Promotion to Tower Operator

Donald

So I was just wondering how promotion exams work. Are PROBATIIONARY employees eligible to take promotional exams? I know that they cannot actually get promoted while on probation, but can they take the exam?

Thanks!

You can get promoted while on probation but you must resign from your current title, so you won't have a title to go back to if something happens during your probationary period on your new title. That's why it's best to finish your current probationary period so you have a title to fall back to before taking a promotion.

You can get promoted while on probation but you must resign from your current title, so you won't have a title to go back to if something happens during your probationary period on your new title. That's why it's best to finish your current probationary period so you have a title to fall back to before taking a promotion.

I'm not too sure about that, when the NOE come out check to see how many years you need in tittle first. I know the last TSS promo said that any T/O needed two years in tittle (that's too short or a time but that's for another thread) otherwise they would not qualify. Also, if you resign first, is in really a promotion?

According to the NOE for the last TW/O exam:

"ELIGIBILITY TO TAKE EXAMINATION: This examination is open to each employee of the New York

City Transit Authority who on the date of the multiple-choice test:

(1) holds a permanent (not provisional) competitive appointment in or appears on a Preferred

List (see Note, below) for the title of Conductor, Station Agent, or Transit Electrical

Helper assigned to the Signal Group of the Electrical Department in the Maintenance of

Way Division; and

(2) is not otherwise ineligible."

I guess you can apply for it, but have to be out of probationary status to actually be eligible to take it on the day of the exam.

Thats if the requirments don't change. I think this Tower Exam is nothing more then a money maker. The last Exam they called only acouple of classes with the last class half sent back to thier former titles since Tower Operators been removed from Most A Div locations. Soon Tower Operators will only work the B div and 7 Line.

Well I'm taking it anyway, I really have nothing to lose except some $$ from 1 pay check, and it might get me off the road for a while. There may be less TW/O positions open, but many of them just promoted to T/O and I'd wager most of the rest of them took the T/D exam (which I heard was much more catered towards TW/O and ATDs than T/Os), so there WILL be vacancies sooner or later.....

The head MTA HR guy who writes the exams told us that we can take promotion exams while on probation. But I guess that is not true for all exams because it seems for supervisory jobs like dispatcher and TSS, you must be off probation in order to take the exam. But tower operator is not a supervisory job so I should be able to take it while on probation.

• 4 weeks later...

Crappy thing in this case, they cash your check, let you sit the test, then send you a 'disqualifier letter' afterword..

This is why I love PATH, I was there only 4 days and I took the test for conductor. Now I'm just waiting for the class to start in mid August and I'm on the list for engineer too. The best part is that there is no fee for ANY promo test at PATH.

• 1 month later...

The head MTA HR guy who writes the exams told us that we can take promotion exams while on probation. But I guess that is not true for all exams because it seems for supervisory jobs like dispatcher and TSS, you must be off probation in order to take the exam. But tower operator is not a supervisory job so I should be able to take it while on probation.

Most exams you have to be off probation by the time you're appointed. Some you have to be to take the exam. You just have to read exactly what it says. I'll also be applying for this exam as well as Station Supervisor as well. So TW/O is a management title or not?

TW/O is a TWU job, same as C/R and T/O but without the uniform. You report directly to dispatchers, and how much freedom you actually have to make decisions depends on how much supervision trusts you.

Ok thanx, either it's postponed until further notice so I guess it doesn't matter at the moment .

I believe TW/O is one of the best jobs in transit exept the hours suck on the PM jobs and your days off come with most jobs. Also it's hard to move up seniority wise when they are cutting jobs. I guess the bleeding will stop after they finish the A Div cuts. Last I heard Unionport and Mott will be gone next pick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived