could be considered assault.

Although I do disagree with all the cuts. I heard somewhere that MNRR and LIRR get most of the funding they need while NYCT is short-shrifted...

All but one board member, Norman Seabrook, voted for the budget plan.

"If Albany is listening, I'm not riding this train with you," Seabrook said. "You need to step up to the plate and do what you are supposed to do and stop making us the bad guy."

That guy knows what's up.

It would have been good to see him hit them straight in the face. I would have given him a pair of tims to throw. And yeah Rashad Evans for the KO or Nog can make him submit. I just can't believe these rich suits would support such a ridiculous plan. They obviously don't use an ounce of transit.

How the (MTA) is in such debt?! I don't understand this at all! People are riding the subways and busses more than ever! Especially with the sinking economy, public transit is still more affordable than driving in today's low gas prices! 2007 was the MTA's record year in usage! So many people used transit in 2007 and 2008! Didn't the (MTA) keep bragging about it? Now all of the sudden they are in debt! How? After a record year of usage??? wtf! :confused::eek::mad:

<F>

How the (MTA) is in such debt?! I don't understand this at all! People are riding the subways and busses more than ever! Especially with the sinking economy, public transit is still more affordable than driving in today's low gas prices! 2007 was the MTA's record year in usage! So many people used transit in 2007 and 2008! Didn't the (MTA) keep bragging about it? Now all of the sudden they are in debt! How? After a record year of usage??? wtf! :confused::eek::mad:

<F>

Really, I really want an answer from the MTA.

Archived