Staten Island Division Update

SIR North Shore

IMHO, the Staten Island Division is doing better than any other right now for a number of reasons. As a frequent rider of SI buses, I feel like the MTA is treating SI very well, so much in fact that I find myself being appalled by the conditions of some of the buses at depots like MJQ, CS, GH, WF or 100th St Depot.

Currently though, they have dispatchers and those time-recorders all over the borough now which would have been unheard of prior to 2008. The buses have become timely as they should be now which is a plus.

Then you have the O7NGs arriving straight from factory, which are being kept in great kept condition. (Besides the

And now the MTA is RE-OVERHAULING the 1999 Orion Vs on SI. Yes, the same fleet that was overhauled between 2007-2008 is now being overhauled again only a year later. They're being whitebacked, having new seats placed in, new windows again and some are receiving new DD50s BUT the biggest one of them all is the Stop Request strips are being replaced "en masse" with pull cords like the O7NGs. Every single O5 that goes through the overhaul (about to 15-20+ at this point) is receiving pull cords. This whole overhaul program screams redundancy and waste of money because the buses don't need it like they did last year but I'm not complaining lol.

1999 Orion V #6293 shown below, was one of the buses that was overhauled in 2008 and just overhauled a couple of weeks ago.

Before (2008):

img00040oc1.jpg

After (2009):

img00004hr9.jpg

IMHO, the Staten Island Division is doing better than any other right now for a number of reasons. As a frequent rider of SI buses, I feel like the MTA is treating SI very well, so much in fact that I find myself being appalled by the conditions of some of the buses at depots like MJQ, CS, GH, WF or 100th St Depot.

Currently though, they have dispatchers and those time-recorders all over the borough now which would have been unheard of prior to 2008. The buses have become timely as they should be now which is a plus.

Then you have the O7NGs arriving straight from factory, which are being kept in great kept condition. (Besides the

And now the MTA is RE-OVERHAULING the 1999 Orion Vs on SI. Yes, the same fleet that was overhauled between 2007-2008 is now being overhauled again only a year later. They're being whitebacked, having new seats placed in, new windows again and some are receiving new DD50s BUT the biggest one of them all is the Stop Request strips are being replaced "en masse" with pull cords like the O7NGs. Every single O5 that goes through the overhaul (about to 15-20+ at this point) is receiving pull cords. This whole overhaul program screams redundancy and waste of money because the buses don't need it like they did last year but I'm not complaining lol.

1999 Orion V #6293 shown below, was one of the buses that was overhauled in 2008 and just overhauled a couple of weeks ago.

Before (2008):

img00040oc1.jpg

After (2009):

img00004hr9.jpg

Glad to see you back here, I'm hopefully heading down to the Island tomorrow, taking advantage of the warm weather, and getting me some bus stuff :)

I noticed a bunch of Vs looking real fresh the last time I went there. Some of them didnt even have ads, but they better fix 6220, it has a cracked rear. I dont think most of those buses are undergoing GoHs, just special maintenance. But with some receiving new DD50s, thats pretty mind boggling!

Concerning the NGs, Yukon is next to receive the new battery pack NGs, not exactly sure to what number, I gotta call my uncle for info, he'll be @ yukon tomorrow for work. More 3800s might be leaving the island to spread out to other depots. Tomorrow I hope to see some 4000 series NGs out and about

will they be ?pulling cord on 2000 orion5 #6000 - #6119 (

part of gun hill depot of bus

Did you read the thread title? STATEN ISLAND!!!!

And don't

make

your

this.

BTW, I love how SI has taken care of these buses past few months. I'm gonna go down there sometime, maybe next week.

Archived