Train overshoot bumper at Tottenville.

KeystoneRegional

If it isn't heavily damage it is still operatable, if it is damaged on the Wheel, chassis and/or body... It is possibly in OOS...

First thing they will do is to send it to Clifton shops to inspect the damage and hopefully fix it on site. If it is serious and could not be fixed at Clifton, they have to truck it to Coney Island Yard for repairs.

If a train is going fast enough into a bumper it's probably going to screw the front of that train over. I would imagine if this happened in the WTC station there would be a bigger mess than a train that went through the bumper as that bumper is reinforced by a thick plot of concrete.

If a train is going fast enough into a bumper it's probably going to screw the front of that train over. I would imagine if this happened in the WTC station there would be a bigger mess than a train that went through the bumper as that bumper is reinforced by a thick plot of concrete.

I am pretty sure the train was decelerating already as it derailed, I really doubt the train was on say 30 mph. Like you said, if it was on a high speed as it hit the block, the concrete block would have directed a force opposite to the train, which will really mess the train up. Based on the given picture, I don't see much serious damage to the front of the train.

Archived