Chicago's Subway Series

MattTrain

I just found out that New York City isn't the only city with baseball teams' that are reachable by rail, let's say by (4)(:)(D) for Yankees Games and (7)<7> for Mets Games. The White Sox and Cubs' stadiums are reachable by rail service too.

Us Cellular, Field, home of the White Sox is reachable by taking the Red line to Sox-35-33 Street Station. The Cubs' Wrigley Field is reachable by taking the Red line train to Addison Station. The Cubs and White Sox are both served by the Red line train.

Here are the maps

North Side for the Cubs' Wrigley Field

200806N.gif

South/Central Side for the White Sox' U.S Cellular Field

200806C.gif

No copyright infringement is intended. This was taken from http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/maps/htsystemmap.aspx

That map looks confusing :tdown:

Think of it this way, the thick colored lines are train routes while the thin gray lines are bus routes.

Mention Subway Series to any baseball fan and it's always NYY/NYM.

The Chicago baseball fans call it the "Windy City Series." I just call that the subway series because of access by rail.

Think of it this way, the thick colored lines are train routes while the thin gray lines are bus routes.

The Chicago baseball fans call it the "Windy City Series." I just call that the subway series because of access by rail.

Technically, it should be called the "L" series. They call their rapid transit system as the "L" rather than the Subway. Subway Series should always refer to the rivalry between the Yankees and the Mets.

I used to live near Chicago. In fact I went to DePaul University to earn my BA. Their system is unique. In the 1990's, they changed the names of their train lines to colors. Yellow Line- Skokie Swift, Purple Line- Evanston Express, Red Line- Howard/ Dan Ryan, Blue Line- O'Hare/Congress/ Douglas (Now the Pink Line,) Green Line- Lake/Englewood/Jackson Park, Orange Line- Midway and The Brown Line- Ravenswood. The Red Line went from the Howard Street terminal to Jackson Park or Englewood. The Green line stopped at the White Sox park. That changed in 1993, when the Red line and the Green line switched terminals. Like the N and R did in 1987. Their trains are a lot smaller, only using 2 doors, and in the Loop area, they make 90 degree turns. I can't believe those sharp turns. Like the R32,38,40 and 42's, all of their cars were overhauled as well. They took away the Railfan window and put door bells on them. Can you imagine door bells on an R38,40 or 42? I can't. I think if the Cubs and White Sox were ever in the World Series, I don't think they would call it the Red Line Series. If fact, when the Cubs play the White Sox in Interleague play, they call it the Crosstown series.

I used to live near Chicago. In fact I went to DePaul University to earn my BA. Their system is unique. In the 1990's, they changed the names of their train lines to colors. Yellow Line- Skokie Swift, Purple Line- Evanston Express, Red Line- Howard/ Dan Ryan, Blue Line- O'Hare/Congress/ Douglas (Now the Pink Line,) Green Line- Lake/Englewood/Jackson Park, Orange Line- Midway and The Brown Line- Ravenswood. The Red Line went from the Howard Street terminal to Jackson Park or Englewood. The Green line stopped at the White Sox park. That changed in 1993, when the Red line and the Green line switched terminals. Like the N and R did in 1987. Their trains are a lot smaller, only using 2 doors, and in the Loop area, they make 90 degree turns. I can't believe those sharp turns. Like the R32,38,40 and 42's, all of their cars were overhauled as well. They took away the Railfan window and put door bells on them. Can you imagine door bells on an R38,40 or 42? I can't. I think if the Cubs and White Sox were ever in the World Series, I don't think they would call it the Red Line Series. If fact, when the Cubs play the White Sox in Interleague play, they call it the Crosstown series.

Pretty good explanation, the Chicago Crosstown Windy series, is interesting. These teams existed for a century, and I wondered why inter league play hasn't existed for so long only started in 1997. If inter league play was going on for decades, the White Sox- Cubs rivalry would have intensified much more.

Door bells? The bells that prevent people from standing in front of the train, maybe that's to keep the railfans away from distracting the train operator. Wow.

• 1 month later...
Well, it is not as fun as NYC Subway Series since the NYY has it's own lines and the NYM has it's own line too!

NYY-(:P(D)(4) and NYM-(7)<7>.

Chicago-Only RED LINE...

It wasn't always thus. At one time the Dan Ryan line which stops at 35th St (US Cellular Field) used to proceed West out of the Loop as the Lake St El, whereas the North Side El entered the State St Subway through Downtown before re-emerging at the Englewood/ Jackson Park lines. This required a transfer at Washington or Jackson via an underground pedestrian walkway. There was another option from Wrigley to Comiskey that required two transfers but provided an all elevated trip to the old Comiskey park. With the new alignment it is now a single shot, Despite the lack of transfers this route does offer a ombination of elevated right of way, subway and the middle of the expressway rapid transit lines that I haven't seen outside of Chicago.

Despite the lack of transfers this route does offer a combination of elevated right of way, subway and the middle of the expressway rapid transit lines that I haven't seen outside of Chicago.

There is one place I know of that has elevated, underground and median running sections but it isn't built yet. Current plans for the Silver Line in the Washington Metro will be under ground at the airport and underground in downtown DC, elevated through the Tysons Corner area and run through the median of I-66 in Falls Church, VA.

Also, which may make it a little more interesting, the Silver Line will also go through a tunnel under a river crossing of the Potomac.

Okay, thanks for the info... Since I am not familiar to the Chicago Transporation Lines and history... My only knowledge of outof NY/NJ/CT Transportation is the Toronto (T)(T)(C) and Boston (T) as well as Beijing and Shanghai Metro...

You're welcome! Growing up in Chicago I always thought the 'El' was awesome until I experienced the NYC Subway. My first time exploring the Times Square station and my first trip to Stilwell made me realize that while nice the CTA is very junior league by comparison. I remember on a sunny day walking on the pedestrian overpass from the NYC Aquarium to the W8th St station and looking off to the right and seeing the double-decked elevated tracks where the Brighton and Culver lines come into Coney Island and thinking wow, what a system!

Nevertheless, Chicago is a nice place to visit (particularly in the Summer). The Lakefront, Wrigley Field, Walking along Michigan Ave from the Chicago River to the Water Tower, The neighborhoods around DePaul & Lincoln Park, Driving south on Lake Shore Drive early on a Sunday morning from the Hollywood Curve all the way to Hyde Park and most importantly the food! Chicago is a food paradise, especially

Chicago Dogs,

Italian Beef Sandwiches

Chicago Style Pizza (both Deep dish and Chicago style thin crust)

abundant cheap Mexican food

The T in Toronto is pretty cool, especially the LRV streetcars. I have rode a few times, I don't know what kind of rolling stock the TTC uses but riding it, as far as the cars, station architecture and signage remind me a lot of the PATH System. I am looking forward to getting to Boston to experience the MBTA (and Fenway Park).

Archived