City Institutes First Of Nine Holiday Gridlock Alert Days

Trainspotter

City Institutes First Of Nine Holiday Gridlock Alert Days

NY1 News

November 16, 2007

nyc_traffic.jpg

City transportation officials are urging New Yorkers to use mass transit to get around town today – the first of nine holiday gridlock alert days in the city.

More than any other days, the city chooses key days during the holiday as days to encourage drivers to switch to public transportation.

There are nine gridlock alert days in all. The next one is next Wednesday the 21st, followed by November 28th, December 7th, 13th, 14th, 19th, 20th, and 21st.

The city is trying out red-tinted bus lanes on 57th Street in Manhattan and Fordham Road in the Bronx to see how well they keep out unauthorized drivers. And in an effort to keep the streets safer, the city is adding more police to busy areas of Manhattan to reduce traffic violations.

Some drivers NY1 spoke with weren't too happy with the gridlock rules or the traffic.

"Aw, this is unbelievable. I come from Westchester, and it sucks,” said one driver. “I got to go to work.”

“Oh man, traffic is hectic man,” added another. “I can't even get to do my deliveries. It's really hell.”

“Always traffic – I hate traffic,” said a third.

Mass Transit is the way to travel; hence, you still have those people who dont want to sit in traffic, but their out on the road with their own car. figures..:eek:

I agree with you. If they don't want to sit in traffic, and hate it so much, THEY should stop creating it.

Yesterday I drove from Long Island City Queens into the Queens-Midtown tunnel, then crosstown thru Manhattan into the Lincoln Tunnel. What a nightmare that was. I couldn't take mass transit so I had to drive into Jersey to make it to a graduation. It took me one hour to get from 37th street and 1st Avenue (Queens-Midtown Tunnel exit) to 37th street and 12th avenue (Lincoln Tunnel entrance). I hope I don't ever have to do that anytime soon during this time of the year.:mad:

Yesterday I drove from Long Island City Queens into the Queens-Midtown tunnel, then crosstown thru Manhattan into the Lincoln Tunnel. What a nightmare that was. I couldn't take mass transit so I had to drive into Jersey to make it to a graduation. It took me one hour to get from 37th street and 1st Avenue (Queens-Midtown Tunnel exit) to 37th street and 12th avenue (Lincoln Tunnel entrance). I hope I don't ever have to do that anytime soon during this time of the year.:mad:

Helping creating traffic, huh?

I wonder if you would have went down to Canal St. and use the Holla Tunnel or went down the FDR and came back up the West Side H'way would it have made a difference. When I drove OTR coaches even if the Cross Bronx was the most direct route, I would go around the Bruckner and either go up the Deegan, or go to the FDR and head to the GWB. Sometimes it pays to go around traffic, than sit in it.

Archived