PA: WTC Quarterly Report

MTR Admiralty

The following are some highlights:

-North pool formed for National September 11 Memorial and Museum

-Erection of the Memorial steel is over 50% complete

-First private lease signed for One World Trade Centre (China Centre)

-One World Trade Centre reaches 105 feet above street level

-PA awards largest contract for WTC Transportation Hub, 22,000 tonnes of steel (equivalent of twice the steel used to build the new Yankee Stadium)

-PA releases WTC jobs/economic activity report, which shows more than 26,000 jobs created and $14.5 bn in economic activity generated

-Over 74,000 tonnes of soil and rock have been removed from beneath the No. 1 line subway structure

-The NYSDOT has completed construction of the river water lines to the western slurry wall of the site.

-All 51 new tiebacks have been installed and grouted in the exposed slurry at the Memorial site

-Over 9,000 cubic yards of concrete were placed throughout the site this past Quarter- enough to make a sidewalk 50 miles long.

-Over 2,800 tonnes of steel was erected this past Quarter- equivalent to the skeleton of a 15-storey building or the weight of 10 Statues of Liberty.

-No major accidents or injuries

-The subscriber list for the PA's WTC Updates- alerts to notify subscribers of significant construction activities and any associated impacts on pedestrians or vehicular movement around the Site- more than doubled

*Fulton Street will be extended through the site to deliver more construction vehicles to work on the Transit Hub, the Memorial and the Freedom Tower

*5 new arches would be needed to support the newly extended street and act as the roof for the East-West Passageway

*PATH Platform A and Tracks 1 & 2 will be OOS for Transit Hall work

Click the link for the entire document:

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt48/HMAN_C_K/Jay%20Street%2020-4-2009/DSC03265.jpg

It really should have been done by 2008-2010. I don't understand what was the major holdup (but it's probably so complex you could make a documentary out of it). Glad to see some progress, but it sounds like they went up 5 more feet in over a month. Man, if the steel industry hadn't tanked they'd be going much faster.

The major holdup is that it's a 4 dimensional jigsaw puzzle. I say 4 because 3 physical and then time. Some stuff has to wait for other stuff, and so on, and if one thing is late then other things are thrown off causing things to be even more delayed.

The memorial will be done before any of the buildings, i can tell you that right now.

I just want a better connection to chambers st (E). It used to be a simple walk and some short stairs, now it's all the way up to vessy st (street level) and over to broadway and down again through crowds of people some of which are stopped lost or taking photos & that too narrow stairway on the northwest corner there. When you're sweating from combined weather and train related heat, the current stairs are more like a wall.

- A

The major holdup is that it's a 4 dimensional jigsaw puzzle. I say 4 because 3 physical and then time. Some stuff has to wait for other stuff, and so on, and if one thing is late then other things are thrown off causing things to be even more delayed.

The memorial will be done before any of the buildings, i can tell you that right now.

I just want a better connection to chambers st (E). It used to be a simple walk and some short stairs, now it's all the way up to vessy st (street level) and over to broadway and down again through crowds of people some of which are stopped lost or taking photos & that too narrow stairway on the northwest corner there. When you're sweating from combined weather and train related heat, the current stairs are more like a wall.

- A

Yes, the Memorial is expected to complete. The new station should complete around the same time. However, when I saw new station, I mean the underground work. The aboveground superstructure won't take place till later. After that, the Freedom Tower will top out, and Tower 4 coming in a year later or so. T2 and T3 will continue on slowly. The PAC must wait till the temporary station comes down before it can be built. Deutsch Bank tower will be demolished by Q4 2009 or Q1 2010.

According to a Downtown Express article, there are plans to shut Vesey Street down to expedite work, meaning that the station entrance at the northwest corner of Church and Vesey will be rendered inaccessible to all. That sparked anger especially from the CB1 population.

Thanks for the update and well. The Freedom Tower (WTC 1), WTC 4 Transit Center could be completed with the Memorial if people could work more diligently and can be comfortable of what their job is!

What? You're expecting superhuman work, now? A 1,776 feet structure, now just 105 feet above grade to be completed in 2 years? Don't forget all of those security features and everything.

Don't be too dramatic, I don't expect anyone, any country, any construction company to complete a 100+ Floor tower in just 2 years (Weather both leap or not)!

I was saying if these people would work diligently on getting the project done, it would be fast. No matter how high or low the person's rank is - from Homeless to President of USA.

There are many factors that contribute to the schedule of a building's completion. They include local politics and funding. If those two aren't a problem, the whole WTC site could be re-developed soon.

Like i said it's a 4 dimensional jigsaw puzzle, being put together by bureaucrats, politicians, and an old rich guy.

If vessy street is closed, they will have to re-open the connection to chambers street (E). The connection is still there, but they are using it as a staging ground for supplies equipment rest area etc for some of the work. They would have to move that, maybe to vessy street for the connection to work well. Otherwise it may resemble a long narrow plywood tunnel.

- A

Those in BPC are going to be very limited. Don't forget though, they do have the Downtown Connection shuttle buses.

I don't think a shuttle bus can replace the loss of 2 high traffic pedestrian routes.

Not only is this all taking entirely too long, but now we have to somehow work in an extra 1000+ feet of walking into the picture? Irresponsible & poor planning.

- A

I don't think a shuttle bus can replace the loss of 2 high traffic pedestrian routes.

Not only is this all taking entirely too long, but now we have to somehow work in an extra 1000+ feet of walking into the picture? Irresponsible & poor planning.

- A

Exactly, there's a high pedestrian volume on both the Liberty and the Vesey bridges. Those two plans will only hinder pedestrian access in the area.

LowerManhattan.info and LMDC both provide info regularly, however not many people in the CB1 area check it everyday.

Archived