(3) Trains extended to 34 St

mark1447

No, I was saying I hoped that those increases would eventually lead to that.

Okay, but where would (3) trains turn? If they use 42nd Street, won't it tie in with the (2) or will the headways at night make that irrelevant?

Well, I have always thought that the (2) and the (5) should run from The Bronx to midtown (via express) late nights, while the (3) and the (4) would run local in Manhattan and service Brooklyn. The (4) could serve Flatbush at nights, while the (3) could run 24/7 to New Lots Avenue.

No, it would be local from 96th, replacing the (2) which would become expres again. (and at night, the trafffic would be light enough as to not cause delays).

Well, if the ridership is high enough for them to make the (2) and (4) local... Running them express would be for the outer boro ridersgoing to the more busier express stops. Now, if there are enough riders to have all that service combined; I'm not sure. Still, it never seemed right that Brooklyn or Bronx riders heading to midtown had to make all of those extra stops just so people using the local stops can have 10 minute instead of 20 minute headways (especially after the displaced riders had waited their 20 minutes). So it's an idea, and I saw this new (3) midnight service as making it hopeful.

hmm ok...i always simply thought those trains switched to local service because of lower rider ship numbers at that current period of time...like why have all those express trains late night when so few people would be on them. But like I said, since you work underground you should have better insight than I do on the matter. So I figured I'd ask and learn.

I think that change occurred before I came down here. So it was just like any other railfan following subway changes, I heard that it was so that the locals could have 10 minute headways. I believe the MTA stated this when making the change.

Okay, but where would (3) trains turn? If they use 42nd Street, won't it tie in with the (2) or will the headways at night make that irrelevant?

South Ferry, as was earlier said. That way, Manhattan would have the increased local service.

So are they thinking about making the (3) to 34th street permanent?. I see for the next few weeks this detour:

(3)Trains run local in both directions between 96 and 34 Sts

Late night, 12:30 AM to 5:15 AM Tue to Fri,

• Please allow additional travel time.

And the next few weekends this detour:

(3) Trains extended to 34 St

Late night, 12:01 AM to 5 AM Sat to Mon,

Trains are extended to 34 St during the late night.

Archived