MTA/NYC DOT to start joint study to improve traffic problems in Jamaica Queens.

Shortline Bus

Here an intresting article in which both the MTA and NYC DOT will 'study' to examine if any changes in bus service in Jamaica Queens is needed.

MTA Buses slowed by traffic in Jamaica, Queens to be focus of major study gridlock issue

BY John Lauinger

Tuesday, June 16th 2009

MARY WASHINGTON of St. Albans wore a look of frustration on her face as she waited for the Q9 bus in downtown Jamaica one morning last week.

"I've been waiting for over 20 minutes now," said Washington, 65, a home health aide and regular Q9 rider. She blamed the all-too routine delays on the ever-present gridlock on downtown Jamaica's streets.

"This bus is automatically slow - slow in the morning in rush hour, slow in the evening coming back," she added.

City transportation officials will soon begin searching for ways to end riders' daily watch-checking agony.

Working with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the Department of Transportation plans to spend roughly $600,000 to figure out how to make buses circulate more efficiently through downtown Jamaica, Queens' most important transit hub.

A total of 44 MTA bus lines from Queens, Brooklyn and Nassau County(via MTA Long Island bus) bus routes pass through downtown Jamaica, servicing as high as some 400,000 riders each weekday, according to the MTA.

The study grew out of an ill-fated attempt to establish Bus Rapid Transit - a system that allows buses to function more like subways - on Merrick Blvd., said Joe Barr, the DOT's director of transit development.

While conducting outreach a few years ago for that failed project, the agency received numerous complaints that Jamaica's congested main arteries - Sutphin and Parsons Blvds., as well as the area of the Archer Ave. and Parsons Blvd Subway station- cause delays that cascade along entire bus routes, Barr said. One of the main goals of the study officals will be to determine if any or all of the 44 MTA bus routes that Serve Jamica should be revised, changed or even cut.

"We looked at the feedback we got and decided this was a better way to focus our efforts," Barr said of the study, expected to begin this summer and to take about six months.

Some advocates and community leaders said the study was a good idea, particularly with Jamaica poised for future growth, courtesy of the sweeping downtown rezoning of 2007.

"Buses have to drop people off in the street because they can't even get at the curb," said Yvonne Reddick, district manager of Community Board 12, which covers the area. "That is definitely not safe."

Quick fixes could include adding lane markers and adjusting parking rules. Creating a bus-only corridor could be one of the long-range solutions. Short-term fixes could be undertaken next year, Barr said.

Several riders and a few bus drivers blamed delays on double-parked vehicles and livery cab drivers who compete with buses for customers and curb space. The Study would also include study to possibly creating a special 'terminal' area for the Livery cab drivers to pick up/drop passengers.

One bus driver railed against livery cabs when questioned. While he spoke, a livery driver stood on a nearby corner yelling "Taxi! Taxi!" to solicit customers, though his car was nowhere to be seen.

"Dollar cabs - get rid of them," the bus driver said. "They block us up. They cut us off."

After the study conclusion, public hearings would be held to determine any MTA proposals for changes in Jamaica bus service.

The Bus changes from this study could take effect as early late in 2010.

c)2009 NY Daily News, Inc.

reactions?

When i was at Fresh Pond Depot the Q54 Runs on Jamicia from Van Wyck to 170th Street. It was horrible, worse the any route i currently do and im at Quill(M6,8,9,14,20,21,22,23,27/50,34/16,42,57,79). For starters they need to keep the cabbies and delivery trucks out of the bus lanes.

When i was at Fresh Pond Depot the Q54 Runs on Jamicia from Van Wyck to 170th Street. It was horrible, worse the any route i currently do and im at Quill(M6,8,9,14,20,21,22,23,27/50,34/16,42,57,79). For starters they need to keep the cabbies and delivery trucks out of the bus lanes.

Dumb question: Would making Jamaica Avenue and or Archer Avenue between Supthin and Merrick.168 Street a 'bus only street' help?

44' NYCT/MTA Bus/LI Bus serve Downtown Jamaica? That is my way too much imo. Why can't routes like the Q54, Q44(should end at Supthin/Archer)Q111/113(should end at Parsons/Archer) etc go 'deep into Jamaica?

By restructure a few bus lines besides enforcing double parked cars and new bus only streets like on Archer Avenue, they could improve things alot.

Jamaica Avenue is the worst CBD/Downtown area (outside of Manhattan)with traffic 7 days a week in all of NYC. Even Fordham Road and Downtown Brooklyn on Sundays is on that bad from times i been to Downtown Jamaica.

I agree those bus lanes have to be clear it would be a start plus take those newbies Traffic Agents and set them up everywhere to get traffic flowing so these buses can move. (K)<R>(3)(Q)(9)(9):cool:

I lived in Jamaica, Queens from 1978 (the year I was born) until August of 1997. During that time, I've seen nothing but traffic jams along Jamaica and Archer Avs. In 1990, the NYCDOT reversed and made Jamaica and Archer Avs ONE-WAY streets.

Jamaica Av was ONE-WAY eastbound from 153rd St to 168th St

Archer Av was ONE-WAY westbound from 168th St to 160th St, (two-way at Jamaica Center) then again from 150th St to Sutphin Blvd (two-way in front of Jamaica L.I.R.R. Station) and then again from 139th St to the Van Wyck Expwy.

Did that plan work? Well, that plan started in April of 1990 and ended in November of 1990...so you tell me.

I would LOVE to see this change for myself. I've on occasion come back to Jamaica and basically WALK to my destinatiions.

As for those livery cabs and dollar vans...they have somewhat of a terminal on Parsons Blvd between Archer and Jamaica Avs next to the movie theater. It's EXCLUSIVELY for them. That's why 160th St is now a TWO-way street again between Jamaica and Archer Avs.

UGH!!!

Archived