J/Z Express

mark1447

I notice while at 121st Street station on saturday, that there was an old sign (From the 90s and maybe late 80s) that says: (J) Express From Myrtle to Canal Street. While the (Z) said Skip-stop Express as I recall.

How was it possible that the (J) (and (Z) maybe) ran express up to Canal Street, did it skip Essex and/or bowery. Or it just ran local after Marcy, just indicates it to canal street to show people that it is a Nassau Street Express. Im just confused a bit..

The line used to be like the 4th Avenue line, with local on side, express in middle. Nassau local would run on the side, and express would run in middle though they had the same stops. That's what i think.

4th Ave Line, umm im not talking about brooklyns BMT 4th ave lol, if thats what u mean.

As for the Local on the side, and express on the other , u mean like bowery, where there is an abandoned platform, was the express?

4th Ave Line, umm im not talking about brooklyns BMT 4th ave lol, if thats what u mean.

As for the Local on the side, and express on the other , u mean like bowery, where there is an abandoned platform, was the express?

The current tracks the (J)/(Z) uses were Southbound local and express before. The abandoned were northbound- local and express.

The (J) and (Z) trains are good skip-stop partners, I do remember seeing those trains use the express tracks only during rush-hours though, along Nassau Street. It's weird, because while there were four tracks at Bowery and Canal Street, there's only three tracks at Essex Street, so I am not really sure if both express tracks between Bowery and Canal Street were used, since there's only one express track at Essex Street. I'm assuming the express tracks were used in peak direction.

To bad the (Z) cant run exp to/from at Bway/Junction. Then it would rly show the (Z) as an exp..

I like the idea of a (Z) express section between Marcy Avenue and Broadway Junction with Myrtle Avenue-Broadway as the only stop in between, I don't know about the passenger loads of that service will perform between the (J) and (Z).

the (J)(Z) used to skip bowery whenever the (M) goes into Manhattan, but they changed that in September 2002 for some reason. the only time skip-stop service operated in both directions was during the 1999 williamsburg briddge reconstruction.

i guess bowery was made a stop for all, cuz it didnt sound like an express much..

The track configuration in Manahattan has changed many times for the Nassua St line.

Essex St used to be a 4 track station, not sure why the configuration changed. The middle tracks bumpered at Canal and the outer locals continued to the west side of Chambers St. Chambers was a terminal for many trains prior to the cutting of the Nassau St loop.

They removed 1 of the 4 tracks and the line was 3 tracks for many years to this day with two in regular service. Sometimes Brooklyn bound trains entered Essex in the middle, other times on the southern track. Not sure why.

Now it is a two track in revenue service line. The uptown side of Canal and Bowery are abandoned.

When the Manhattan Bridge closed in 1986, I heard that the R68s once ran down the Nassau St line. The D trains went local at Broadway-Lafeyette and ran up the Christie St connector(old K train route). Because the trains were so long, they reversed them out into the Williamsburg Bridge. Then, the trains went down the Nassau St Line and through the Montague St Tunnel.

From what I know(not sure of the time period), some J trains used to terminate at Canal St. The "express" tracks were solely used by the J, while the M used the outer tracks to Broad St.

Wouldn't that create congestion? Delancy/Essex is 3 tracked and the only way that would be possible is if southbound (J)s terminating at Canal Street would use the center tracks, that would mess around with northbound (M) service from wherever it was returning from and trains would have to wait.

Wouldn't that create congestion? Delancy/Essex is 3 tracked and the only way that would be possible is if southbound (J)s terminating at Canal Street would use the center tracks, that would mess around with northbound (M) service from wherever it was returning from and trains would have to wait.
I don't know what happened back then, but my relatives told me that it did happen.

That did happen, you can read it somewhere on nycsubway.org. But I also read somewhere that the 75ft cars could not fit in the the Christie St to Delancy St connector tunnels so I don't think they used R68's for the ones that did that reverse move. But I could be wrong.

That did happen, you can read it somewhere on nycsubway.org. But I also read somewhere that the 75ft cars could not fit in the the Christie St to Delancy St connector tunnels so I don't think they used R68's for the ones that did that reverse move. But I could be wrong.

actually, what R44_5278 is talking about happened in 1982 during a weekend construction project that shut down the north side of the manhattan. the R68/68As did not come yet and R44/46s were not allowed to run on the (D) because of vibration and noise complaints from brighton residents.

when the Manhattan Bridge was closed in 1986, the (B)(D) trains were split into two sections similar to what happened in 2001 and the (N) was sent via the Montague Street Tunnel on weekdays.

Archived