A bit of a problem; how would you react?

LRG

Today I was at Bedford Park Boulevard today and waited for the R32 (;) to come today. I picked up a camcorder and a tripod from my college and I was hoping to catch it to record a good video (w/o the tripod, of course). So I recorded a (:P train (R68) and when the train pulled into the station i finished recording a gut from the signal room came to the platform and said that I can't record the trains because that's considered illegal, which we all know for a fact IT ISN'T!!! A few minutes later a cop came and asked me what was I doing with the camera and tripod, and I said that it was for a film project for my class, which does happen to be the case. He also said that I was recording something (I changed the tape) and gave me a warning not to carry equipment like a tripod on the train. The school didn't give me a friggin bag to carry the tripod in, why I don't know.

I've been taking pictures and videos with a crummy cell phone for the past few months, and no one has said anything about it, no cops, nothing. All of a sudden I'm carrying semi-professional equipment and it's a huge problem. Why are cops treating railfans like this. He even said that my action could be considered terroristic, which offended me greatly. I didn't fit the profile of a terrorist, he said, but I was still pissed off about this. II even calmly explained to him that according to the rules, filming and photography is permitted, so long as no ancillary equipment such as lighting or a tripod isn't set up; no avail. So my question is: how long do we have to endure such harassment from the cops over taking pictures of the trains that we love? Is railfanning dead? Should we even endure their harassment anymore over a hobby? How come birdwatchers don't run into trouble like this? And most importantly, what would you have done about this?

If you're carrying a tripod then it should be assumed that you're actually using it. And as you know, photography in the system while using a tripod is illegal.

Even without the tripod, a lot of photographers are getting a lot of flack by cops and employees. It is legal to do, but you're still gonna have to deal with the agita.

If you're carrying a tripod then it should be assumed that you're actually using it. And as you know, photography in the system while using a tripod is illegal.

Even without the tripod, a lot of photographers are getting a lot of flack by cops and employees. It is legal to do, but you're still gonna have to deal with the agita.

I wish the school gave me a bag for it. Maybe the cops wouldn't have made huge fuss if it was put away. After this, the school will definitely issue tripod bags.

Ditto.

I wish the school gave me a bag for it. Maybe the cops wouldn't have made huge fuss if it was put away. After this, the school will definitely issue tripod bags.

Chances are that they would have made a fuss anyway. Cops and cameras don't mix.

It is 100% legal to take pictures in the system, but the NYPD issues internal directives to crack down on photographers. This city is bass ackwards.

I sometimes use a monopod to make videos which is legal but tripod are not

Yup, I saw you with one, at the 207th Street trip. I'm surprised a cop hasn't stopped you yet and you have 400+ videos on your YouTube page!

Chances are that they would have made a fuss anyway. Cops and cameras don't mix.

It is 100% legal to take pictures in the system, but the NYPD issues internal directives to crack down on photographers. This city is bass ackwards.

I think it's time I get a car...I love the subway and everything but if I have to deal with the damn cops and T/A people when it comes to photography while I'm railfanning then to hell with it, I won't use the TA anymore to get around if it comes to that.

So my question is: how long do we have to endure such harassment from the cops over taking pictures of the trains that we love? Is railfanning dead? Should we even endure their harassment anymore over a hobby? How come birdwatchers don't run into trouble like this? And most importantly, what would you have done about this?

No, railfanning is not dead. I railfan often and I have never been stopped by the police, then again I do not take photos since there really is no point to do so any more, at least in my opinion. There are tons of photos of the system online already and I think it is alot more fun to ride the trains then to run around taking pics of them. As for what I would have done? If I had a tripod on me, the last thing I would have done would be taking photos. By doing that, you are drawing unnecessary attention to your self. I would have just gone on my way home.

I don't get it, so you can't bring a tripod in the system even when its not being used? Of course I know Tripods and flash is illegal. But photography solo is purely legal, depending on where your taking pics and what ever you are using.

Is it legal to use tripods for taking a pics of a bus? [Example nighttime]

I don't get it, so you can't bring a tripod in the system even when its not being used? Of course I know Tripods and flash is illegal. But photography solo is purely legal, depending on where your taking pics and what ever you are using.

Is it legal to use tripods for taking a pics of a bus? [Example nighttime]

He was taking pics while he had a tripod in plain sight. If I were the police officer, I would have thought he was using the tripod to take photos too, why else would he have it then and maybe the whole "it's from my school thing" was a cover story.

No, railfanning is not dead. I railfan often and I have never been stopped by the police, then again I do not take photos since there really is no point to do so any more, at least in my opinion. There are tons of photos of the system online already and I think it is alot more fun to ride the trains then to run around taking pics of them. As for what I would have done? If I had a tripod on me, the last thing I would have done would be taking photos. By doing that, you are drawing unnecessary attention to your self. I would have just gone on my way home.

I wish I had went straight home...the R32 (:P didn't even run today. ;)

He was taking pics while he had a tripod in plain sight. If I were the police officer, I would have thought he was using the tripod to take photos too, why else would he have it then and maybe the whole "it's from my school thing" was a cover story.

I still don't know how a college does not have a carrying case for a tripod. :confused:

I still don't know how a college does not have a carrying case for a tripod. :confused:

They might have at some time, but I don't think I have ever seen a purpose made tripod case. If it had a "Property of..." sticker on it, that might have helped. Now if you did not get a ticket, I really don't see what the big deal is though.

Why would you need a tripod case? Most photogs who carry a tripod carry it open strapped onto their bag or in their hand/over the shoulder with a camera on it...

Mine has a bag. :cool:

More stuff to get in the way.

For the record, i've used my camera in the subway with a tripod hanging from it. Legs folded & collapsed completely; holding the rig by its legs. Wasn't harassed by anybody...

+1...riding is the fun part.

They might have at some time, but I don't think I have ever seen a purpose made tripod case. If it had a "Property of..." sticker on it, that might have helped. Now if you did not get a ticket, I really don't see what the big deal is though.

There are tripod cases/bags...I just looked on B&H (that photo store run by the Jews in Manhattan), so there are tripod cases out there. I just checked the tripod and it does not say "property of College of Staten Island", but the bag that houses the camcorder does. I didn't get a ticket, but I'm still distraught over the fact that T/A employees don't even know their own rules. If photography in the subway was illegal, then I bet that you wouldn't see a single photo of the subway on nycsubway.org or anywhere else; the police or the TA would probably have them taken down. That's what got me mad, because there are so many photos and videos of the subway online and without a doubt, many of these people have endured the same with cops. I don't think that railfans, people who enjoy riding the subway, witnessing how things are changing, the subway cars both new and old, should be the epicenter of the cops crackdown on terrorism, despite the fact that we are living in a post-9/11 world.

Why would you need a tripod case? Most photogs who carry a tripod carry it open strapped onto their bag or in their hand/over the shoulder with a camera on it...

The one I had was rather bulky, so it wouldn't have fit in an ordinary bag.

There are tripod cases/bags...I just looked on B&H (that photo store run by the Jews in Manhattan), so there are tripod cases out there. I just checked the tripod and it does not say "property of College of Staten Island", but the bag that houses the camcorder does. I didn't get a ticket, but I'm still distraught over the fact that T/A employees don't even know their own rules. If photography in the subway was illegal, then I bet that you wouldn't see a single photo of the subway on nycsubway.org or anywhere else; the police or the TA would probably have them taken down. That's what got me mad, because there are so many photos and videos of the subway online and without a doubt, many of these people have endured the same with cops. I don't think that railfans, people who enjoy riding the subway, witnessing how things are changing, the subway cars both new and old, should be the epicenter of the cops crackdown on terrorism, despite the fact that we are living in a post-9/11 world.

My thought is, that by taking pictures you can look suspicious to your average commuter and they will call the police. Once the police get a call of suspicious activity they need to look into it. I'm sure it pisses them off when they get a call that turns out to be some kid taking photos of a train. And yes, sometimes when people take photos, they look very suspicious.

What are the legs made out of? Which legs + head is this?

I'm not too familiar with camera equipment. But when collapsed, the tripod measures to be 2.5' long. Set up, about 2 or 3 times as much.

My thought is, that by taking pictures you can look suspicious to your average commuter and they will call the police. Once the police get a call of suspicious activity they need to look into it. I'm sure it pisses them off when they get a call that turns out to be some kid taking photos of a train. And yes, sometimes when people take photos, they look very suspicious.

Oh boy, this is the problem vinster had the other day, people claiming him to be a terrorist when he;s just a kid taking pictures. I can't believe people have stooped to a level where they think kids can hurt them. (It's true though...15 and 16-year-olds murdering each other!) I wonder if Anthony (R33WF) ran into any such trouble like this...he takes pics and vids like crazy!!! :confused:

I don't know what you guys do that you always bring attention. Me and Joe have rail fanned several times with our DSLRs, we pass by cops, MTA employees and no one says anything. One time a C/R even started talking to me about DSLRs and how he loves them. It's all how you compose yourself, if you're quick and defensive they'll think something is not right and continue to press you on.

Archived