DMV info for CDL permit?

wyndnfire

hello all, been reading lots of good info on here for the last yr or so. i obtained cdl permit w/ b p feb. 2008 but was only good for a yr. took the boss 2 weeks and now am a bit anxious on getting cdl again so i can be prepared for the next step. i cant take a whole day off from work and i work 7a-3p and am wondering if anyone on here is familiar w/ the dmv on w8st in brooklyn, states one can go between 10a and 2pm for cdl test, but can i actually walk in at 1pm and not have a problem when i get there? does anyone know of another dmv in any of the boroughs with later hours to take test? any info will help.

hello all, been reading lots of good info on here for the last yr or so. i obtained cdl permit w/ b p feb. 2008 but was only good for a yr. took the boss 2 weeks and now am a bit anxious on getting cdl again so i can be prepared for the next step. i cant take a whole day off from work and i work 7a-3p and am wondering if anyone on here is familiar w/ the dmv on w8st in brooklyn, states one can go between 10a and 2pm for cdl test, but can i actually walk in at 1pm and not have a problem when i get there? does anyone know of another dmv in any of the boroughs with later hours to take test? any info will help.

You could've renewed your permit......however the DMV @ Jamaica queens test all day.

could have renewed??? wow, assuming from the way you wrote, it's too late to renew right?.....but thank you on the info of which dmv test all day....do you happen to know the latest time and day of week? and can you tell me if the one on rockaway blvd is the one you're talking about or 91st ave.....

could have renewed??? wow, assuming from the way you wrote, it's too late to renew right?.....but thank you on the info of which dmv test all day....do you happen to know the latest time and day of week? and can you tell me if the one on rockaway blvd is the one you're talking about or 91st ave.....

You can renew a learner permit. if you passed the written test in the last two years, and your permit expired in the last 30 days.

168-46 91st Ave # 2

Jamaica, NY 11432

Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 a.m

For more information call: 718-966-6155

The Springfield Gardens DMV and the Whitestone / Flushing DMV are open late -- until 6 p.m. -- on Thursdays.

Keep in mind that you have to be at the DMV at least a half hour before closing time. On a day when the office has late hours to 6 p.m. or later, you must arrive at least one hour before the closing time.

Good luck!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

I called the number provided and was told none of the DMV in NYC go pass 1pm to 2pm for cdl permit...even if it stays open later.should I try anyway? Thanks for all info guys

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

I called the number provided and was told none of the DMV in NYC go pass 1pm to 2pm for cdl permit...even if it stays open later.should I try anyway? Thanks for all info guys

Can't you take a day off from work? Call in sick perhaps? I just hope for your sake that you pass them all in 1 shot,otherwise you have to go to another DMV office and take the tests that you failed over again.

I was fortunate enough to have a boss that Allowed me to take off for 2 weeks...due to a death in family and actually just returned yesterday...I had already taken n passed all 3 the 1st time and don't think I'll have a problem the 2nd...I am trying to avoid calling sick and/or taking more time off etc....after just returning...that is why I am seeking for anyones knowledge/experiences at DMV as far as later hours for cdl tests...

u dont have to take the test over again. you are allowed to renew your permit 3 times. you still have time to renew the permit, you have within 60 days. if i were you i would do it online or go in and it should be quick since all your doing is renewing the permit. i just did mine last week its $20. Mine had expired on the 21st of april. i got called to go to 180 tommorrow.

u know what u have up to 2 years from taking the test to renew a cdl permit.

You can renew a learner permit only if you passed the written test during the previous two years. This requirement means that you cannot renew a learner permit that was issued more than two years ago. If you passed the written test more than two years ago, you must apply for a new learner permit and pass a new vision test and a new written test.

If you are eligible to renew your learner permit, you can renew your the permit no more than 30 days before the permit expires, or no more than two years after the date you passed the written test for your original permit. You must renew by mail or at a DMV office. You cannot renew a learner permit on-line.

this is taken from the DMV site.

Hey buddy got this from the DMV website. maybe this can give some insight.

3) RENEW ONLINE

You must meet several requirements to be able to enjoy the convenience of renewing your driver license online. To renew online:

You must pass a vision test and have an eye care professional complete Form MV-619 (Eye Test Report). This form will remain valid for six or 12 months. You must not have moved. If your current address doesn't match the one the DMV has in its records, you can't renew online. The date that you renew must be within one year before or two years AFTER the expiration date of your license. Your mailing address must be within the United States, even if you are posted on a military base. The DMV must have a record of your Social Security number. You can't renew online if you're in jail, your license has been suspended or revoked, your license is conditional or restricted, you participate in the Ignition Interlock Device Program, or your license displays the words, "Valid Without Photo." There are even more restrictions, but if you're one of the lucky ones who meets all the qualifications, you may renew online.

You will be asked for some information from Form MV-619, and you will provide credit card information to pay the renewal fee. The DMV will use the same photo and signature as on your previous license to issue you a new license, which will arrive by mail in at least four weeks.

5) RENEW IN PERSON

If you don't meet the requirements to renew online or by mail, you'll need to renew in person.

Bring along the renewal form that the DMV mailed you, or fill out Form MV-44. If you're renewing a non-driver photo ID card, you must also bring your Social Security card or proof that you are not eligible for one. Take the vision test, unless you provide Form MV-619. Pay the renewal fee.

Thanks guys....lots of great info.... Mine expired mi fen. But am I understanding correctly,..it's passed 60 days that it expired but not more than 2 yrs from the time I took cdl test I can still renew instead?

Thanks guys....lots of great info.... Mine expired mi fen. But am I understanding correctly,..it's passed 60 days that it expired but not more than 2 yrs from the time I took cdl test I can still renew instead?

So it's been a little over 3 months since your CDL Permit expired. I don't think you can renew it,sorry. This is what I got from the DMV website.

"You can renew a learner permit. if you passed the written test in the last two years, AND your permit expired in the last 30 days."

This is something that was on my mind last year when I got my CDL Permit,I didn't want to let it expire(I thought it was only good for 1 yr and then you had to do everything all over again). So after getting my permit in January/08,I registered at a driving school and by the end of May/08 got my CDL B. One less thing to be concerned with when the time comes for the pre-employment process.

ok, i decided to head to herald square dmv since i work only 2 blocks from it and reading all the info i was getting from you guys, i inquired and it is so, one can renew within 2 yrs even if it has expired more than 30 days and so i renewed!!!! i was under the same impression as you were with what i read on dmv website as well, it's a bit confusing or misleading but am glad i came here for some additional info. thanks again!

by the way, was thinking of going to driving school and getting the license for the same reason, one less thing to be concerned about. which one did you go to? were they reasonably priced? any package deals?

ok, i decided to head to herald square dmv since i work only 2 blocks from it and reading all the info i was getting from you guys, i inquired and it is so, one can renew within 2 yrs even if it has expired more than 30 days and so i renewed!!!! i was under the same impression as you were with what i read on dmv website as well, it's a bit confusing or misleading but am glad i came here for some additional info. thanks again!

by the way, was thinking of going to driving school and getting the license for the same reason, one less thing to be concerned about. which one did you go to? were they reasonably priced? any package deals?

I went to Academy Driving school in bushwick. I trained for 10 consecutive days and took my roadtest in the Bronx. I highly recomend them.

1daysoon

I went to Academy Driving school in bushwick. I trained for 10 consecutive days and took my roadtest in the Bronx. I highly recomend them.

Thanks!

What was the price range for the 10 days you trained?

i advise you to ask if they have a RTS. honestly it will be hard to find a school with this type of bus. remember you not going to drive a school bus and there is a big difference from the two models. dont waste your money on lesson packages which could cost you around 300 to 600 bucks and still cant guaranteed you pass. when i got my CDL permit i waited for (MTA) to send me for training. i passed the training and (MTA) set up a road test with DMV to convert my permit in to CDL. it only costed 40 bucks. which cover the road test. please dont think training to drive a bus is hard cause it's really not. trust me you will get the hang of it by the fourth day. best of luck (JFK)

1daysoon

Thanks!

What was the price range for the 10 days you trained?

$85.00 per lesson $115.00 for the roadtest. If you call do go talk to the owner he can see if you qualify for any programs that assist with paying the cost of training.

i advise you to ask if they have a RTS. honestly it will be hard to find a school with this type of bus. remember you not going to drive a school bus and there is a big difference from the two models. dont waste your money on lesson packages which could cost you around 300 to 600 bucks and still cant guaranteed you pass. when i got my CDL permit i waited for (MTA) to send me for training. i passed the training and (MTA) set up a road test with DMV to convert my permit in to CDL. it only costed 40 bucks. which cover the road test. please dont think training to drive a bus is hard cause it's really not. trust me you will get the hang of it by the fourth day. best of luck (JFK)
I totaly understand what you are saying but he cant renew the cdl permit anymore. He will have to sit through the written test all over again.

I hear what you are saying. Basically you got free CDL training. I paid almost $900.00 to get my CDL through a driving school in Ridgewood. To each his own though.

thanks....i was aware of the high cost in doing the training outside of mta....was just considering to i guess feel more at ease when the time actually comes for training. i am a little skeptic with the whole inspection part of it...trying to remember all parts of the bus etc....bit overwhelming. thanks for your advice.

thanks....i was aware of the high cost in doing the training outside of mta....was just considering to i guess feel more at ease when the time actually comes for training. i am a little skeptic with the whole inspection part of it...trying to remember all parts of the bus etc....bit overwhelming. thanks for your advice.

keeep studying, it becomes catchy after a while. hah after your hired you barely check your parking brake if it works!!!:P(MTA)

Archived