Edison quiet zone

Harry

Why the hell would you live next to a railroad and then expect them to be quiet?

I was having dinner with my girlfriend in Belmar today I could hear the NJ Transit trains going by behind the restaurant and was thinking that it must be cool to live next to an active railroad. Especially NJ Transit. She didn't necessarily agree with me.

That is a fact of life living in the Jersey suburbs. I live about 2 miles from the nearest rail line and on a really quiet day I can still hear the trains going by.

I also live about maybe a mile away or more from the railroad and I still hear the train horns but they really blast them where I live because they have about 5 grade crossings within a very close distance.

Eric

I also live about maybe a mile away or more from the railroad and I still hear the train horns but they really blast them where I live because they have about 5 grade crossings within a very close distance.

I never noticed in Belmar that there were like 5-6 grade crossings in a row. I knew the NJCL (Belmar) was polluted with grade crossings but I never realized they were so close to each other.

I never noticed in Belmar that there were like 5-6 grade crossings in a row. I knew the NJCL (Belmar) was polluted with grade crossings but I never realized they were so close to each other.

Once you get out of Matawan on the NJCL you really start to see the railroad crossings. There are a lot of them.

Eric

Ohh yea they are literally one ofter another

Belmarcrossings.jpg

Bigger pic:http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/Gandalf0444/Belmarcrossings.jpg

Just south of last pic

Belmarcrossings2.jpg

Bigger pic:http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/Gandalf0444/Belmarcrossings2.jpg

I definately won't mind living next to a railroad, especially a line running Arrow IIIs at least.

Now, what I can hear in my home is HBLR, especially during winter, trains passing by on the West Side Branch. Now I live not so far from the only two grade crossings that actually have gates, so when HBLR first started, when approaching the two crossing, operators really blasted the horns. I was able to sleep through it, others around disagreed with me harshly......

Residents fought hard to stop NJT from blasting horns and was rid quickly. HBLR started service April, 2000, the horn blasting ended about June or July of 2000.

I have a train that is pretty much in my backyard,it doesn't bother me!!! It passes evey hour or so,speaking of which here it comes:p

I live less than half a block from the (2) station, so I hear the noises at all hours of the night. I've lived here as long as I can remember (since I was four years old), so I'm used to it now.

• 1 month later...
I'm a bit confused as to the notion of a 'quiet zone' in Edison, as there are no grade crossings along the NEC in the area. Perhaps the quiet zone is for a freight line?

Yes you're right. It was an article about the freight trains but it drifted into NJT. It was the tracks across Inman and Tingley Avenues. They were supposed to build a new interlocking to cut down on the train horn noise.

Archived