Why doesn't NJT operate rail service past trenton?

metsfan

If the :ac: runs from philly, why not :nec:?

As i understand now, the service is basically hourly with :septa:. Isn't there a way that (NJT) and :septa: could operate alternately every 30 minutes? You could have (NJT) only stop at levittown (on whatever track made sense), northeast philly, and 30th st if ridership is the issue. I don't think the R7 carries the passenger load that it could, because people usually end up taking RiverLINE to PATCO or some similar combination. How about JUST trenton and 30th st? You could even have (NJT) EMU short consist (4-6 cars) for the service.

I guess i'm just tired of having to wait so long for a train ride that can take long for seemingly no reason. I'd like to be able to ride from newark or new york to levittown, hell i'd even take 30th st as i could then hop the R3 which has a much closer station to me than levittown.

Where is PRR when you need it? :P

- A

The NEC doesn't run beyond Trenton because:

1. NJT doesn't want to make the line too long.

2. The ridership is just not there. Sure during the rush hour you can get a good amount of ridership but thats about it.

3. Amtrak would probably say no to avoid giving people the luxury of a one seat, local ride to Philly.

4. Keep it as it is because the R7 is one of SEPTA's major cashflows and we wouldn't want to take that away from them....

The ACL runs to Philly for the reason of not terminating the line right at Cherry Hill. Why terminate there when trains can even fill more at Philly. Think of it this way, Philly is like the New York City for the ACL.

2. The ridership is just not there. Sure during the rush hour you can get a good amount of ridership but thats about it.

3. Amtrak would probably say no to avoid giving people the luxury of a one seat, local ride to Philly.

4. Keep it as it is because the R7 is one of SEPTA's major cashflows and we wouldn't want to take that away from them....

The ACL runs to Philly for the reason of not terminating the line right at Cherry Hill. Why terminate there when trains can even fill more at Philly. Think of it this way, Philly is like the New York City for the ACL.

I see the light. Thank you sir! :tup:

- A

All of your reasons are pure speculation on your part. The one and only reason is Amtrak will not allow it.

As for the ACL line you hit that right on the head.The problem with the ACL line is if something needs a part or something done it has to go all the way up the NEC to the MMC especially if Morrisville does not have the parts or equipment to do it.

I once took the :septa: Express with my friend Greta when she came down. The ridership was actually very staggering! NJT should run some select service to 30th Street, stopping only at Newark Penn, Newark Airport, Metropark, New Brunswick, Princton Jct, Trenton, Levittown, North Philly, and 30th Street. IT should be ran every hour out of Penn Station with an ALP-46 and 10 Multi-Levels. Also have a select few train run limited stops during rush hour. Stops at Newark Penn, Metropark, Trenton, and 30th Street.

This is my thesis on the NJ Transit Clocker

I once took the :septa: Express with my friend Greta when she came down. The ridership was actually very staggering! NJT should run some select service to 30th Street, stopping only at Newark Penn, Newark Airport, Metropark, New Brunswick, Princton Jct, Trenton, Levittown, North Philly, and 30th Street. IT should be ran every hour out of Penn Station with an ALP-46 and 10 Multi-Levels. Also have a select few train run limited stops during rush hour. Stops at Newark Penn, Metropark, Trenton, and 30th Street.

This is my thesis on the NJ Transit Clocker

It's both political, and technical. Since PC stopped service, the northeast corridor has been split between 6 transit agencies (7 if you count VRE), and amtrak running the whole route. When PRR was alive and well, they would have trains to/from and between so many stations it'd make your head spin. For example, i could get on at rahway, and get off at eddington. Currently Rahway is only served by (NJT), and eddington is only served by :septa:. My issue with it really is the lack of continuity. I'm all for states taking up transit and offering that, however i think it needs to be WAY more integrated, especially around the borders where major routes pass through.

Really the way things are now are NOTHING like how they used to be in the late 30's. You have whole ROW's just sitting out there, some with track some without, that are still legally a rail right of way and that have not seen a train in 20+ years, sometimes more.

I'm not going to get into it more, because i could write a book on it (several people all ready have), but the way things used to be are gone, and the way things are now, need to change a bit. Some day, hopefully when i'm still relatively young i hope to see that. :P

- A

We are not going to see the big red subway back anytime soon, forget this issue. The NJT/SEPTA shuffle works alright. Transit now offers a few SEPTA stations on their TVM's and I think right now that is all we can ask for.

We are not going to see the big red subway back anytime soon, forget this issue. The NJT/SEPTA shuffle works alright. Transit now offers a few SEPTA stations on their TVM's and I think right now that is all we can ask for.

Yea, once trenton is done being renovated they need to put in :septa: TVM. They actually don't right now as far as i've seen, you have to buy it from station agent or onboard with cash. Since i never have cash.... Presents a problem with station agent hours.

As much as i'd love to see some tuscan red "subways" as you put it, yea, not likely. At least we have one consolation ... the :septa: train all most always waits for the (NJT) train! :cool::tup:

- A

They had 2 on the southbound platform, but (NJT) took them away after :septa: de-activated them. I think the TVM's on that platform (i believe there are 2 (NJT)) should be programmed to do :septa: stuff.

- A

Archived