Does anybody here watch VH1 reality shows?

trainfan22

I used to watch Flavor of Love, I Love New York or Charmed School!

Reality show. I am sick and tired of them across all of television. :tdown::mad:

Sadly 'reality' is here to stay since they are much cheaper for the TV networks to make them than 'scprited' series from '24' "grey antomany' etc.

I wish VH1 and sister station MTV go back to their 'roots' and play music videos full time.:mad:

Reality show. I am sick and tired of them across all of television. :tdown::mad:

Sadly 'reality' is here to stay since they are much cheaper for the TV networks to make them than 'scprited' series from '24' "grey antomany' etc.

I wish VH1 and sister station MTV go back to their 'roots' and play music videos full time.:mad:

Some reality shows are really interesting. Like True Life that show talks about real teen issues like storoids, speech problems, Drag racing, obseity etc.

Some reality shows are really interesting. Like True Life that show talks about real teen issues like storoids, speech problems, Drag racing, obseity etc.

True Life is an awesome show. The garbage thats on VH1 nowadays is horrible. They need to stop. I really don't care to see celebrity wannabes acting like they want love or any of that stuff. The only reality shows that I like are Rob & Big and Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy factory. Real world is still decent I guess.

I am not saying all reality shows are bad. My whole point is that there too many of them on TV right now. Also dare i say too many tv stations both on 'free tv' and digital cable in America right now. As a kid growing up in the 1980's/90's i used to dream of having a 200-plus channel tv world. That why i dont watch alot of TV anymore and thank god for the internet.

As a kid MTV used to play videos almost 24 hours (not counting concerts or a limited amout of specials)

Now thanks to dergulation of entire media biz, with a company like CBS/Viacom or Disney/ABC owning 20-plus channels apiece, as an adult in 2009 i now regret it. :P

While i am bored with so many reality shows, here an article that proves how young teens still love this format.Some not so great news for the NBA and it's TV partners ABC/ESPN and TNT. Despite some great ratings in the 1st round, highlighted by the classic Celts-Bulls 7 game series, in the current 2nd round not too great.

Here Daily News story.

Nickelodeon's 'iCarly' bests Lakers-Rockets NBA playoff game in Nielsen Ratings

By Richard Huff

DAILY NEWS TV EDITOR

Wednesday, May 13th 2009

Nickelodeon's Miranda Cosgrove stuffed Kobe Bryant last week.

Well, not on the court, but in the Nielsen department. Miranda Cosgrove stars in the title role of 'iCarly.'

Cosgrove's series "iCarly" was the top-rated show of any kind on basic cable last week. At No. 2: TNT's telecast on Wednesday of the Bryant-led Lakers versus the Houston Rockets in the NBA playoffs.

Saturday's "iCarly," with a one-hour special episode, "I Date a Bad Boy," generated 6.5 million viewers, while the Lakers-Rockets game averaged 6.3 million. The show also beat early season MLB Baseball and the WWE Wrestling in the ratings as well.

The Nickelodeon series stars Cosgrove in a semi reality scrpited drama as a teenager who has a show on the Internet.

"You know your series is a monster hit when you get to beat an NBA playoff," said Marjorie Cohn, executive vice president of original programming and development at Nickelodeon. "This is a smart show with a lot of social currency."

Saturday marked the second time in two months that "iCarly" was the most-watched show on basic cable. The last time it happened was March. Analysts believe this is a blow for NBA Boss David Stern goal of trying to attract the teenage audience.

The special focused on Carly, who is normally a good egg, going against her friends and dating a guy labeled a bad boy, only to find out he wasn't so bad.

"I think what kids like to see is real-life situations played out against a little bit of fantasy," Cohn said. "They use these shows as a social currency. What happens if you like a bad boy? And it's played out in a safe environment."

The episode generated "iCarly's" best audience levels with tweens - viewers aged 9 to 14 - ever, according to Nielsen statistics provided by Nickelodeon. The show was also up by triple digits in several demographic breakdowns.

This despite fact the NBA playoffs is shown on '3' channels,and heavily promoted with ESPN and TNT spliting coverage of most of the playoffs.

While ABC-TV showing the weekend afternoon and NBA championship Finals.

"Nickelodeon has a tradition of funny, smart, strong girl characters that boys can watch, too," Cohn said.

For the year to date, "iCarly" is the top live-action kids' series on either broadcast TV or basic cable with viewers ages 2 to 11, ages 6 to 11 and overall,according to Nielsen.

Even so, Cosgrove isn't a household name along the lines of some other stars targeting kids.

"I think Miranda will probably one day be on everything," Cohn said, adding that the actress is pacing her career. "We think Miranda has a brilliant and bright future."

c)2009 NY Daily News, Inc. @nydailynews.com

FYI. Has anyone seen ICarly" yet?

Archived