Question about Subway power

SubaruWRX

On my trips during the night it had me thinking.. so we know they make power to do the 3rd rail but is the power for the lights in the subway done in house or a outside source?

And has power went off in any stations over the years that the subway has been active?

On my trips during the night it had me thinking.. so we know they make power to do the 3rd rail but is the power for the lights in the subway done in house or a outside source?

And has power went off in any stations over the years that the subway has been active?

most power comes from substations that the ta has. they also get power from coned. also power has gone off in stations and they usually have trains bypass till power is restored. it happened one night i was working the (6) the lights went out at 143st so we skipped it.

most power comes from substations that the ta has. they also get power from coned. also power has gone off in stations and they usually have trains bypass till power is restored. it happened one night i was working the (6) the lights went out at 143st so we skipped it.

I was informed by an acquaintance of mine, a senior man within the traction power department, that the TA has a Consolidated-Edison bill in the neighborhood of $1 million PER DAY for power supply.

And while the third rail is 625 volts of direct current (VDC), all signals lights are power using alternate current at whatever voltage is used. (VAC)

Archived