Does anyone use Jersey Av.-New Brunswick and N. Elizabeth stations?

Shortline Bus

Does anyone really use the North Elizabeth and Jersey Avenue-New Brunswick station on the Northeast coordior line? I am aware both mentioned stations are *part time stops* but since every month or two when i visit my brother in Southern NJ(he usually picks me up in Trenton)at most i every seen is maybe 3-4 people at a time at either station get off or board.

In last 10years NJT has added stops at Newark Airport, Seacucus and Hamilton so you dont want the NJT to take forever right?

Why cant the Jersey Coast Line stop at all trips on North Elizabeth? Jersey Avenue should be a rush hour stop imo since it close to the main New Brunswick stop. Any reactions?

Jersey Avenue is vital to train who go to NY because Trenton has limited capacity so Jersey Avenue make a vital terminal. As for N. Elizabeth, that should be the way it is. No need to have NJCLs stop there and NEC don't.

I was on a nEC trenton bound local last saturday and it did stop at North Elizabeth. I know it a limited used stop but why keep it open (N Elizabeth)if no one uses it.

Well, obviously some people use North Elizabeth and Jersey Avenue, otherwise they'd be closed.

The former LIRR "Lower Montauk" stations in Queens had unbelievably low ridership (I think the busiest station, Fresh Pond, had something like eleven passengers per day) and there's no reason to keep those open. But North Elizabeth and Jersey Avenue definitely see more use than that.

I was on a nEC trenton bound local last saturday and it did stop at North Elizabeth. I know it a limited used stop but why keep it open (N Elizabeth)if no one uses it.

Well, obviously some people use North Elizabeth and Jersey Avenue, otherwise they'd be closed.

The former LIRR "Lower Montauk" stations in Queens had unbelievably low ridership (I think the busiest station, Fresh Pond, had something like eleven passengers per day) and there's no reason to keep those open. But North Elizabeth and Jersey Avenue definitely see more use than that.

The same points could be made for Mount Tabor (:me:) and Great Notch (:mbl:). NJT actually tried to close the latter. I'm surprised that they haven't tried to close Tabor using the safety excuse (eastbound trains board by having passengers cross the westbound track).

Jersey Avenue should be a rush hour stop imo since it close to the main New Brunswick stop. Any reactions?

Jersey Ave is only used on weekdays. And only RR Westbound(southbound) trains make the stop as there is no Eastbound platform. Not a big deal IMHO. Also it is used quite alot during the day. Plans are in the work to move Jersy ave station to another location along the NEC in the New/North/South Brunswick area with a bigger lot.

North Elizabeth could be removed but I don't think it will be it still generates some ridership and the area around it can warrant a station.

Jersey ave is a regular stop now after new brunswick on a lot of trains.

As brandon said they are going to try and move the station farther towards trenton, possibly rebuilding the abandoned station at Adams, or possibly Monmouth Junction.

As for north elizabeth, i know tons of airport workers, including shuttle bus drivers etc who get off there as well as people who work at the budwiser factory. Lot of history at that station, would be foolish to shut it down just because it doesn't have the same number of pax as some of the other :nec: stations.

If you ask anyone who knows about PRR operations on that stretch between princeton jct and newark penn, you will find out that there are all ready many closed and abandoned stations, including the 2 i listed above, all of which would get healthy ridership nowdays. You'd need more trains per hour though, to serve that many stations.

In any case, all we can do is wait and see what the final developments are involving monmouth junction, jersey ave and adams stations. North elizabeth isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

- A

If anyone wants a list of abandoned PRR stations and their locations I can provide it along that portion of the NEC. Don't know if I should start another topic though.

New topic, link here. Thanks (:o!

- A

Archived