Speed camera agreement for city may be on the way

Harry

post-5097-0-56033100-1396442044_thumb.jpg
Looks like Mayor de Blasio could get his speed cameras after all. Gov. Cuomo and legislative leaders couldn’t agree on a plan to authorize more cameras for the city and Nassau and Suffolk counties in the state budget that passed Monday — but they say they expect to take up the issue in coming weeks. “We did not get to that in this budget, but we will — and will shortly,” Cuomo said Tuesday. De Blasio has made a proposal for 160 cameras a major piece of Vision Zero, his plan to cut down on pedestrian traffic fatalities. The city currently has only 20 cameras and can’t add more without Albany authorization.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-56033100-1396442044_thumb.jpg

There's only 20 cameras out there right now? Could have sworn there are much more than that. Anyways, as much as I think it would help (since I got the 'need for speed' syndrome out of me during my teen years), I don't think it would help significantly.

What I do hope is that it doesn't cause problems like today's bull-crap red light cameras.

Slightly off-topic but why does my post have an ad-link..or is it just showing on my part?

I don't see anything on my screen with you or your comments of an ad link so it must be you

Cars will go slower, congestion will increase, pedestrians will grow bolder and do somersaults across the street. I don't see how this will help. 

You hit everything on the head.  Its additional harassment plain and simple 

Cars will go slower, congestion will increase, pedestrians will grow bolder and do somersaults across the street. I don't see how this will help. 

Yeah, no. None of these things.

You hit everything on the head.  Its additional harassment plain and simple 

People shouldn't be speeding. Speeders have every right to be harassed. No sympathy from me.

Pardon an injection of facts, but ...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/nyc_ped_safety_study_action_plan.pdf

A few salient quotations:

In New York City, 74% of pedestrian KSI crashes occurred at intersections. This stands in sharp contrast with the rest of the United States, where pedestrians are mainly killed at non-intersection locations (76% in 2008).

Nearly half (47%) of pedestrian fatalities and severe injuries occurred at signalized intersections; surprisingly, most (57%) of these crashes occurred while the pedestrian was crossing with the signal. This suggests that both drivers’ failure to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk as well as pedestrians’ failure to follow traffic signals are both significant factors leading to KSI crashes at intersections. 

The most common reason listed for a crash was driver inattention, a factor in 36% of pedestrian KSI crashes. 

In New York City, the failure of drivers to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk is a major factor in pedestrian crashes; 27% of pedestrian KSI crashes involved a pedestrian crossing with the signal and the driver’s failure to yield. 

More pedestrians are struck while crossing the street with the signal (27% of pedestrian KSI) than crossing against the signal (20% of pedestrian KSI).

Speed-related factors are major contributors to pedestrian KSI crashes. 21% of all pedestrian KSI crashes could be attributed to factors such as speeding, limited sight distance, slippery pavement (i.e. driving too fast to stop under prevailing weather conditions). Yet, a recent series of DOT-sponsored focus groups found that most New York City residents were unaware of the city’s default speed limit (30 mph). Moreover, failing to drive at an appropriate speed (often lower than 30 mph) that matches local conditions is illegal and can lead to pedestrian crashes. Pedestrian KSI crashes involving “unsafe vehicle speeds” are twice as deadly as others (20% vs. 10%). 

Senior pedestrians (over 65 years old) accounted for 38% of all pedestrian fatalities and 28% of severe injuries, yet seniors only constitute 12% of New York City’s population.

Private passenger cars dominate pedestrian KSI crashes, accounting for 79% of the total. Even in taxi-saturated Manhattan, only 16% of pedestrian KSI crashes involved a taxi or livery car. Similarly, trucks (4%) and buses (3%) only accounted for small proportions of pedestrian KSI crashes citywide. 

By state law, the city's speed cameras are only in operation from 7:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., and they only issue tickets to drivers speeding by more than 10 mph. If you speed by merely 9 mph, or at night, you're off the hook. If that's too much of an imposition to you, then perhaps you shouldn't be driving.

Part of the problem with crossing with the lights is that. The pedestrian crossing is the same as the street and if anyone wants to make a turn they're essentially suck since there is no turn on red. So they have to separate them some how or off set them so that cars are able to turn without worrying about pedestrians

I must be the unfortunate one to only witness the other half of the stated "facts" that AndrewJC posted. Because primarily, the area of Chinatown in Manhattan pretty much outweighs all the facts that were posted. Unfortunately, even though they are listed as "facts," there are numerous locations where you can clearly see the pedestrians violate the "law" on when and where to cross the streets.

Archived