Train overshoot bumper at Tottenville.

KeystoneRegional

Then the train will be wrecked and everybody will die?

I meant after the bumper. Since railcars tend to lose their trucks/axle sets in a collision, you want to make sure it doesnt jump any barrier you put to arrest the majority of the kinetic force...

Buffer_stop_in_Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse_%28France%29.jpg

Like that,but designed for the coupler types used here.

- A

I meant after the bumper. Since railcars tend to lose their trucks/axle sets in a collision, you want to make sure it doesnt jump any barrier you put to arrest the majority of the kinetic force...

Buffer_stop_in_Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse_%28France%29.jpg

Like that,but designed for the coupler types used here.

- A

Oh.............

but wouldn't it still damage the train?

wouldnt a bumper damage the train =\ ? Even tho it will stop ir

In a runaway situation, passengers are more important than the vehicle. A coupler position buffer wouldnt damage the train car etc too much, might need a new coupler, and depending entirely on the force of the collision might need frame repairs or scrapping.

- A

wouldnt a bumper damage the train =\ ? Even tho it will stop ir

Listen to what he says:

- A

Usually this is operator error, or a problem with the air system, or a combo of both.

There was a fatal train wreck somewhere, forget the exact location, where one of the crew accidently moved an air valve, which in turn lead to half the brakes on the train not working. The train, unable to slow in time, was then automatically rerouted to a siding when an all stop order was issued to help the situation, the siding was occupied with another train at the time & the stop order froze the command to move the switch to allow the train to roll through the station vs onto an occupied track.

I forget the details, but it was due to the engineers staying at their posts putting the brakes on & telling people to move to the back of the runaway train, and move out out of and away from the parked train that saved several hundred lives.

I watched a documentary on this, and it stuck because they stayed there to do their job.

If i remember the details, where it happened etc will put link with further info in this post.

- A

Well, a fence is possibly what the train broke, a concrete wall will crush the train, the bumper, or one similar to an elevator one may just be the best way while the train should also include some bumper too to ease pressure; kinetic force is the real deal here...

Kinetic force is only a factor if the train is coming in at a high speed, so AWWang, kinetic force is not a factor in anything just because it is moving.

Kinetic force is only a factor if the train is coming in at a high speed.

Agreed;

Force = the mass x acceleration

If the train came in at high speed, it will exert a tremendous force on the concrete wall. (4 car R44 train = 157,378 kilogrammes, maximum speed is 89 km/hr)

If the train came at maximum velocity (which is impossible), the force will be 233,444,033 1/3 Newtons, which is very powerful.

According to laws of physics, the same wall will exert the same force against the train. If the concrete wall is large enough to sustain the impact, it will hold and the train will be smashed. If the wall is not large enough, it will break and the train may be smashed.

I know, it is just high speed... You want too much details and I have to explain and get mods/admin crazy!

I know, I know, I know!!! I am not that stupid and lets get back on topic, THIS IS NOT A SCIENCE FORUM!!!

You have to be detailed, otherwise we have no idea what you are saying.

It is on topic since I was talking about the force delivered by a 4 car train at maximum speed and how it would impact a concrete wall.

Archived