R40M #4460 - #4461

LandoftheLost

Personally, I really hope they keep the Willy-B pair because I don't think the MTA is preserving R40Ms, but R40 Slants only. If anything they should keep the R40M/R42 mismated pair. It's a shame that they didn't keep the R32s and R38s that were mismated.

There is an R40M pair intended to be saved, and there is also an R42 pair intended to be saved.

There could not be an R32-R38 mismate saved because none existed.

No R38 was ever mated to another car than its intended original mate.

An R32 was mismated to an R38. Don''t forget that all B Division car classes from R32 through R42 can run together.

Furthermore, While no longer in service, 4461 survived to this day, although as a slant.

Well obviously, the slants are no longer in service, but R40 #4260 was involved in an accident and scrapped. R40M 4461 was rebuilt into a slant and coupled to another R40 Slant. So the R40M 4461 was coupled to the R42 that had no partner.

Sure, I am aware that they will keep one pair of R42s and R40Ms, but theoretically speaking, they should still keep the R40M/R42 oddball pair.

An R32 was mismated to an R38. Don''t forget that all B Division car classes from R32 through R42 can run together.

Yes all R32-R42 can run together but mating two subway cars (? - LOL) is different than coupling pairs to form a train.

There were a few mismatched R32 pairs, but I don't recall any R32's being "mated" to R38's. Mixed consists (R32-R32--R38-R38) is different than two cars paired as mates (R32-R38--R38-R38).

Maybe you are thinking of the R-32 car that was renumbered (but still mated to another R-32)?

Yes all R32-R42 can run together but mating two subway cars (? - LOL) is different than coupling pairs to form a train.

There were a few mismatched R32 pairs, but I don't recall any R32's being "mated" to R38's. Mixed consists (R32-R32--R38-R38) is different than two cars paired as mates (R32-R38--R38-R38).

Maybe you are thinking of the R-32 car that was renumbered (but still mated to another R-32)?

No, there were some R32s what were mismated with an R38, I'm sure of it. B-end to B-end. I'll see if a picture is out there.

No, there were some R32s what were mismated with an R38, I'm sure of it. B-end to B-end. I'll see if a picture is out there.

Lets see the proof, pictures or it never happened.:cool: Really though, I have never heard of that or seen it in pictures or in person.

As was said earlier, NO R38s were mated to ANY other car than their original mate. Not even to another R38. Every wreck involving R38s destroyed both cars in the pair.

4461 was rebuilt as a slant, taking extensive parts from 4260, including its number. The rebuilt 4260 never ran, as 4259 was never finished, It was renumbered back to 4461 and is used for FDNY training.

Archived