GOH of R32/R38/R40/R42

BSmith

My question is about the roofs of the trains. This is where most of the rusting seems to occur except for the R32. However, didn't all of these trains have their roofs replaced? I know different companies did different trains, MK did the R32, GE did the R38. Sumitomo did the R40. Did CI do the R42? Weren't some overhauled by MK? Was different types of steel used for each type of train? If MK did both the R32 and R42, why does the R42's roof rust so much and not the R32?

the roofs of the R38 and 42 seem to be carbon steel. I can say that, because of the luster of the R40, they must have a different material then the R38s and R42s. 44 and 46 are all stainless steel. the most rusted roof in the system is the R42...those R40s have holes on the lower end sides..and the R32 seems to be the best condition roof that is non stainless. it must be the carbon steel which rusts, rather then stainless steel which stains-less..

Carbon steel rusts faster than stainless steel. Carbon steel rusts because of the humidity and its surrounding environment. That's why the R44's are rusting so bad.
Just their stripes, which doesn't really matter. I wished that the T/A replaced them with stainless steel as they did with the R44-SIRTs.

Simple. The R32 is made of 100% pure stainless steel. It is very rust resistant. The R38-R42 have stainless steel skin but their frames are made of low alloy high tensile carbon steel. This rusts more.

Notice how the carbon steel on this R44 rotted. Look towards the under body.

img_64345.jpg

Nobody did it better than the old Budd company. That is why the R32's and any other railroad car built by Budd still looks good after a half-century of life.

In fact Budd invented the shot-welding process for stainless steel car fabrication.

Simple. The R32 is made of 100% pure stainless steel. It is very rust resistant. The R38-R42 have stainless steel skin but their frames are made of low allaoy high tensile carbon steel. This rusts more.

Notice how the carbon steel on this R44 rotted. Look towards the under body.

cant the T/A do one more SMS for the R44? at least till R179 is in. I mean even the SIR's R44 is getting SMS now.

Unless they are limited to 1 sms?

cant the T/A do one more SMS for the R44? at least till R179 is in. I mean even the SIR's R44 is getting SMS now.

Unless they are limited to 1 sms?

Well its not up to me. I'm sure they could do it, but would they actually do it? I'm leaning towards yes, but a light one, not as extensive as the R46's SMS. Some T/O's mentioned here that the (MTA) wanted to retire the R44 with the R160's but were not allowed to because the federal govt. (they give money for car orders) said the R44 still has a few more years of useful life and should not be retired yet. So the (MTA) seems not so appreciative of the R44, and wants them out ASAP. But in the mean time, they would most likely get a light SMS to keep them going until retirement. Honestly, while I think the SMS for the R46 was nice and I like the SMS'd sets more than the non SMS'd, the R46 didn't really need it. The R44 needed it more.

Was there any reason why Budd wasn't chosen for the R38-R46? After all, they did successfully build the M1/3s for the LIRR.

I don't know, but I can guess it was a simple matter of $$. Sometimes government agencies can get around federal funding requirement for going with lowest bid by writing specs that are only possible by the favored builder.

Nobody did it better than the old Budd company. That is why the R32's and any other railroad car built by Budd still looks good after a half-century of life.

In fact Budd invented the shot-welding process for stainless steel car fabrication.

True.

Was there any reason why Budd wasn't chosen for the R38-R46? After all, they did successfully build the M1/3s for the LIRR.

Budd was busy building railcars for the rest of the country in that time.

I don't know, but I can guess it was a simple matter of $$. Sometimes government agencies can get around federal funding requirement for going with lowest bid by writing specs that are only possible by the favored builder.

It was both money and timing. This was the era when most of the railcars we see today were built, and pullman wasn't doing well.

- A

Archived