Grand Central Terminal

Brighton Local

nice find there I'm curious to what that is also. to bad Amtrak is not at GC anymore.

Thanks... Ahh yes.. Now if there was an AmTrak Turboliner hanging out there, that would be some hot stuff :D

Like Donna Summer says : ' I need Hot stuff baby this evening , I need hot stuff':D:cool:

• 1 month later...

Those 3 cars are used for special runs with MNR VIPs. At least 2 of them (MN1 and MN2) are Ex. Phoebe Snow cars built by Budd Car co. in 1949. The other one, I'm not so sure of - could be a Standard Steel car or a Pullman or a St. Louis Car. They are pulled by a diesel (not self propelled) and also serve as the Christmas train in December, making stops at all the MNR maintenace facilities on the Harlem, Hudson and New Haven Lines to hand out cookies, cider, bagels, coffee. Yes, they are old!

here is some more info: copy and paste this link.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C00E4DF173EF933A25757C0A9639C8B63

Those 3 cars are used for special runs with MNR VIPs. At least 2 of them (MN1 and MN2) are Ex. Phoebe Snow cars built by Budd Car co. in 1949. The other one, I'm not so sure of - could be a Standard Steel car or a Pullman or a St. Louis Car. They are pulled by a diesel (not self propelled) and also serve as the Christmas train in December, making stops at all the MNR maintenace facilities on the Harlem, Hudson and New Haven Lines to hand out cookies, cider, bagels, coffee. Yes, they are old!

here is some more info: copy and paste this link.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C00E4DF173EF933A25757C0A9639C8B63

Dude, thanks for the detailed response and NY Times link. Really interesting stuff on these 'Bad Boys'.

Thanks for the great shots, I love to see these cars! Could you take the pictures unaccustomed? I was always thinking wandering around deserted platforms and taking pictures within GCT would get you immediate attention of the cops...:confused:

Thanks. I took the pictures, yeah unaccustomed. I actually asked the employee who was working on these cars in Grand Central, if I can take the shots. He said , I can take a few quick shots, but if the cops show up... im on my own lol

Thanks. I took the pictures, yeah unaccustomed. I actually asked the employee who was working on these cars in Grand Central, if I can take the shots. He said , I can take a few quick shots, but if the cops show up... im on my own lol
Sorry, I meant to write "unaccosted" by police.

I've been to GCT last year but didn't take any pictures. Maybe I'll try this year but I guess I will ask a police officer before taking any pictures.

Thanks... Ahh yes.. Now if there was an AmTrak Turboliner hanging out there, that would be some hot stuff :P

Like Donna Summer says : ' I need Hot stuff baby this evening , I need hot stuff':D:cool:

If that's what she want, she always could take a curling iron to her who-ha.....If that's what you want you can put it where......back there. Syphilis is hot stuff also.......I don't think any of us need that though......

This caught my eyes in a heartbeat. I was walking through Grand Central, and noticed these 3 coaches hanging out on Track 34. Anybody here have a clue as to what they are?

Something that should keep most redbirds company......

were?

old railcars......

• 2 weeks later...

One must always carry a camera on Metro-North property. We run old cars, antiques, etc., like museum cars, and you never know what you might find...They could park a steam powered crane on Track 40 at GCT for one day and never tell the public!

; )

One must always carry a camera on Metro-North property. We run old cars, antiques, etc., like museum cars, and you never know what you might find...They could park a steam powered crane on Track 40 at GCT for one day and never tell the public!

; )

Nice Man, thats awesome! From the way it sounds, you are employed by Metro North...?;):P

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the great shots, I love to see these cars! Could you take the pictures unaccustomed? I was always thinking wandering around deserted platforms and taking pictures within GCT would get you immediate attention of the cops...:confused:

I wandered around GCT for a good hour once, they had a cop come to the one hallway to "see what i was doing" but he never said anything. I think they know the place is world famous and draws railfans. At NYP i have never been bothered by anyone when i did some platform exploration, though i'm sure i was being monitored by cameras the whole time.

- Andy

Archived