R40Ms/R42s on Culver?!

LRG

Sorry, no photo evidence, my stupid phone camera has a mind of its own. :mad: Good thing I'm getting a digital camera this Friday for the FAn Trip coming up this Sunday.

But anyways, yes, I was waiting for a (G) train at Fourth Avenue when I saw R40Ms/R42s! But they didn't read (F), or the (G). The end cars read (V) and all the cars in between read (R), so I was really wondering, what the heck were (V) or even (R) trains doing on Culver, especially since the (R) stops downstairs?

I saw it at 7:30. Anyone else seen it?

I've heard about this before, and I might be wrong. Sometimes there is a gap in (F) service in Brooklyn and they send a few (V) trains down. Not sure if that is the case.

Maybe but I have no idea why 4/5ths of the train were signed as the (R). That's what confused me.

Mis-signed, I guess

Probably....

Yeah if there a service problem the take trains off the (V) and put them on that subway line thats having problems.

Especially if there was a gap in (F) service, but then there would be a gap in (V) service going uptown....

I've heard about this before, and I might be wrong. Sometimes there is a gap in (F) service in Brooklyn and they send a few (V) trains down. Not sure if that is the case.

Why not turn the (V) to an (F) at 2nd Avenue?

Why not turn the (V) to an (F) at 2nd Avenue?

I guess that's what they probably do but the changes aren't physical. Remember, if you're operating the R32/R40M/R42, then that involves physical labor of changing the signs which will take a good 7-10 minutes. And then you'll get carpal tunnel.

This is why the (V) needs to be R160. If so, then the trains can be shared with the (F) if needed, since they are basically the same train (one goes to Brooklyn, the other doesn't; one goes along 53rd, the other along 63rd; one operates local in Queens, the other express) but you catch my drift. The (V) is just a variant of the (F). They even are on the same schedules. But that's my say.

I know, and before 1967, they could have, I just wanted to throw that fact out there.

Well that true going west, going east?! The track use to continue to Alphabet city and hit a solid wall. In 1987, the MTA yanked the tracks out and put a false wall. In 2001, they put a cement barricade to prevent the homeless from using the abandoned tunnel. So back then it was impossible for a "express" train to go to Brooklyn. The (V) will never go to Brooklyn via Express tracks unless Danny Phantom was driving the train and turned it into ghost form so it can go through the walls.

I know, and before 1967, they could have, I just wanted to throw that fact out there.

Nope, going the opposite direction yes. Just like now. But going east, no. The centre tracks are physically extended to a point under Avenue A, because the local tracks have to round the curve under it. They knew they would like to extend the centre tracks into Williamsburg, but that was for "a later phase", in order to facilitate and anticipate for this "later phase" only a few hundred feet of these tracks were extended eastward.

I guess that's what they probably do but the changes aren't physical. Remember, if you're operating the R32/R40M/R42, then that involves physical labor of changing the signs which will take a good 7-10 minutes. And then you'll get carpal tunnel.

This is why the (V) needs to be R160. If so, then the trains can be shared with the (F) if needed, since they are basically the same train (one goes to Brooklyn, the other doesn't; one goes along 53rd, the other along 63rd; one operates local in Queens, the other express) but you catch my drift. The (V) is just a variant of the (F). They even are on the same schedules. But that's my say.

There was a Problem in (F) service and they sent a few (V) trains down there, Also The (V) is planned to get the R160's but it would be the last QB line to get them, The (R) is still getting them after the (R) then the (V), I still don't know about the (G) when it comes for the (G) getting R160's.

Archived