Metro North hiring process

jayt123

Just because you have taken and passed the written test is no guarantee that you will get called. However, it is a good first step. Now you will have a comprehensive back ground check performed. As long as the back ground results are favorable, then you will be placed into a pool of candidates for further consideration. If the background check results are not favorable, you will not be notified at all.

If you are to get called for an interview, it could be in 6 months or it could be in 2 years. If I remember correctly, the last time the coach cleaner job was listed it was for "future vacancies". This was also advertised during the recent hiring freeze which has since been lifted.

Good luck.

Just because you have taken and passed the written test is no guarantee that you will get called. However, it is a good first step. Now you will have a comprehensive back ground check performed. As long as the back ground results are favorable, then you will be placed into a pool of candidates for further consideration. If the background check results are not favorable, you will not be notified at all.

If you are to get called for an interview, it could be in 6 months or it could be in 2 years. If I remember correctly, the last time the coach cleaner job was listed it was for "future vacancies". This was also advertised during the recent hiring freeze which has since been lifted.

Good luck.

It can take more then 2 yrs you know, since they pick the person by the highest score in the exam and way down the list. If im correct.

It can take more then 2 yrs you know, since they pick the person by the highest score in the exam and way down the list. If im correct.

Actually this is different than NYCT. He gets placed in a pool, not on a list. A pool, anyone can get called at any time, in any order. It's only when you're on a list that they call you in order by score.

all this testing and waiting to become a janitor?? sheesh..

I think that MNR cleaners are the highest paid cleaners in the country, they probably make more than a T/O does for the TA.

As has been said, there is no list with Metro North. Upon passing tests you are placed into a pool being it's not civil service. The testing is there to make it competitive.

As far as "janitors" making more than T/O's in the TA? I can assure you they don't. While at one time we may have been the highest paid in the country, I believe LIRR pays more now. I know for a fact they do in some crafts, I don't know if they do for custodians or coach cleaners (which are two separate crafts in MNR).

As far as "janitors" making more than T/O's in the TA? I can assure you they don't. While at one time we may have been the highest paid in the country, I believe LIRR pays more now. I know for a fact they do in some crafts, I don't know if they do for custodians or coach cleaners (which are two separate crafts in MNR).

I didn't know that LIRR paid more in any title than MNR. For engineers MNR pays something like $8 more an hour than LIRR and $14 more an hour than TA.

I didn't know that LIRR paid more in any title than MNR. For engineers MNR pays something like $8 more an hour than LIRR and $14 more an hour than TA.

I believe top pay for a Locomotive Engineer at MNR is $37.91, which is reached at the start of the sixth year within that title. Please don't quote me on that, but the opening was listed sometime last year on the web site.

all this testing and waiting to become a janitor?? sheesh..

Hey, a job is a job. Put an ad in the newspaper seeking Coach Cleaners for $25 an hour and there would be a line from Grand Central to Times Square.

are you comparing locomotive engineer to train operator? i think locomotive engineer is a much more technical job which needs some college background. i know they both sit in the front of the train but i think locomotive engineers are responsible for fixing the train when something goes wrong

Hey, a job is a job. Put an ad in the newspaper seeking Coach Cleaners for $25 an hour and there would be a line from Grand Central to Times Square.

I see your point. I now see this as a good idea to weed out the stupid people (and by stupid I mean people who lack basic common sense) from getting the job, who could be a liability.

It's more like $3 more not 8. Penalty pay is why the LIRR get paid less an hour but don't get paid less in general.

are you comparing locomotive engineer to train operator? i think locomotive engineer is a much more technical job which needs some college background. i know they both sit in the front of the train but i think locomotive engineers are responsible for fixing the train when something goes wrong

You're wrong. The name's are different because transit isn't federally regulated so you don't have to qualify for your license every year. For the engineers the conductor and brake man are responsible for alot of the stuff like preparing the train for service. A T/O has to do everything the C/R opens and closes the doors and deal with the public only.

Archived