Singles vs Fixed/Married Pairs

lilbluefoxie

Is there any design advantage to the fixed/married pairs over the single car setups? I would think the single car arragnements are better since theres a lot more flexibility.

I posted this somewhere else but its too late for me to try to find the big post right now...

In short, it cuts down on weight (which cuts down on wear on track), cuts down on parts per car, which also cuts down on needed repair work shops will have to do over the cars lifetimes.

Also, with the weight factor, the married cars have different equipment on an odd-car and the even-car. If all the equipment were added on just one car, it'd be too heavy. Some cars today are too heavy for certain parts of the subway. R44s and R46s are not used on Brighton because nearby residents complain of excessive rumbling. It may have to do with the fact that the line is old, but weight mainly comes into play here.

Cars these days are now being built into 4 or 5-car sets. I believe this also cuts down on the weight.

Also, with the weight factor, the married cars have different equipment on an odd-car and the even-car. If all the equipment were added on just one car, it'd be too heavy. Some cars today are too heavy for certain parts of the subway. R44s and R46s are not used on Brighton because nearby residents complain of excessive rumbling. It may have to do with the fact that the line is old, but weight mainly comes into play here.

Cars these days are now being built into 4 or 5-car sets. I believe this also cuts down on the weight.

but arent the r68s heavier then the r44/46s?

I heard that was why the R32 wasnt used on the (Q)

no, R32s have ran on the Brighton Line in the past. they are among the lightest "B" Division cars in the system. if you go on nycsubway.org, you will see lots of old pictures of R32s on the Brighton Line. R32s ran on the (Q) following 9/11 and during the second half of 2004. they also ran on the (:P in the first half of 2007.

im in favor of married pairs but i am oppsed to four and five car sets because i think that does limit the flexibility of moving cars around specially in the b division with the eastern brooklyn bmts limited wit 8 60 foot cars as opposed to the rest of the b division can use up to 10 car 60 foot cars or 8 75 foot cars as with the 160s if u made them two car married sets they could run on any part of the b division as opposed to the four car sets can only one on bmt eastern division and five car sets limited to the rest of the b division

but arent the r68s heavier then the r44/46s?

They actually are. But maybe there's something different about the R68s which is why they haven't been given the boot off of Brighton or West End. Just keep in mind that R40 Slants couldn't run on Brighton during late nights because of the same problem.

Archived