Why have no Wal-Marts have opened in NYC's 5 boros?

Shortline Bus

Getting back to issue/topic. Why can't a box store or chain store put more locations in places like Sunset Park, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Coney Island or Brighton Beach in Brooklyn and Long Island City in Queens?

A Wal Mart or Target in LI City near Queens Plaza would be a great location. It's away from any form of NIMBY opposition since it would be in an industrial area.

Ditto along 2nd Avenue in Sunset Park away from the NIMBY areas.

Sunset Park has one megastore, its called Costco. If you put Wal Mart in 2nd Avenue in Sunset, you will kill business in 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 11th and 12th Avenue or even the entire borough of Brooklyn since it is near a major roadway called Gowansus Expressway.

Coney Island and Brighton Beach needs a mega supermarket (ex: Stop and Shop) not Wal Mart grand scale. Those two neighborhoods are quickly taken up spaces by building a grand high rise apartment complex.

and NO to put a Wal Mart on LIC and Queens Plaza area. You gonna mess my commute into Manhattan with the traffic. There is a meag store near by and it is Astoria called Costco.

Sunset Park has one megastore, its called Costco. If you put Wal Mart in 2nd Avenue in Sunset, you will kill business in 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 11th and 12th Avenue or even the entire borough of Brooklyn since it is near a major roadway called Gowansus Expressway.

Coney Island and Brighton Beach needs a mega supermarket (ex: Stop and Shop) not Wal Mart grand scale. Those two neighborhoods are quickly taken up spaces by building a grand high rise apartment complex.

and NO to put a Wal Mart on LIC and Queens Plaza area. You gonna mess my commute into Manhattan with the traffic. There is a meag store near by and it is Astoria called Costco.

A stop & shop on Surf Ave would be great for Coney Island. The only 24/7 all night supermarket in Coney IslandBrighton area is located in Bensonhurst/Gravesend border on Crospey.

And buddy(w8Hou;86652) you can take the subway or LIRR if you want a faster ride to Manhattan. A Target in LIC/Queens Plaza area would be great. The area around 23 rd St and Jackson Ave would be great.

A stop & shop on Surf Ave would be great for Coney Island. The only 24/7 all night supermarket in Coney IslandBrighton area is located in Bensonhurst/Gravesend border on Crospey.

And buddy(w8Hou;86652) you can take the subway or LIRR if you want a faster ride to Manhattan. A Target in LIC/Queens Plaza area would be great. The area around 23 rd St and Jackson Ave would be great.

You will create a huge traffic problems in that area. Queens doesnt really need a Wal Mart.

The only borough needs a Wal Mart is Staten Island since most of the borough is suburban setting.

Guys, there is a difference between Costco and Walmart/Stop&Shop... It is a megastore but would require membership of 45 or 100 bucks so you can buy stuff (wholesales store), cannot just say Costco is a megastore... Stop and Shop could go to Red Hook and Northern Part of GreenPoint and Walmart possibly... Don't think commute will mess up if they opened something there, of course the city will make the store more accessible and torn down some vacant buildings... As I feel, all Vacant Unusable Buildings in GreenPoint and Red Hook should be torn down...

Huh? Costco is classify as a megastore that carries many products, and has large area per sq ft. Wholesale is another term so does membership, etc.

Also, Wal Mart will kill small business and traffic if you gonna put in Greenpoint and Red Hook also nearby neighborhoods like Park Slope. I dont think there is room to compete Wal Mart especially Red Hook has Ikea, The Home Depot and Lowe's.

Costco is a MemberShip required Wholesale WareHouse. Don't be 'a silly fella' with a very frequent Costco shopper... You cannot go into the store like Walmart and Stop&Shop... Here is a WikiPedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costco : FYI...

You cannot go in and buy anything without a membership...

We are talking about the big mega retail stores that has larger area inside the store, parking, competing prices, etc. It doesnt matter if the store carries membership, requirements etc, thats for consumer decision if you wanna buy at wholesales.

A Wal Mart or Target in LI City near Queens Plaza would be a great location. It's away from any form of NIMBY opposition since it would be in an industrial area.

Ditto along 2nd Avenue in Sunset Park away from the NIMBY areas.

A Wal Mart opened in Chicago South Side and Philadelphia Southern End (near the Walt Whitman Bridge)with huge success.

So why not a Wal Mart or more Targets in NYC? Again not in every neighborhood but more in industrial places that could be bulit up.

There's a Target in Elmhurst. But getting back to the issue, although low income residents would love a Walmart, self righteous politicians ban Walmarts since those politicians are supported by unions.

There's a Target in Elmhurst. But getting back to the issue, although low income residents would love a Walmart, self righteous politicians ban Walmarts since those politicians are supported by unions.

Perfectly said Mr. Wilson. Instead of letting the 'communitires' themselves' make a choice of whether a Wal Mart should open, City Council Members mostly Democrtaic Party members with huge support from Unions, act like a 'mommy or daddy' and refuse to let the people they elected to serve do so.

And 'yes' i do support limited number of Wal Mart or more Targets in the 5 boros. Also more regional stores like Stop & Shop, Pathmark and Shoprite too.And for those of you who support 'mom & pop' stores some of them are terrible. Such as out dated products that way too expensive, dirty stores, and for some boegedas rotten food too, etc.

There has to be a way for both 'mom & pop' stores and box stores/regional supermarkets to 'co-exist' in IMO.

I know what megastores mean but membership matters too a lot of people... They don't want to waste their money on thing the don't need. Big mega retail stores are really more applicable to Walmart and Stop & Shop. So far, I feel people should go to local Stop and Shop, KMart and Targets since there are Plenty around the city.

Costco, BJ's and Sams Club* (Owned By WalMart=*) is WholeSale WareHouses (MemberShip Required)...

huh?, you making repetitive response. Its always the consumer choice to shop where they want to buy at their preference. Wholesales is always required membership.

Nope, they kill all the mom & pop stores wherever they open a store. There is lots of data to support it.

Exactly, the people in the area would be protesting.

I know but I thought you didn't understand... Well, the consumers chioce sometimes have incovienience... Stop and Shop, Targets and KMart are already pretty much all over the city so don't worry... New York City is fine, ;)!

Damn... just stick to the point, you don't need to repeat yourself every time. I think we all get it from the first time.

Exactly, the people in the area would be protesting.

Damn... just stick to the point, you don't need to repeat yourself every time. I think we all get it from the first time.

Thank you for pointed out. I dont know why he is making the same responses and everybody who post in this topic, knows what they are talking about.

Just don't argue or comment like you fellas don't understand what is Costco, BJ's and Sams Club by Walmart...

If they really dont know what is Costco, Wal Mart, Macy*s , etc. By all means they could ask here for a simple question or go research in the internet or somewhere else. Unlike you, you keep repeating the same points over, and over again, which we understand. I am sure most people in this board who reply to this topic understand the Wal Mart store coming to NYC is a big issue and people who posted their points already address the issue.

Guys play nice.

- A

Play nice?, more like be civil or respectful to each other as a better alternative to play nice.

Cosco has a fleet of container ships that bring in its products from europe and asia. If that doesnt' qualify it as being a megamart, i don't see what can.

Lets get back on the topic of why there are no wal-marts especially in manhattan.

- A

I know, but just consider in MemberShip... All non-membership required stores don't consider Costco, BJ's and Sams Club a megastore or something you can compete on... I got failed attempts to lower prices on goods in JR, BH and 6th Ave. Even Best Buy and Cicruit City when once a TV is more expensive than Costco + the Membership in all stores...

I made a poll in another forum which apprently closed down and ended up everyone agreeing Costco is not a MegaStore...

I dont know what are you are talking about. You jumping many points again, stick to one point. You failed to understand Costco is a mega retail store. It is a mega retail store because of the size and locations all over the US and carries are kinds of consumers products. Same with K-Mart, Target, Wal Mart. It doesnt matter what the prices marked on, consumers decide if they want to buy it or not.

Oh boy, you need to take a course in Business.

Archived