R32 Question

R44 5278

When I rode on the R32 Phase Is and Phase IIs in the past I've noticed different placements with their horns:

This one has a horn right above the cab:

r32_3437.jpg

This one doesn't:

r32_3847.jpg

I've noticed for quite some time that the R32s with horns above the cabs make a screeching noise like some horns on the R44s, while the R32s with horns below the coupler make the regular WABCO sound. Is there a chance that the R32s with horns above the cab are the first R32s, while the R32s with horns below the couplers R32As?

I also noticed a little difference in the prop. One of the models sounds like a R-68 when moving and another sound like a RedBird. I cannot really detect which Phase are the models. Too late to identify them, school bell destroyed my ear, :P.
I think that's b/c R32s use Westinghouse motors like the majority of the Redbirds.

The R32 and R32A designations are meaningless nowadays. All are R32's.

The best way to tell the difference between Phase I and Phase II besides if you have a good ear for the brake equipment is the location of the passenger door cutouts...if it's on the side of the heater underneath the seat it's a Phase II. If it's on the inside of the door frame, it's a Phase I.

All R32 have the same KL3C horn. If they sound different, that's because of age. Some horns are rusted, cracked, or even incapable to make a sound. All NYCTA train have KL3C horns except the R160s which have KL7H horn which sound electronic.

All R32 have the same KL3C horn. If they sound different, that's because of age. Some horns are rusted, cracked, or even incapable to make a sound. All NYCTA train have KL3C horns except the R160s which have KL7H horn which sound electronic.
Are those horns made by WABCO?

Archived