Question about the Redbirds

INDman

I have a full Redbird side rollsign that I got several years ago and it was only in the last few days I noticed something. On the south destination roll there is no 14th Street. I know that over the last 2 or 3 years while they have been building the new South Ferry station, some trains terminate at 14th Street- 7th Ave. My question is when the redbirds ran on the (1)(2) and (3) lines, what did they display if they terminated at 14th Street? Did they roll the sign to blank, special, or what?

(1) and (3) never used the redbirds, only before GOH it used some, but they weren't redbirds. And I belive 14th street wasnt considered a Termanel during and before GOH. If it were to terminate at 14th, it would most likly be considered blank or uses its normal terminal. Like if it were the (3) Train it would ether Blank, New Lots Avenue (Or on the 62/as 14th street, Manhattan. I think its on there)

the truth is whenever i ride (1)(2)(3) South Ferry G.O., the lower roll signs on the (1) still reads "South Ferry - Manhattan". they are not changed at all. this also happened to a lot of other lines during general orders, like when the (Q) was cut back to Kings Highway a few weeks ago or when the (D) was split into two sections last month due to work on Manhattan Bridge. i am not sure whether if it is because (NYCT) does not have the roll signs for certain signs or train crew are just too lazy to change them. that is why so many riders get confused during general orders. (NYCT) thinks the roll signs make no difference when in fact they do.

the truth is whenever i ride (1)(2)(3) South Ferry G.O., the lower roll signs on the (1) still reads "South Ferry - Manhattan". they are not changed at all. this also happened to a lot of other lines during general orders, like when the (Q) was cut back to Kings Highway a few weeks ago or when the (D) was split into two sections last month due to work on Manhattan Bridge. i am not sure whether if it is because (NYCT) does not have the roll signs for certain signs or train crew are just too lazy to change them. that is why so many riders get confused during general orders. (NYCT) thinks the roll signs make no difference when in fact they do.

at least some of the IND is not lazy, the (C) for example, if it were to go 145th street, they would change it instead of 168th street

The (B) it would be half half, parts of the train car has Bronx- Bedford Park Blvd and the others would be 145th street Manhattan..

Ah ok that explains it. I know that the R62s have 14th as a terminal. Also, how rare is a redbird rollsign with the (9), I have only seen it a few times.

(9) Train was never included on the redbirds, becuz the (9) was not introduced through the GOH 1985-1987 for Redbirds.

So by 1989 the (9) made it in till 2005. Seeing that the Redbird were for the (2)(5)(4)(6)(7), the (NYCT) didnt bother to add the (9) after introduction, so the (9) can only be found on the R62/As, along with the (11)(12)(13) route

can any1 confirm if the (9) and (8) is on the R142? and the (S)

what the hell are you trying to ask? the 8, 11, 12, 13 do not exist. the 42nd street shuttle is part of the IRT.

excuse me? wat the hell r u on about? why u having an attitude i aint speaking to you.. i dont know u anyways as u just joined

But to enlighten you, Im talking about the ROLL sign (11)(12)(13) on the R62/As ever heard??

Plus was ASKING if the R142 contains the (S) and (8) on there system, I KNOW the (S) is an IRT, the 42nd Street. and the (8) was a former line for the 3rd Ave EL, but (8) is refereed to on the (S) (For MTA employees) as someone said it here.

It does but not in the map or routes, it exsist in the R-62 rollsign! If people have X-Ray vision, they would have seen the R-62's rollsign long time ago...

I agree and previously the (8) is the (N) and (W) on the Astoria section Nowadays,

this is what i like about u, u stick up for sum1 B). well i didnt asked but hey gotta thank~~

Yeah, curious to see one rolled up yet again, caught one with the route (12) on one, but my camera was out of battery, B)...

12 where at :D ? I did saw a 13 but that last yr, first time, im like huh never seen a 13.. Saw it at Atlantic on a (3) to manhattan from the (5) train tracks lol

Redbird subway cars were the R26-R33 Worlds Fair cars. There were the BMT/IND R30A Redbird cars, which ran briefly on the (A)(C), if I'm not wrong. The Redbirds were great on the (4)(5) and (6), but were gone when the R142/R142A cars came.

The redbirds were beginning to be taken out of the Lex with the advent of the R62. They were deployed on the 4 and the 6. IIRC, their Redbirds went to the 2 and 5 and later the 7. The 5 got R142s when they came in 2002.

Correct, I believe the R27 and R30 were known as Redbirds later when they received the red paint.

The redbirds were beginning to be taken out of the Lex with the advent of the R62. They were deployed on the 4 and the 6. IIRC, their Redbirds went to the 2 and 5 and later the 7. The 5 got R142s when they came in 2002.

Correct, I believe the R27 and R30 were known as Redbirds later when they received the red paint.

Oh so the (5) was the last IRT to have R142 cars, interesting. I also heard of an R142/R142A intermix set on the (6) also.

Oh so the (5) was the last IRT to have R142 cars, interesting. I also heard of an R142/R142A intermix set on the (6) also.

the R142s and R142As cannot operate together. the (5) may be the last cars to get the R142s, but it was not the last to use those cars for its entire fleet. IIRC, the (4) was the last. it got the R142s during the 2000 Subway Series, but it was not until mid 2003 to early 2004 that most of the line began using those cars. the (4) was the last to have the mainline Redbirds until their retirement in April 2003. today, it still has 2 sets of R62s.

Some R27/30 were repainted, seeing that retirement was almost near. the (C) was the last to run the 30s, then got the R32/38s

and yes the (5) was the last non- queens line to have a redbird, which then the (7) had to at least 2003 i think

or it must of been the (2)? Cuz I did saw in mid 2004 a redbird on revenue service on the (2) at 135th street while on the R142..

the R142s and R142As cannot operate together. the (5) may be the last cars to get the R142s, but it was not the last to use those cars for its entire fleet. IIRC, the (4) was the last. it got the R142s during the 2000 Subway Series, but it was not until mid 2003 to early 2004 that most of the line began using those cars. the (4) was the last to have the mainline Redbirds until their retirement in April 2003. today, it still has 2 sets of R62s.

Actually the R142 and R142A CAN operate together...just not very well... :D

Didn't they do some sort of test testing interoperability? I heard the R142A was slightly faster.

Yup I forget which one it is...but one is faster and if that set is not leading (it's the back 5) it will slam into the other half of the train and the whole thing will buck like a bronco.

Some R27/30 were repainted, seeing that retirement was almost near. the (C) was the last to run the 30s, then got the R32/38s

and yes the (5) was the last non- queens line to have a redbird, which then the (7) had to at least 2003 i think

or it must of been the (2)? Cuz I did saw in mid 2004 a redbird on revenue service on the (2) at 135th street while on the R142..

if it was in mid 2004, it could not have been in revenue service because all mainline Redbirds were retired by Spring 2003 and the R33/36 World's Fair Version followed suit the following fall. the (4) was the last line to use the mainline Redbirds.

Archived