New Subway Map Highlights Weekend, Overnight Service

realizm

map_service_guide2014_640px_zpsb1bdfefb.

September 18th, 2014

Pop quiz: It’s a beautiful Saturday afternoon, and a family wants to spend it at the Museum of Natural History. They’ve never been there before and decide to take the subway. What subway line should they take?

With the latest update to the New York City Transit subway map, the answer has never been clearer. New Yorkers and visitors can navigate the subway system more easily on weekends and late nights (midnight to 6 a.m. daily) with a handy new service guide in the subway map.

The maps, which are available for free at subway booths and some commuter railroad stations beginning September 2014, have a new and larger map key in the upper right corner that directs the reader’s attention to regular weekend and overnight service. It also includes brief descriptions that offer alternatives or information on how service on some subway lines differ on weekends and overnights from their regular weekday service.

Read more: Source

Now we just need to make sure they read and comprehend.

Several years ago, I had a family ask me if "This is the track where we get the 2 train to Tavern on the Green, right?"

While he was pointing to the downtown track...

at Canal Street...

on the Nassau/Centre Street platform.

And don't get me started on the number of people who've given me that "You have two heads" look when I tell them they're on the wrong A train...

I still don't understand why they denoted the M terminating at Myrtle. They should have denoted the M terminating at Essex St during the weekends. They do have a separate map for Late Night Services.

They likely reverted to an old map, showing the (R) going through, and forgot to update the change on the (M).

It does the top shows weekend service while the bottom shows LATE NIGHT SERVICE.

This is something "Service Guide" that used to be on the old maps. It should have never been removed.

A lot of useful info was lost when they got rid of the old map format with line by line guides on one side (which told you cross streets, bus connections, and loosely the hours that trains stopped at each station), and the map which showed the most common service patterns, but with notes in the service guide section.

Less info was given when they decided to ditch the line by line guides to add a commuter rail map, which in my opinion should be a separate map.

At least it's good they're adding a form of the service guide back though.

I think this is as good as the old table, because the map itself shows you the basic service pattern, and the table now shows just the off-hour deviations.

If they went with a individual line drawing like the Weekender (new Vignelli) or Kick map, with shading for part time service, that would be as good as the individual line maps.

Archived